Best O/U 12 ga around $1,000 ?

Stiff Arm

Best O/U 12 ga around $1,000 ?

Post by Stiff Arm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 am

So I'm looking for a new (or slightly used) 12 Ga O/U in the $1,000 - $1,200 range and would be interested to hear your opinions and experience. I'll use it mostly for pheasant hunting, but also grouse and turkey once in a while. Any models that stand out good or bad?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Best O/U 12 ga around $1,000 ?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:23 am

I'll let someone else help you with this one as I have never found much functional differences in shotguns, just a lot of cosmetic differences that tend to influence the value a lot more.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 am

Used, you might be able to find a Beretta White/Black Onyx (686) for around that price, Rizzini Ominium, SKB 500 series, Ruger Red Label or Citori. There are a ton of Rugers out there and they don't hold there value so they might be an excellent buy, same for the SKB. There might be new Rugers out there for a bit more than $1,000.

The Italian guns will run more, Citori somewhere in the middle.

CZ Redhead, Canvasback new are well below $1,000. I have a Redhead that I paid $800 new and it was a good buy. The Canvasback is even less.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:52 am

I got my Beretta Whitewing for $800 off of Gunbroker about 5 years ago. Nice-looking gun that I've been very happy with.
They might be hard to find now, though. I do a search every once in a while and don't see them very often.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Seriously, the best one is the one that FITS YOU and has the features/looks you like.

Don't get caught up in the hype of brand names unless you're thinking you'll be selling the gun again in a couple years. Go try em out and find what fits you the best. I tried a ton of guns, and wanted a Beretta in the worst way, but the dang things just didn't fit me for some reason. I fell in love with the Franchi Alcione (now called Renaissance?) and ended up finding a used one in mint shape for $500 and couldn't be happier. I picked up a 20ga Citori for my wife for under $1K as well - sweet little gun, but feels like a toy in my hands. :lol:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm

With 243,000 miles, without any major repairs, on my Toyota 4Runner, I'm a huge 4Runner fan.

With over 30,000 shells through my Beretta 682, replacing only the hammer springs, I'm a huge fan. Now, not everyone is going to benefit from that kind of durability and other factors apply. Just want to throw out there that the Berettas built on the venerable 680 design are the Toyota 4Runners of the O/U world.

FWIW, Greg J.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Used Beretta, Citori or Miroku.

Not many guns will not go bang tho....those three will stand use and abuse to a large degree based upon proven track records.

The Beretta will be easier to clean as the nooks and crannies are less, it will also be very easy to put right again should anything go wrong.
Also, should one decide, double triggers can be put in the Beretta by Cole....a nice tho mostly unecessary option.

It is however quite true that somne scattergun stocks fit better than others...mostly in the comb shape and height area.
Berettas work well for me but one true skeet gun slammed my face like a 2X4 hit....never did figure out why.
Shooting one for an honest trial period is always best.

usmc4295

Post by usmc4295 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I had a browning GTi years ago absolutely loved that gun think I paid around $800 for it but lot of my buddies are raving about their $500 yildiz's from academy sports might wanna look into it,my understanding they range from .410-12ga have only spent a day using one had no complaints except I would recommend getting a recoil pad,my buddies kicked like an old new england single shot lol

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm

mcbosco wrote:Used, you might be able to find a Beretta White/Black Onyx (686) for around that price, Rizzini Ominium, SKB 500 series, Ruger Red Label or Citori. There are a ton of Rugers out there and they don't hold there value so they might be an excellent buy, same for the SKB. There might be new Rugers out there for a bit more than $1,000.

CZ Redhead, Canvasback new are well below $1,000. I have a Redhead that I paid $800 new and it was a good buy. The Canvasback is even less.

Why dont you think the Rugers hold value?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 pm

I have 2 Yildiz. 1 in 12 gauge and 1 in 20 gauge. I have had the 12 for about 3 seasons and the 20 for about 2 seasons and have never had them fail on me. The 20 is still so tight even after 2 seasons that my wife shot it the other day on some skeet and asked me what was wrong with it. Why is it still so difficult to open? Really nice tight action fit, light to carry, nice wood, good finish on the metal. I really like mine and I am hard on them. I live where I am fortunate enough to have access to large tracts of wild quail and wild pheasant land and I hunt at least 3 days a week and sometimes more from November throught the middle of February. This week unfortunately my SUV is in the shop so this is one of those rare weeks where I did not get to hunt but I will make up for it in the future. My wife and friends and I also do a lot of clay target shooting in the off season and my Yildiz have always performed flawlessly. They are a really good value for the money and even if you don't buy one at least go take a look at them. Make sure you look at each indivdual gun because they all come with Turkish walnut from the manufacturer and there is no cookie cutter pattern so the wood on each gun is different. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:With 243,000 miles, without any major repairs, on my Toyota 4Runner, I'm a huge 4Runner fan.

With over 30,000 shells through my Beretta 682, replacing only the hammer springs, I'm a huge fan. Now, not everyone is going to benefit from that kind of durability and other factors apply. Just want to throw out there that the Berettas built on the venerable 680 design are the Toyota 4Runners of the O/U world.

FWIW, Greg J.
Greg you know better than to judge the overall quality on just one example but your point is well taken. But there are so many things to think about and weigh as to what any individual wants and needs I think it is impossible to say which one is best. I tend to come down in the camp of find one that feels good and fits if you are looking for a gun to take to the field over the rest of your years. If you are looking for something to resell then a whole different set of credentials come in to play.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

northern cajun wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Used, you might be able to find a Beretta White/Black Onyx (686) for around that price, Rizzini Ominium, SKB 500 series, Ruger Red Label or Citori. There are a ton of Rugers out there and they don't hold there value so they might be an excellent buy, same for the SKB. There might be new Rugers out there for a bit more than $1,000.

Why dont you think the Rugers hold value?
No clue as to why, perhaps its a quality issue but I am not aware of anything horrible, perhaps the auto safety but that can be removed, perhaps the way they just flop open or perhaps just a lack of awareness. It is kind of an odd duck in the Ruger line.

I think they are handsome guns with the SS receiver. Gunbroker has at least 50 lightly used Red Labels on at prices 50 cents or less on the dollar. New ones are discounted quite a bit from retail price.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 am

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =211386528

I would bid this guy $500 for this new SKB 505.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:16 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I have 2 Yildiz. 1 in 12 gauge and 1 in 20 gauge. I have had the 12 for about 3 seasons and the 20 for about 2 seasons and have never had them fail on me. The 20 is still so tight even after 2 seasons that my wife shot it the other day on some skeet and asked me what was wrong with it. Why is it still so difficult to open? Really nice tight action fit, light to carry, nice wood, good finish on the metal. I really like mine and I am hard on them. I live where I am fortunate enough to have access to large tracts of wild quail and wild pheasant land and I hunt at least 3 days a week and sometimes more from November throught the middle of February. This week unfortunately my SUV is in the shop so this is one of those rare weeks where I did not get to hunt but I will make up for it in the future. My wife and friends and I also do a lot of clay target shooting in the off season and my Yildiz have always performed flawlessly. They are a really good value for the money and even if you don't buy one at least go take a look at them. Make sure you look at each indivdual gun because they all come with Turkish walnut from the manufacturer and there is no cookie cutter pattern so the wood on each gun is different. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

I agree on the Yildiz, I own a 12 ga model and love it! As a matter of fact, I like it so much thay my other guns never make it out of the case any more and I'm going to buy one for my son.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:21 am

jayhawkj wrote:
tommyboy72 wrote:I have 2 Yildiz. 1 in 12 gauge and 1 in 20 gauge. I have had the 12 for about 3 seasons and the 20 for about 2 seasons and have never had them fail on me. The 20 is still so tight even after 2 seasons that my wife shot it the other day on some skeet and asked me what was wrong with it. Why is it still so difficult to open? Really nice tight action fit, light to carry, nice wood, good finish on the metal. I really like mine and I am hard on them. I live where I am fortunate enough to have access to large tracts of wild quail and wild pheasant land and I hunt at least 3 days a week and sometimes more from November throught the middle of February. This week unfortunately my SUV is in the shop so this is one of those rare weeks where I did not get to hunt but I will make up for it in the future. My wife and friends and I also do a lot of clay target shooting in the off season and my Yildiz have always performed flawlessly. They are a really good value for the money and even if you don't buy one at least go take a look at them. Make sure you look at each indivdual gun because they all come with Turkish walnut from the manufacturer and there is no cookie cutter pattern so the wood on each gun is different. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

I agree on the Yildiz, I own a 12 ga model and love it! As a matter of fact, I like it so much thay my other guns never make it out of the case any more and I'm going to buy one for my son.

It is too bad Academy doesn't ship.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:12 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:With 243,000 miles, without any major repairs, on my Toyota 4Runner, I'm a huge 4Runner fan.

FWIW, Greg J.
Greg you know better than to judge the overall quality on just one example but your point is well taken. But there are so many things to think about and weigh as to what any individual wants and needs I think it is impossible to say which one is best. I tend to come down in the camp of find one that feels good and fits if you are looking for a gun to take to the field over the rest of your years. If you are looking for something to resell then a whole different set of credentials come in to play.

Ezzy
Look at Consumer Reports on 4Runners some time. Then look up the resale value. They are expensive for a reason. If I could afford another one for my daughter that just turned 16, she'd have one.

Likewise, I've been around skeet and trap shooting all my life. So, I've been around 100's of all the popular O/Us for several decades. In all that time, I've seen flakey Krieghoffs, Perazzis prone to breaking springs and other trigger issues, Remington 3200s that cracked stocks (I had one myself) in the wrist, Brownings that rusted between events (I had one myself) and others. But, I have *never* seen a 680-based Beretta with issues.

Like the 4Runner, the Toyota R family of engines, the venerable Cummins inline diesel, and the Porshe boxter engine, the Beretta 680 series is just one of those designs that hit a sweet spot.

I'm certainly not saying that it's the best. I am saying that it's very good and that if someone can find one that fits them and is affordable, it'll be one that will be shooting great when his grand kids inherit it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Out of pocket cash is always a consideration, but we are not talking thousands here, rather a few hundred. If you look at the Black Onyx which preceded the White Onyx, they are pretty much going for what they cost when they were discontinued in 2002.

Seems like a pretty sound purchase.

gonhntn

Post by gonhntn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 pm

I still have a really nice gun for less than a thousand.

Anyone interested in a Browning Citori 12 guage over and under in excellent condition? I have had this gun in my safe for a long time. I am looking to trade this gun for a side by side in a smaller guage. 20 or 28 guage. I do a lot of upland hunting and would prefer a light, not so blocky of a gun. I live in New Mexico.

Thanks,
Gonhntn