Nebraska Hunting Report...

jhoughton

Nebraska Hunting Report...

Post by jhoughton » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:43 pm

We got out to Nebraska late Friday afternoon...got rained out with freezing rain Saturday and Froze today. My setter did find a covey of quail and we flushed a few hens, but not much action.

The weather is looking better for the next few days so we will see how it goes...

briguyz71

Post by briguyz71 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:56 pm

Keep me updated on how its going.
Later,
Bri

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:37 pm

Whereabouts you hunting in Nebr? I have had great luck this season on private land, iowa and nebr.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:10 pm

We have been hunting around Beatrice in the southeast corner. We had a little better day today. We probably flushed 10 hens and about 8 roosters and only had one in gun range. I did shoot a big jack rabbit over my GWP...

All the dogs are pretty torn up right now. We hunted some real thick cover and I think we only have 2 of 7 dogs that are in good shape right now. Two more days to go...

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:08 pm

South East by Beatrice..thats where im at. If I was not so busy with work for the next couple of days id come look you up. I have seen many birds since season started, they love the think CRP grass early in the morning. Good Luck.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:59 am

NE Vizsla wrote:South East by Beatrice..thats where im at. If I was not so busy with work for the next couple of days id come look you up. I have seen many birds since season started, they love the think CRP grass early in the morning. Good Luck.
If you can free up, let me know...we will be here through Wednesday hunting. We have been hunting the thick grass in the morning. With only three people and no blockers, the birds are just pushing out the back end of the field and flying way out of gun range.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:38 am

Man I wish I could run down, cant get out till thursday tho. Going to snow they say.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:21 pm

We finally got into some birds today!!! and saw more flushes than we have the rest of the week. I have never seen so many rabbits before. Almost every single field we are flushing a couple. The dogs are pretty roughed up right now and we only have two left in good shape out of the seven. Looks like they will have to pull double duty tomorrow...

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 pm

jhoughton wrote:
NE Vizsla wrote:South East by Beatrice..thats where im at. If I was not so busy with work for the next couple of days id come look you up. I have seen many birds since season started, they love the think CRP grass early in the morning. Good Luck.
If you can free up, let me know...we will be here through Wednesday hunting. We have been hunting the thick grass in the morning. With only three people and no blockers, the birds are just pushing out the back end of the field and flying way out of gun range.
Sorry i wont be able to make it out till Friday as im busy with work. Glad to hear you are seeing some birds however. It is suppose to get cold tomorrow so you should have some good luck. Shoot all the bunnies you can.

Brooks Carmichael

hunting near Beatrice

Post by Brooks Carmichael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:16 am

I live east of Beatrice. I have seen a fair number of birds. I believe overall numbers are down. I took out a couple of friends out yesterday near my place and we moved a number of pheasants. They were not holding well. They only got one rooster but had several shots. Got them into some quail and they are still flying. There were enough birds for us limit out but were running and flushing 100 plus yards in front of the dogs, it did not make for great harvest. We had a great time. I did not see the numbers of prairie chickens that I normally do. Maybe this snow will help.

Good luck all

huskerhunter

Post by huskerhunter » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25 am

Depending on the weather I am going to go out with my dog around the Beatrice area tomorrow morning. I was just wondering if you guys thought that I should buy some boots for my dog and use them. Didn't know if all of this ice and crunchy snow would be hard on his feet or not. Also, since we are supposed to get some more snow tonight I didn't know if the fresh snow would help.

Thanks

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 pm

huskerhunter wrote:Depending on the weather I am going to go out with my dog around the Beatrice area tomorrow morning. I was just wondering if you guys thought that I should buy some boots for my dog and use them. Didn't know if all of this ice and crunchy snow would be hard on his feet or not. Also, since we are supposed to get some more snow tonight I didn't know if the fresh snow would help.

Thanks
A little late on the reply but how did you do ? I didnt get out today but they local coyote hunters were out..they had five by noon. Did you get any birds ?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:04 am

NE Vizsla, just out of curiosity, can you tell me what they do with the meat off the coyotes? I've always wondered if they eat it? I'd feel awful odd eating a dog! :D

Rowdy

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:53 am

StoneFace wrote:NE Vizsla, just out of curiosity, can you tell me what they do with the meat off the coyotes? I've always wondered if they eat it? I'd feel awful odd eating a dog! :D

Rowdy
They dont eat them...they take the dogs to the local fur buyer at the end of the day. We got mange real bad around here these last couple of years so most of the dogs are not worth anything anyways. I was out hunting them two weekends ago and out of the six we got one was a good dog.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:35 am

I'd feel awful odd eating a dog!
Stewed up with veggies.

We shoot yotes too. Hunt em in spring or fall. HAvent had mange tho so coats are OK.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Remember you don't eat animals, you just eat meat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jwenorthpark

question from someone new to nebraska

Post by jwenorthpark » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:54 pm

hello folks --

my lady friend and i will be through nebraska twice in the next three weeks and were wondering if any of you kind folks could give someone that's completely new to NE hunting a suggestion or two on where to look for some pheasants? we're going through on 80 but could stop off and drive to pretty much anywhere, will have at least one dog and the ability to winter camp.

i gather from the board and from the NE website that the CRP lands are a good choice, but looking on the maps they seem to be pretty far apart (so you could easily waste a full day on a spot that everyone knows is no good and be none the wiser).

also of course always interesting in a hunting buddy or two.

many thanks!

j

huskerhunter

Post by huskerhunter » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:12 pm

Hunted in the snow on saturday morning. There were four of us and we got 4 roosters so it wasn't too bad. Some of the birds were still not holding very good even with the snow and cold weather. Just getting to educated by now I guess.

Gundogs/Nebraska

Post by Gundogs/Nebraska » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 pm

It all depends on what part of Nebraska your going to be hunting.. I live in Central Nebraska and we have a large number of birds southwest of North Platte...

They are getting a little wild, but yet good numbers are being taken.

jwenorthpark

thanks!

Post by jwenorthpark » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Thanks for the reply --

We're pretty much going to cross the entire state on the highway (we're going from Wisconsin to New Mexico via Colorado), so outside of the far northwestern part of the state it'd be pretty tough to go really far out of our way).

All the best,

J