Beginners quail sxs for around $1k

jcpass

Beginners quail sxs for around $1k

Post by jcpass » Thu May 24, 2007 8:17 pm

Hello all:

Never shot any shotgun besides my Remington 1100.
Wanting to start quail hunting this season but I really dont know what gun,gauge,etc..
Gun will be only used for quail. Want a side by side and fairly lightweight.
Never shot an English stock.
Any ideas for 1k or so?

Jon

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Fri May 25, 2007 4:58 am

I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers on shotguns that are new...but, if I had my choice, I'd try to find a used Browning BSS in a 20 gauge. I had one years ago, but sold it for an O/U.

Been kicking myself ever since.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 25, 2007 5:32 am

The best deal in the free world is on the CZ brand. They make english and regular stock with double triggers for under $1000.00. I have a 20 and love it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 am

Everything I've been hearing about the CZ, gonehuntin is right. Thing to remember is that there are really a lot of SxS shotguns out there that are under 1k that are very good shotguns. At some point the improvement's and handling qualities do not improve at the same rate as the cost. From everything I hear, were I to go look for a new SxS today, I'd look no farther than CZ.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Highbrass

Post by Highbrass » Mon May 28, 2007 8:49 am

I agree that CZ offers a fine gun for the money. I have only heard of one person having a problem with his sxs. His had some milling debris in the trigger group.

De Haan also has nice Turkish made shot guns for under 1K. Their engraving is nicer and their service is top notch.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed May 30, 2007 10:32 am

ccavacini - You'd be surprized at the cost of a used Browning BSS in the 20ga. Cabela's in East Grand Forks has one for 1799.00. Brand new they were 300. Tristar has a nice gun, CZ also are under that $1000 mark. I just bought a 28 Ga SXS Tristar with and English stock for under $700. I haven't shot it yet but it appears to be well balanced and put together well.

kiddcline

Stevens

Post by kiddcline » Wed May 30, 2007 3:48 pm

I came across a Stevens 311 12 gauge at a gunshow when I was in highschool for 350. I was able to talk him down to 300 and walked a new 1920's sxs. I liked the classy look but I didn't even know if it worked.

I lucked out. It has become the only gun I use for anything. skeet, pheasants, rabbits, grouse.... etc.

You can find some great deals on www.gunbroker.com in 12,20, and 410. It will save you a bunch of money. Be sure to ask questions from the seller and be make sure that the stock is wood. Some of the newer models have a synthetic stock that is poorly built.

Good luck.
Cam

kiddcline

Post by kiddcline » Thu May 31, 2007 2:47 pm

This looks like a great deal on a CZ 12 guage.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72707346
Cam

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Thu May 31, 2007 3:30 pm

The CZ Ringneck in 28 ga. looks like a dandy little gun.

jcpass

Post by jcpass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:44 am

I wish I had seen it earlier..Its seems almost too cheap....
kiddcline wrote:This looks like a great deal on a CZ 12 guage.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=72707346

jcpass

Post by jcpass » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Oldfarmer wrote:The CZ Ringneck in 28 ga. looks like a dandy little gun.
I have decided to go with a CZ. I was going to buy a 20 guage as that is what I have always used for quail and dove but am considering a 28.

Is the 28 enough to dove hunt with as well?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:52 pm

The 28 makes an excellent dove gun. It is range-limited when compared to the larger 20 or 12's though. When pass shooting doves, you do not always get to choose the range.

I have two friends who hunt with me. All of us have competed extensively in sporting clays, and all of us were AA's before the M class was born. One of the guys decided the 28 would be just the ticket for the little doves, but then discovered that he was limited to shots of about 30-35 yards with it. Beyond that, he just did not have enough pattern to bring the little critters down.

I have a 28 with fixed Mod and Full chokes, it will reach out a little further but not much.

Your choice.

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:57 am

You can always use 1 oz. loads in the 28 if you need to. Of course you can use 3 inch loads in a 20 ga. if you feel the need. Personally I'll take a 28 over a 20 for any upland hunting, but then I do some reloading too that helps.

Flyingm

Post by Flyingm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:16 pm

28 Ga. ammo is pricey and can be hard to find. You are limited to small shot, like #7 1/2, #8 and #9 lead with the 28. You also are limited in choke selection as well. Most of the 28 Ga. SxS have fixed I/C-Mod chokes only.

20 Ga. ammo, on the other hand is found everywhere in lots of combinations from #9 lead to #2 steel, buckshot, slugs, etc . As far as choke selection, there is every combination out there for the 20 Ga.

If you are a die hard reloader then and only then I would I consider going with the 28 Ga. Otherwise, the 20 Ga. is the most prudent way to go.
Proud to be a Rakkasan!

AA Plantation

Post by AA Plantation » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:15 pm

CZ Guns are Great for a new gun and i would consider them better than most guns that are priced allot higher.
The new L.C. SMith by Marlin is a joke. It is an expensive piece of junk.
One of things that we consider tradition is quail hunting with a SxS
although most of us grew up shooting an A-5 or 1100

If you consider getting a SxS also consider why you want one and if you don't like it or can't shoot it good. What will you do with it?

You can buy a good functional old double for around or under $1000
That if you don't like you will always be able to get your money back out of it. Or keep it and it will go up in value.

Field Grade Guns are still affordable in large gauges
L.C. Smith 12ga 600-1200
16ga. 900-1800
A.H. Fox 12ga 600-1200
16ga 800-2000
Parker V Grade
800 and up

bobeyerite

Post by bobeyerite » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:21 pm

I shoot a SxS that is a Charles Daly. It is Spanish made and they don't make them anymore. But it has been a great little 28 gauge, that has screw in chokes. It has 28 inch barrels and I have shot, Quail, Hungarians, Chukers and Pheasant with it. I love it for an upland gun. So I would recommend a 28 gauge for upland anytime. I might add on windy days I will go to my 20 gauge for pheasant.

Bob

dudley

Post by dudley » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 am

28 gage is fine for most birds my dad used some of his home made loads for feasant and once even duck I was amazed. You should try looking at some used sxs you can often get good deal on nice guns

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Search the gun sites for a Sears Roebuck made in Spain by Laurona.

I have one and it has to be the lightest 20ga sxs I've ever picked up. It's great if you're walking alot. Kicks though on the heavier loads. But if you're a huntin' you don't feel ithe kick at all.

CZ is nice too, but go with Dehaan if you get the Turkish gun.

Older 311s are workhorses. I have one in .410 and love it. Or even a 5100 if you can find one of those. Great beater guns for field use.

Equismith

Post by Equismith » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:30 pm