slide pump vs over/under

WiskeyJaR

slide pump vs over/under

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:58 pm

was curiuos, if eveything else being equal, what would you prefer, an o/u or a pump? This being for hunting mainly uppland fur & feathers.

((thinks the board needs spell check for folks like me 8) ))

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:12 pm

I choose double barrel. I do not shoot an o/u but I do use an old side by side. I like giving the bird a little more chance and figure if I can't hit a bird in 2 shots then I don't deserve the bird.

I also like the smooth swing of a the double. No need to add in one more action into a fast flying bird.
Cam

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:58 pm

I use an O/U, cause i forget to pump the the pump shotgun :oops:

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 pm

is there a big difference in the shot patterns between the SxS's and the O/U's? Never shot a double barrel on a consant basis.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:29 am

No difference in pattern between single, double O/U or double SxS.

It's all in what you prefer.

Best, Greg J.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 am

I like my O/U I have a browning which I did well with just got a new CZ Woodcock Deluxe..which I really like so far

turkey season I prefer a pump..with the heavier round the pumps don't seem to notice the kick as bad...but then again having a big old tom bird come in front of you even if a mule kicked you ..you probably wouldn't notice...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

The Zephyr

slide pump vs over/under

Post by The Zephyr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 am

I prefer an O/U or S/S over the pump for upland hunting. Not only do you have the option of changing barrel selection for choke constriction (if you have the time), you don't have to police your brass the way you do with a pump or semi. I'll reserve my litter gun for the duck blind. That way I don't have to look far for my empties.
Regarding the "fur" in fur & feathers, I've only shot bunnies with a single barrel. A "stovepipe" as some of the old-timers here call them. I couldn't imagine unloading 3 or 4 rounds at a running rabbit.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 pm

I use to use a pump, have used an over and under often and currently use a semi-auto.
I would rather have an o/u over a pump to be able to police empties better and I really like that you can carry an o/u with the action broke open.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Litter gun - I like that. I must have picked up 20 hulls today while out in the field. Why is it that some people don't think of shotgun shells as litter?

Anyway, my vote is also for an O/U, or SxS. If for no other reason, I think they are safer, as it is so much easier to clear the gun when crossing a rock wall, fence, or other obstacle, and also easier to visually check the barrels for obstructions.

kygrousehunter

Post by kygrousehunter » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:13 pm

I like the o/u better for reasons already mentioned. In addition, I,ve gotten used to carrying with action open over the shoulder.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:12 pm

O/U

1) I don't leave me empty shells and don't like to hunt for them. As I crack my o/u I have figured how to pop them right into my hand.

2) I like carrying the gun sometimes on my shoulder, broken open. It even balances there when you need your hand to fish something from your pockets.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:07 pm

WiskeyJaR wrote:is there a big difference in the shot patterns between the SxS's and the O/U's? Never shot a double barrel on a consant basis.
Not if you get a gun with screw in chokes. Then it can be whatever you want it to be. This is another area where a O/U has an advantage - multiple chokes.

For example, I usually use skeet and IC chokes, and my first shot is always the more open choke. For shots that are going to be typically farther out, I can screw in IC and Mod chokes.

An O/U also lends itself to the use of different loads more easily. There are times I'll load a #6 shell in the first, more open choked barrel, and #5's in the second tighter choked barrel. The second shot (if there is a need for one) will have the benefit of a tighter choke, and heavier pellets for more energy retention at longer ranges.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 am

I have both and shoot much better with the O/U. The only thing I like about my pump better than my O/U is the weight. My pump is much lighter.

chukarguy

Post by chukarguy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:46 am

Get both of them! :D
You live by the river, you die by the river

lovemylabs

Post by lovemylabs » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm

I like my Browning auto 5 light twenty but like some here have said it is a pain to look for and pick up all the empties it really stinks when the hot action cools down and your looking for a box of empties.

airmedic1

Post by airmedic1 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:58 pm

I like a O/U or a S/S but have been carrying a Benelli Ultralight and/or a Montefeltro. It seems that as I get older I don't shoot as well and I hate nothing more that to wound any bird and then not find it.
Several times earlier this year I hit birds with both shots from my Rizzini and it still flew away. I use premium shells so that's not the problem. I swithched back to the Montefeltro and the next two birds that I shot I had to use three shots but I did finally kill them with the third shot.
I think it is sporting to use two shots but when I miss with the first, hit the bird hard with the second and then am done shooting as it flies away wounded it makes me sick. I hunt over dogs and always try to watch where they land and then go over to try to find them but I'm not always sucessful.
I hate looking for the empties as well, lately I've been hunting in tall grass so I have to mark the birds closely to see where they fall. I've been dropping my hat, going to find the bird and then coming back to look for the empties.
I guess that it just ends up being personal preference, but I HATE to lose a wounded bird.

Rog
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

DKA

Post by DKA » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 pm

I like the pump for couple reasons, have shot one for forty years, like that extra shots, especially on covey rise and it is lighter.
Turn Adversity Into Advantage

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:25 pm

Just wondering JR, do you mean shot pattern of how you sight with them?
If it's sight, they really are both the same. Look over the barrels down the center of the gun. Where the problem comes in with some people is that they are so used to looking over one barrel, they try to do that on a SxS, it don't work. The sighting rib goes right down the middle of the barrels, thats where you look.

BTW, for spell check my computer has it up above for everything I do, Mine says ABC Check. Took me three years to figure it out and thought I'd share that priceless piece of info! :D
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!