How many of you shoot sporting clays?

gar-dog

How many of you shoot sporting clays?

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:02 pm

I try to shoot when I can. We put together a group or tri-staters (NY, NJ, PA) to shoot at Pocono Manor last fall. We had a great BBQ afterward. Here was a group shot - and that's me in the blue fleece towards the right.... We had all met online and most were meeting for the first time.

Motley Crew...

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am

The club I belong to has a sporting clay coarse and I get out when I can.
It is fin to get out with some friends and shoot the coarse. There is always some ribbing for missed shots and we always have a great time.
Great practice for grouse season for sure!

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 am

Fun. I've done it once. The gun club where I shoot only does it during the warm months. I want to try it some more this summer, though.

I shoot mostly trap, but want to start doing some skeet soon, too, and will get to try my hand at 5-stand next month.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:51 pm

I shoot skeet just about every saturday or sunday when it starts getting warmer. Then Quail, Pheasant, and Duck season take over so I have very little time for that until it starts to warm up again. I think I am going to start trying to go again though. Skeet has been the major factor in me getting better at wingshooting. Due to all the practice I was able to take a limit (15) doves with 22 shells one day this season.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:10 pm

romeo212000 wrote: Due to all the practice I was able to take a limit (15) doves with 22 shells one day this season.
Nice! A good round or two at the clays course can sometime equal the shooting a hunter does in a whole season. You almost have no choice but to improve!

The Zephyr

Sporting Clays

Post by The Zephyr » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:11 pm

I shoot sporting clays at a local club where I am a member. The club offers a number of firearm opportunities. Trap, skeet, rifle and handgun to name a few of the others. I joined to hone my wingshooting skills.
Prior to becoming a member I was relegated to the local sand pits with some good friends taking turns throwing clays from mobile bench launchers. We had some pretty good shoots, but it's alot nicer to have the course automated.

It definitley bettered my gunning.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

fuess

sporting clay

Post by fuess » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:31 pm

I try to shoot every SUnday. Belong to a club with 5stand and shoot at local sporting clays in NJ and PA. If you are ever interested in shooting, I/We can always use an extra body.

Fuess

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Hey Fuess. I think we have corresponded before on SGW. Welcome.
G

fuess

Post by fuess » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:20 am

I think so. Did not know you have bird dogs as well. We have the same afflictions. Training a new dog myself. Retired my older bird dog this year, s this was a transition yr for me.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:56 pm

The company I work for has a sporting clays outing instead of golf. We do it in October, just before hunting season, so it gives me a good opportunity to brush up.
It's always alot of fun. We have breakfast @ the clubhouse, shoot five stations & split up into equally matched teams for the full course (with a friendly wager on the winning team, of course). This year we ended up in a tie & the tie breaker was a tie as well, so we split the pot. Afterward, we went back to the clubhouse for lunch!

A side note & word of warning... The boss did the math & picked up several cases of shells, thinking he was going to have extras, but the boxes of shells only had twenty rounds per! We ended up several boxes short & had to clear out the club owner's private stock!

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 pm

Depending on the time year, I shoot either skeet or sporting clays most every weekend. Anything but Trap which is a waste of good ammunition. :lol:
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

Razor

Post by Razor » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

All summer long, when I am not fly fishing

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:38 am

What ! no women.....Years ago thats how I learned how to shoot.I love to shoot sporting clays.Got many many trophys and went to an all women
state shoot in Wisconsin and shot 97 out of 100 and took 2nd place. :)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 am

I wish I could get my wife to shoot! Maybe when the kids are gone, who knows?

The group shoot was all random shotgunworld members - anyone could have come. No bias there.

FYI, you may notice some beers in the pic. The course was a half mile away by cart, we were finished, and all firearms were put away in the cars. The old manor house had this great outdoor brick grill and we all brought food and had a great BBQ.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:37 am

gar-dog wrote:I wish I could get my wife to shoot! Maybe when the kids are gone, who knows?
My husband got me educated and interested in guns to begin with, but he's more a rifle and pistol shooter (shoots defensive pistol regularly). I've taken off with the shotgun sports all on my own, thanks in part to participation in some Becoming an Outdoor Woman and Women in the Outdoors events. :D
LORI

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Women Shooters

Post by BigShooter » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm

My wife took gun safety when we were first married but now-a-days she's only interested in shooting me each time I make plans to go shooting or hunting with our sons, my brothers, sister-in-law and nephews. She's been invited to participate at the range and walk the fields with or without a weapon. I must be using the wrong training techniques. Come to think of it she should be the dog trainer cause she's gotten me well trained to feel guilty everytime I go!

You'd think she'd be happy to get me out of the house ! :(

P.S. Fortunately: The guns are locked up. The ammo is stored separately, also locked and I have the keys. :wink:

Honkers41

Post by Honkers41 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I shoot every other week....i'm a member of the Buckcounty Fish&Game..here in Montgrmery county...its great fun and alot of the shooters are willing to help you on some of bad habits...its a great time...Honkers41

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Cool, but why is the Bucks County club in Montgomery County? :)

utahmomof4

Re: Women Shooters

Post by utahmomof4 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 pm

BigShooter wrote:My wife took gun safety when we were first married but now-a-days she's only interested in shooting me each time I make plans to go shooting or hunting with our sons, my brothers, sister-in-law and nephews. She's been invited to participate at the range and walk the fields with or without a weapon. I must be using the wrong training techniques. Come to think of it she should be the dog trainer cause she's gotten me well trained to feel guilty everytime I go!

You'd think she'd be happy to get me out of the house ! :(

P.S. Fortunately: The guns are locked up. The ammo is stored separately, also locked and I have the keys. :wink:
Being a woman myself, I just have to say that I'm sorry she puts you through that. Don't feel guilty. Let her pout, and you just go and enjoy yourself. She'll either get over it or start coming along eventually. :)
LORI

Honkers41

Post by Honkers41 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm sorry it is in buck county...over the countyline...my Bad... :lol: Honkers41

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Being a woman myself, I just have to say that I'm sorry she puts you through that. Don't feel guilty. Let her pout, and you just go and enjoy yourself. She'll either get over it or start coming along eventually.
Or divorce him. Don't drive like my brother.

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:00 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:
Being a woman myself, I just have to say that I'm sorry she puts you through that. Don't feel guilty. Let her pout, and you just go and enjoy yourself. She'll either get over it or start coming along eventually.
Or divorce him. Don't drive like my brother.
Huh? Did you mean divorce her? Just checking. :)
LORI