Concealed carry

dog dr

Concealed carry

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 am

What do you carry? Any recommendations?

partyofone

Concealed carry

Post by partyofone » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:04 am

Right now, a .38 Colt revolver. Buying a Glock .380 this fall.

dog dr

Re: Concealed carry

Post by dog dr » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:17 am

gonna be my next purchase I think. need something to take the class with.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 am

9mm at minimum for self protection.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 am

Lightweight Colt Commander 45 ACP, Kramer inside the waistband holster.

migratesouth

Post by migratesouth » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:13 am

I switch between a glock 23 .40 in cooler months and a S&W Shield 9mm in warmer months when wearing shorts. I use a crossbreed supertuck IWB holster.
Ripsnorter's Indiana Jones :: http://imgur.com/a/fzQAO

MGIII

Concealed carry

Post by MGIII » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 pm

For concealed ruger .380 acp

dogman23

Post by dogman23 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Ruger .380 acp, love it!!!!

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:26 am

I have carried the Ruger LC9, Ruger LCR (revolver) in .357 and the springfield XD-s in .45. My favorite is the XD-s and the .357. Both carry well inside the pants and have the knock down power. The XD-s ONLY kicks a little harder than my LC9 (9mm) which I wasnt expecting, and was very accurate for a 3.3 in barrel. If your familiar/comfortable with autos, I would say the Ruger LC9s, smith and wesson shield or the XD-s are good choices. if your not comfortable with autos, I would go with a revolver. The Ruger LCR is a nice choice and I sell a lot of them but there is also a few choices with smith and wesson. Make sure you get a hammerless revolver, less to get snagged when you are trying to draw it quickly. Hope this helps.

john

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:30 am

The Ruger LCP 380, keltec 380, smith and wesson bodyguard in 380 are also good pocket guns if you want something that small. The Rugers are one of my best sellers and I concur with the posts above, I get a lot of positive feedback from my customers. Stay away from the Taurus 380, I have seen many of them break within the first few shots, and even one that didnt fire right out of the box. Taurus, as a whole, has about 20% of their guns break. I have seen revolvers and autos get sent back and it is a 4 month turn around time to get them fixed.

MGIII

Concealed carry

Post by MGIII » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:32 am

jwnissen wrote:I have carried the Ruger LC9, Ruger LCR (revolver) in .357 and the springfield XD-s in .45. My favorite is the XD-s and the .357. Both carry well inside the pants and have the knock down power. The XD-s ONLY kicks a little harder than my LC9 (9mm) which I wasnt expecting, and was very accurate for a 3.3 in barrel. If your familiar/comfortable with autos, I would say the Ruger LC9s, smith and wesson shield or the XD-s are good choices. if your not comfortable with autos, I would go with a revolver. The Ruger LCR is a nice choice and I sell a lot of them but there is also a few choices with smith and wesson. Make sure you get a hammerless revolver, less to get snagged when you are trying to draw it quickly. Hope this helps.

john

I like the XDs as well. I have the XD-m 40. Shoots like a dream. Just prefer the ruger 380 acp for concealed carry.

Donnytpburge

Post by Donnytpburge » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:19 pm

45 on my hip.
Db

Pepper

Post by Pepper » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:36 pm

1911 45 Tactical night with laser from Rock Island Armory. :)

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Ruger LCR in .38 spcl (+P) with a laser, of course . . . :wink:

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:19 am

jwnissen wrote:The Ruger LCP 380, keltec 380, smith and wesson bodyguard in 380 are also good pocket guns if you want something that small. The Rugers are one of my best sellers and I concur with the posts above, I get a lot of positive feedback from my customers. Stay away from the Taurus 380, I have seen many of them break within the first few shots, and even one that didnt fire right out of the box. Taurus, as a whole, has about 20% of their guns break. I have seen revolvers and autos get sent back and it is a 4 month turn around time to get them fixed.
What about the newer Taurus guns? Have heard good things about the pt 111 in 9 mm. Was also looking at a glock 23, somebody said it wasn't very comfortable in the hand?
Last edited by dog dr on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:59 pm

It completely depends on what exactly you plan to do with it. How do you plan to carry it? Pocket, waistband, etc... There are many correct answers but depends on your intentions.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:29 am

kcbullets wrote:It completely depends on what exactly you plan to do with it. How do you plan to carry it? Pocket, waistband, etc... There are many correct answers but depends on your intentions.
Waistband most of the time. Probably pocket in warmer weather (cargo shorts).

K3Britt

Post by K3Britt » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:12 am

Last night I ordered the no-safety M&P Shield in 9mm.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:53 pm

In my work, which is dress, pants a Keltec P3AT, when not in dress clothes a Para Ordinance PDA (45acp double action), when hunting I carry a S&W 629 6" in 44Mag.
One thing I learned in the service is always bring enough gun.
I would prefer something larger than a 380 when in dress, but that is a s large as I can put in mu pocket without it really being obvious.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 pm

Pocket carry a s&w 438 (j frame body guard 5 shot .38 special) in a simply rugged pocket holster. Gun has a Crimson trace lg405 grip/laser sight. Totally disappears into my jeans. If I were to do it over, I'd get a 442 or 642 instead. I never use the single action functionality of the 438 and the recessed hammer likes to trap pocket lint.

Ammo is Speer 135gr short barrel. Reloads in a 5 shot speed strip in my change pocket. In winter I change to Buffalo Bore 150gr hard cast wadcutters. I figure the HP is probably not going to expand well after punching through winter clothing so I may as well embrace that and use the best non-expanding round.

The simply rugged pocket holster is new and I'm not sure what I think of it. It doesn't stick to the pocket as well as my old Desantis nemesis that I might go back to.

I have a s&w commander sized 1911 I sometimes do IWB, but the pocket carry revolver is a lot easier.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

dog dr wrote:
jwnissen wrote:The Ruger LCP 380, keltec 380, smith and wesson bodyguard in 380 are also good pocket guns if you want something that small. The Rugers are one of my best sellers and I concur with the posts above, I get a lot of positive feedback from my customers. Stay away from the Taurus 380, I have seen many of them break within the first few shots, and even one that didnt fire right out of the box. Taurus, as a whole, has about 20% of their guns break. I have seen revolvers and autos get sent back and it is a 4 month turn around time to get them fixed.
What about the newer Taurus guns? Have heard good things about the pt 111 in 9 mm. Was also looking at a glock 23, somebody said it wasn't very comfortable in the hand?
I work for one of the largest gun dealers on the west coast and we move hundreds of guns a month. As far as Taurus is concerned, I would never buy a new one. About 20% of the Taurus' sold break within the first couple boxes of ammo. They have a lifetime warranty, but it takes 4 months to get your gun back. I tell that to everyone looking at buying one. I have many Fed-ex and UPS drivers come in to look at guns and when I tell them that, they tell me they always wondered why they were always picking up boxes going back to Taurus. That being said, its mainly the TCP's (380) that is having the most issues but I have seen revolvers and auto both come back broken. If you buy one and are able to get a couple boxes of ammo through it and it doesn't break, then you have a good one. The older ones seem to be good guns.

As far as the Glock 23, conceal carry guns are just that, designed to carry and most arent comfortable in your hand. They are purpose built guns, designed to be small and hidden. Glocks are fat and have big handles. For that reason I dont like them. They are very good reliable guns, but I want to carry a thinner gun and my hands don't fit my hands well (too thick). I would go to a gun store with a lot of guns and put them in your hands and think about how you are going to carry it. There are many good guns out there and personal preferance plays a big part in your purchase. Which do you prefer Ford, Dodge or Chevy??? Its the same question for guns. I like the XD's in 445 and the LCR in 357 the best for me. I recently compared my Ruger LC9 and XDs in 45 and the kick was just about the same. I like carrying a gun with the bigger bullets for knock down power. Some people like more bullets. If I need more than 6, then Im in the wrong place at the wrong time and taking a defensive position. I also dont like safeties on carry guns because if you panic and forget to take it off, then its game over. Talk to the guys who sell guns and ask their opinions and put them in your hands. Hopefully some of this helps.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:23 pm

jwnissen wrote:
dog dr wrote:
I work for one of the largest gun dealers on the west coast and we move hundreds of guns a month. As far as Taurus is concerned, I would never buy a new one. About 20% of the Taurus' sold break within the first couple boxes of ammo. They have a lifetime warranty, but it takes 4 months to get your gun back. I tell that to everyone looking at buying one. I have many Fed-ex and UPS drivers come in to look at guns and when I tell them that, they tell me they always wondered why they were always picking up boxes going back to Taurus. That being said, its mainly the TCP's (380) that is having the most issues but I have seen revolvers and auto both come back broken. If you buy one and are able to get a couple boxes of ammo through it and it doesn't break, then you have a good one. The older ones seem to be good guns.

As far as the Glock 23, conceal carry guns are just that, designed to carry and most arent comfortable in your hand. They are purpose built guns, designed to be small and hidden. Glocks are fat and have big handles. For that reason I dont like them. They are very good reliable guns, but I want to carry a thinner gun and my hands don't fit my hands well (too thick). I would go to a gun store with a lot of guns and put them in your hands and think about how you are going to carry it. There are many good guns out there and personal preferance plays a big part in your purchase. Which do you prefer Ford, Dodge or Chevy??? Its the same question for guns. I like the XD's in 445 and the LCR in 357 the best for me. I recently compared my Ruger LC9 and XDs in 45 and the kick was just about the same. I like carrying a gun with the bigger bullets for knock down power. Some people like more bullets. If I need more than 6, then Im in the wrong place at the wrong time and taking a defensive position. I also dont like safeties on carry guns because if you panic and forget to take it off, then its game over. Talk to the guys who sell guns and ask their opinions and put them in your hands. Hopefully some of this helps.

Definitely helps. Thank you!!

Bad River

Post by Bad River » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:06 pm

glock 40

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Bad River wrote:glock 40
So your answer is a .40 caliber glock.

What model? There are 4 different models (not counting generations) of .40 caliber glocks.

How would you recommend carrying it?

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I highly recommend going somewhere that you can handle various types and see what feels right in your hand. All the main brands are good. Smith, Ruger, Sig, etc... I personally don't consider Taurus a quality gun. I recently purchased a S&W Shield (9MM), and also a Kahr (9MM). I like both for a carry gun. Personally I would go with a 9mm or 45. 9mm ammo generally is more abundant and cheaper. Smaller the frame, the less comfortable to shoot to practice, but easier to carry. Larger the frame, more enjoyable to shoot, but bulky. Smaller frame is less forgiving too. Smaller frame are made for up close and personal. What feels best in your hand is what you should buy... stick with main brand.

Pheasanttracker

Concealed carry

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 am

A XD-40. Easy to shoot and comfortable to carry. Also carry a keltec 32 but no real stopping power even with handloads

cflinchum

Post by cflinchum » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:56 am

I carry anything from a full 5" 1911 to a lady smith 2"belly gun

90% of it is a good solid gun belt and a good holster that's actually made for the gun

I'd say 75% of the time when I leave the house I carry my m&p

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:06 am

I can say that the hot carry firearm coming through my shop right now is the Smith & Wesson Shield. I bet I sell 10 a month. They are a really good compromise between a full frame and a small frame carry gun. They are well built and are slim so they don't print alot.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:51 am

I carry a Glock 22 (full frame .40) Bought it for $200 bucks used, and still think its the best $200 i have ever spent. I am a wide guy so it is fairly easy to conceal, even during the summertime. My fiance however is about as petite as you can imagine, and the only way she could conceal it is if the person looking for it was blind. My buddy has the 23 which is the compact version of the .40, and it is almost silly how easy it is to hide that gun.

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Springfield XDs 9mm
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven

Tailsup

Post by Tailsup » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:05 pm

:) Taurus sub compact .40 cal with 15 rounds ready and waiting! :wink:
It does not really matter what one chooses to carry as long as he or she is very proficient with it!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:47 pm

My beautiful wife gave me a m&p shield 9mm for Christmas. So far I love it!