Conceal & Carry Handguns

IANative

Post by IANative » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm

I carried everyday for 6 years when I lived in Texas. (Yes, living in Illinois sucks if you love your 2nd Amendment.) I had several weapons to choose from, but my Glock 26 saw 99% of my concealed carry duty. Extremely accurate for a small gun, soft recoil, 10 rounds of 9mm, very easy to conceal. I loaded it w/ 135 gr. HydraShoks, but you can get factory loads in anything from 115 to 147 grains, including +P and +P+ loads. My second mag was a Glock 19 mag, which held 15 rounds. I carried IWB, OWB, and in a Galco Ankle Glove, and was never "made" once.

I've owned handguns in virtually every caliber from .22 to 10mm, and shot several .44 caliber wheel guns. I would not consider anything less than a 9mm for a primary carry weapon. (.38 if you prefer a wheelgun.) As for .22's killing more peeps than any other round, keep in mind that military rifles chambered in .223/5.56 fire what are considered .22 caliber bullets, so that stat is at least slightly skewed.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 am

Heckler & Koch (HK) USP in .40 S&W. Probably more gun then the average guy needs, but indestructable.

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:24 am

Chaingang wrote:Heckler & Koch (HK) USP in .40 S&W. Probably more gun then the average guy needs, but indestructable.
Looks a little large for me to carry personally. I've got an XD .40 S&W, but its not something I would carry on a daily basis...too bulky. I'm looking at the Kel-Tec 3AT now, extremely concealable. I want something that is small enough that I will actually carry routinely.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:58 am

They make a compact version: http://hkpro.com/uspc.htm

They put their guns through some mighty severe testing procedures that others don't. I especially like the barrel obstruction test. http://www.streetpro.com/usp/torture.html

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Don wrote:
But when you carry, you need a cartridge that will stop a drugged up bad guy !

????.......I'm not aware that anyone makes a concealable weapon in .50 BMG.

Plenty of advise here, some of it very good.
Bottom line-
1- Anything is better than nothing.
2- Get something that works for YOU ( this may mean more than one firearm).
3- Practice, practice, practice (ex: Can you operate your gun in complete darkness?)
4- Remeber the inherent limitations of handgun calibers.
5- Buy the best gun(s) and Ammo you can afford.
6- Drugs can make an attacker seemingly unstoppable, and totally uncontrollable/unpredictable.
7- Don't stop shooting just because you think you have hit him. Shoot until the threat is neutralized.

Also, there has been alot said here about distance to a threat.
Fact: An assailant with and edged weapon can engage you from a distance of 21Ft before you can draw and fire a handgun, This has been PROVEN!

Here is an article you may find interesting.

"The Fantasy Of Protection By A Handgun

Ownership of a handgun does not guarantee immunity from a knifer, and Law Enforcement Personnel have their own unique set of concerns – which we’ll bring into the picture from this point on. But many of the same principles apply to any owner of a handgun.

An edged weapon does not guarantee a quick kill. Neither do bullets. Often there is no time to draw; very often this is by design. It is well documented that bullets often fail immediately to stop a motivated attacker. Law enforcement officers thus need control tactics to deal with someone at close range so that injuries sustained from bullets can take their toll, or to create an opportunity to draw and bring a weapon to bear.

Prison warders have perhaps a greater awareness of the dangers of edged weapons due to the fact that they are unarmed when they go about their duties, relying on instinct, natural weapons and the use of their environment. Armed officers however, may have an unrealistic, perhaps false, sense of security

There is a saying “Don’t bring a gun to a knife fight.” Here is the reason. The Tueller Drill (named for Sgt. Dennis Tueller of the Salt Lake City Police) demonstrated that the concept of draw and fire on a target at 7 yards (6.5m or 21ft) was not decisive, but resulted in a tie when the aggressor charged the shooter. An average time of 1.5 seconds was calculated for an aggressor to cover a distance of 21 (6.4m) feet.

In local experiments it has been shown that 7 metres can be covered in just over 7/10ths of a second, and an expert draw time was calculated at 1.3 seconds. If you are taken by surprise by a knife wielding assailant, or the assailant takes evasive action, you are almost sure to lose the confrontation should you rely solely on your firearm.

Sgt. Tueller concluded that someone with a knife or club at a distance of 21 feet or less was a potentially lethal threat. (Note that Jeff Cooper at GunSite teaches a drill time of 1.5 seconds for drawing a handgun and firing two aimed shots)

To illustrate the seriousness with which this threat is viewed, the "Tueller drill" is now a standard part of Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute classes (nationally known for arms training programs for law enforcement"

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=308
Last edited by Donnerhund GWP on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

Ridgeviewer

Post by Ridgeviewer » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 pm

I carry a Glock 19. It's fast, concealable, accurate, and I've never had a misfire. I've even tried to force a misfire by intentionally limp wristing, and shooting the gun filthy. Still no misfires....
Many police forces around the country carry glocks. They can't afford to be wrong!

As far as the 357's. Most concealed carry issues happen after dark. Shoot a 357 in the dark once and you'll wish you had anything else if you need to shoot twice...

Ridge

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:49 pm

I have a Taurus .38 Special. It's small and easy to conceal. So far I like it.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:05 am

most 357 ammo mfg in the last 3 decades has a flash suppressant/inhibitor in the powder. i have fired hundreds if not thousands of 357 rounds in low light, and have not noticed a loss of night vision. i have fired some communist surplus ammo in other calibers and have thought i might receive a fine for burning without a permit.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:16 am

Here in NJ I have a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun... wait a minute, can't carry that. It is classified as a firearm and you must even have an FID card to buy one. So I will rely on my slingshot. ..... uh er wait, those are illegal - period. Felony weapons charge. I should turn my mother-in-law in for mailing one to my kids. I didn't know whether to turn it in to the police or destroy it.

Hmmmm, okay, for concealed carry I have a few rocks in my pockets that I will throw at an assailant as I turn and run. I also have 3 rocks taped to my ankle in case my pocket rocks are taken from me.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:51 am

Mine is a Kahr LadyK9. It's too big and heavy to carry on my person, so I have a concealment purse. I'm toying with the idea of getting a little S&W .38 revolver that I looked at last weekend. Frame wise, it's about the same size, but the shape and contours of it are much kinder to my rib cage than my 9 mm.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:16 pm

utahmomof4 wrote:Mine is a Kahr LadyK9. It's too big and heavy to carry on my person, so I have a concealment purse. I'm toying with the idea of getting a little S&W .38 revolver that I looked at last weekend. Frame wise, it's about the same size, but the shape and contours of it are much kinder to my rib cage than my 9 mm.
Take a look at the Taurus. I like the light weight of it.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:20 am

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
utahmomof4 wrote:Mine is a Kahr LadyK9. It's too big and heavy to carry on my person, so I have a concealment purse. I'm toying with the idea of getting a little S&W .38 revolver that I looked at last weekend. Frame wise, it's about the same size, but the shape and contours of it are much kinder to my rib cage than my 9 mm.
Take a look at the Taurus. I like the light weight of it.
I'll do that. Thanks for the recommendation. Which model do you have?

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:42 pm

Which model do you have?
Taurus Ultralight Titanium .38 Special
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

g huns

Post by g huns » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:25 am

I'm a die hard 1911 guy. Safe, even locked and cocked, flat, easy to conceal. Been carrying my Springfield Compact with aluminum frame and ported barrel for 10 years now. It took a lot of feed throat work to get it to cycle 235 grain Gold Dots every time, but man I would hate to see what one would do at close range.

JH

Post by JH » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:11 am

The 1911 platforms are hard to beat. For something small enough to carry, take a look at the Kimber Ultra CDP II.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:44 am

My husband is a 1911 fan as well. His carry gun is a Dan Wesson CBOB in .45.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

dudley

Post by dudley » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:11 am

when my dad was a prosecutor for the various biker trials in the 80's he was the only crown atorny in ontario if not canada issued a hand gun he carried a colt chief in 38 special +p with hydra shocks nice little gun