U.P. Michigan trip

BuckeyeSteve

U.P. Michigan trip

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 am

I'm trying to throw together a plan for my first bird hunting trip. My dog is now pretty solid, and I'm wanting to go someplace for a few days where we can find some grouse. I'm loosely planning on the UP, though I was also considering Wisconsin or Minnesota.

If anyone has any good advice for a novice hunter and dog, I'd appreciate insight and suggestions.... especially for areas where I can get on decent public land or where there are enough landowners who are open to giving permission if I knock on doors....and preferably I'm looking for areas with National Forests for dispersed camping or else some good primitive camp grounds (that allow dogs, obviously). This is a tent / hunt trip.

I'm hoping to make this happen in the next 2-3 weeks if I can get a plan put together.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: U.P. Michigan trip

Post by shags » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Try calling the DNR. I've found them to be helpful and friendly.

FWIW, check out Michigan State forest campgrounds too. They have them all over the place, and plenty of times when we've been up there, we have been the only ones in the campground. Depending on how long you're staying, and how much you intend to move around, purchasing a recreation pass from the state (I think around $32) can save you money instead of paying the $8/day fee for state facilities and parking.

Come to think of it, we saw several parties of grouse hunters a few years ago up in the NW corner around Traverse City, in some state forest areas . Sorry, don't remember which, but I bet the DNR guys could point you in the right direction. We hit 3 campgrounds with not a soul around. It's great up there.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:33 am

Thanks Shags! I greatly appreciate it!!

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I generally hunt Iron Co., WI, which borders the western UP. There is something like 100,000 acres of county forest there (just that county), to say nothing of state forest of which there is a bunch more. I expect you'd find much the same in the UP. No lack of places to hunt, more like trouble finding a spot to pick because there is so much to pick from. Not sure about MI, but in WI it seems the county forests are better managed for young forests which attract grouse vs. National forest.

My advice would be to just go. Talk to the DNR. Maybe hit a couple GEMS sites to start out so you see what good cover looks like.

It's wild bird hunting on public land - it's not going to be easy. But if you put the time in to learn the habitat and hunt hard you should find some birds.

Also I found the Northwind Enterprises Grouse Hunting DVD set to the pretty helpful. Order from their website.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:09 am

you will have no trouble finding land to hunt in the up, better have a good gps easy to get lost the aspen covers all look the same
and a lot of wilderness, I say this because you get into birds and following your dog easy to get turned around

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:43 am

Something I found hunting grouse is it's hard to keep track of your dog. I run mine with a Garmin 320 tracking collar. With it on it also shows the route I took and it's easy to get back out! Your track on it is a different color than the dog's! I don't know what they run now but mine was $550 about 10 or 12 years ago and was definitely worth the money.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!