The old man gets a turkey w/pics

crittercontrol

The old man gets a turkey w/pics

Post by crittercontrol » Thu May 03, 2007 7:15 am

After last years "wasted" turkey tag, spent scouting and camping, I needed some heavy duty counseling. I mean I had wasted a coveted Utah wild turkey tag...and it was nobody's fault but my own!!!

Luckily, I'm a fast learner...and while I can't put in for a couple more years, my father was able to successfully draw the same tag this year. I would be his guide.

The trip started out great. Critters abound in Utah's wild turkey woods.
Mule Deer

Waxwings

This mighty fella was keepin' the peace.

We arrived and set up camp. Since we had about an hour before dark, off we headed to locate some birds for the mornings' hunt.

The sign was plentiful. Notice the scrapes in the leaf litter.

Hopefully the full moon would keep 'em talking till we got there.

I found this little spot last year...it was devoid of Turkeys then...but there was lots of sign. A few yips on the coyote call and we got a response.
Click the box below to view video
<object><param></param><param></param><embed></embed></object>

With birds located, we headed for camp. Even if it was only .59 miles away...the darkness and the terrain made the return treacherous. (plus I'm afraid of the dark!:cry: ) But we slept soundly knowing we'd put 'em to bed.

The next morning was picturesque. The birds were in the tree's on both the right and left sides of this clearing.

And we waited.

And waited. The birds were gobbling to our left and right...but soon they started to head for the hills...not for us! Time to act quick.

We sneaked out of the set, ready to make another move. As we crept around towards were we last heard the gobbling I heard the arrant cluck of a hen. We struck off to intercept 'em, and a few "clucks and purrs" from me brought the whole lot of 'em right to our lap!

First a Hen peered around a tree, followed by two others (the bizatches stole my gobblers away!:evil: ) Then the characteristic bright red heads of two Jakes appeared. And finally, taking up the rear was a Tom. Blue headed, tail flared, with wings a draggin'!

It all happened so fast. The hens made us...but not quick enough...they left without a Tom.

And my dad was admiring his first Merriam's Wild Turkey.

The old 20 Ga. does the job again.

For all you eastern boys, take a look at the color on this head! Gotta love the Merriam's Turkey.

19 Lbs aint all that big for a turkey...but when you're 63 and you gotta haul it a mile...it can be a tall offer (I helped him out a bit :wink:)

Notice the broken wing tips. A telltale sign he's been doing some major strutting.

Should have brought the poles...bound to be some Brookies in there...

I've found water to be an important element in finding western turkeys.

What a neat bird. These Merriam's sure do have a "bubbley" look to their heads. When he came struttin' in his head was Sky Blue!!!

Bronze.

In the buff.

8.5" Beard

While the old fella didn't have very big spurs...his weathered feet showed his age...

The old man was sure happy. He didn't know you could hunt turkeys like this, and in one of the most beautiful places in the county. Thanks for coming along (hope ya'all didn't have dial-up :wink: ) and happy trails.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu May 03, 2007 7:52 am

Well done story, well done!!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

tuckerdog

Post by tuckerdog » Thu May 03, 2007 7:58 am

Thats awesome critter, congrats to the old man

Brian

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu May 03, 2007 9:42 am

Great pictures! Looks like you all had a great time. Congrats!

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 am

Great pics, congrats to the old man...... :D :D

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu May 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Great pics!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu May 03, 2007 3:22 pm

Great pictures and good story!! Congrats to your father on his turkey.

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

pear

Post by pear » Thu May 03, 2007 3:46 pm

GOOD JOB !!!
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

hoffmann35

Post by hoffmann35 » Thu May 03, 2007 4:51 pm

Like usual, you paint a vivid picture. Congrats on a good hunt!!

Danro

Post by Danro » Fri May 04, 2007 5:50 pm

I'm jealous. The week before the season started, I went out and the birds were gobblin' at me and yelping and making a big fuss. Season starts and its like there never were any turkeys. I've seen them too many times though to give up.

Glad to see a 20 gauge being used on turkey. I thought I was beginning to go crazy with everyone else using 12s. A 20 will get done anything a 12 can do is what I keep tellin' them but they never listen. :D
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri May 04, 2007 8:20 pm

It's always good to hear of a successful hunt - good job. Now I wish some more people would come help me get rid of the 20-30 turkeys destroying my pasture. Twice a day they go through eating a scratching up the tender grass. Last year I shot 6 between the 2 seasons. The more I shoot, the faster they breed! Here is a picture from last Fall.

Nitrex

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sun May 06, 2007 7:45 am

VERY nice!

tfbirddog2

Turkey hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon May 07, 2007 6:06 am

Congrats, Critter nice merriam,I tagged out opening sunday with a double one bird was 9 1/2" beard,7/8" spurs & 17lbs., and the second bird was 9" beard,1" spurs and 20lbs. Taken north of Smith Center,Ks.Nitrex were have have you been taking your birds near(not asking for your sweet spot) just a local.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon May 07, 2007 3:36 pm

I have several acres just East of Hutchinson, KS. During this time of year in is not uncommon to see 30-40 Turkeys along the side of the road in just a short drive down a country road. Three (3) months ago I counted over 300 (three hundred) trukeys in my neighbors pasture. CRAZY!!!!! In all honesty, there are too many around here. We need to grow up a larger generation of hunters to hunt them. My favorite and most successful hunting spot is my back porch and deck! Actually, most of the time I go to the treeline and call them in to the decoys.

Nitrex

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:46 pm

I remember the Christmas they released the turkeys along the Arkansas River just west of Hutchinson. They were saying they hoped they would take hold but they had to have a lot of room away from people or they wouldn't make it. Also it was cold and snowy so they explained they would be able to handle the cold if people would just leave them alone. I quess they have changed a lot because we have them here in town now.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon May 07, 2007 7:46 pm

I heard a few weeks ago that they trapped several hundrend in our area this past winter and moved them to western Kansas. I guess the numbers were getting to high for the area. It wouldn't bother me if they would move more out of here!

Nitrex

tfbirddog2

Turkeys

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue May 08, 2007 6:09 am

I heard the same thing.Your right about the young hunters. but since the state moved the saftey course age back it is really going to happer up and comers to the tradition of hunting.But dont worry on my end I took my 5 year old daughter on saturday, and by 20 month old daughter knows how to run the slate already.Heck two weekends ago in Cabelas there were guys staring at her cause she was running the slate like a pro.Well I envy your turkey spot, any time you need company just call Nitrex
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:21 am

Caleb as aways awsome pics and storyboard thanks so much for sharing.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152