Mossberg 935 Magnum Flyway Waterfowl edition

Lighty7

Mossberg 935 Magnum Flyway Waterfowl edition

Post by Lighty7 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Im thinking about getting one pretty soon, any of yall have one???

omega58

Post by omega58 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 am

Yep, bought one last year at Gander for $499, great gun and no trouble with any 3" or 3 1/2" shells. . .it is not designed for 2 3/4", but mine will cycle almost anything. . .make sure you shoot some heavy loads to help break in the spring. I shoot Fiocchi Crusher 1300 fps at skeet, never a problem and I had a lot of them, so I stick with them.

Add a Limbsaver as well and it will help out with the mag loads.

tanner

Post by tanner » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:16 pm

i have a mossberg 835 pump action and its the best gun ive ever owned, ive heard different about the autoloaders, especially the 935, i had planned on getting one until i read reviews, every review i read said the spacer was made of plastic! they said it would cycle one shell and the only way to get it out was to shoot it so i ended up getting a stoeger m2000 and i love it. not trying to stop ya from getting it, the one u get mite be the greatest gun ever.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:00 pm

tanner wrote:i have a mossberg 835 pump action and its the best gun ive ever owned, ive heard different about the autoloaders, especially the 935, i had planned on getting one until i read reviews, every review i read said the spacer was made of plastic! they said it would cycle one shell and the only way to get it out was to shoot it so i ended up getting a stoeger m2000 and i love it. not trying to stop ya from getting it, the one u get mite be the greatest gun ever.
I'll let you know after I get back in March from my snow goose hunt if it held up or not. I think the biggest problem with the spacer is that some guys put it back in backwards. . .some claim to have not. I put several mag rounds through mine this year, along with some target loads and didn't have a problem. I had a Stoeger 2000 that I won at a PF banquet, it is an ok gun for the money, but my buddy that I sold it to is now having some cycling problems, not sure why? I bought the Mossberg 930 to replace the 2000, much better gun for me and I love the shim kit to adjust fit. . .the gas system handles mag loads much better than the Stoeger.

chisro

mossberg 935

Post by chisro » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:46 pm

I just picked one up (yesterday)and tried running some 2 3/4" target shells thru it and it would not cycle.
I gave it a good cleaning after my disappointing shoot-any suggestions on how may heavy loads I should run thru it before it will loosen up and run the 2 3/4" loads thru it?
I bought this thinking it would be a great all round shotgun-bummed that it hangs on 2 3/4" rounds...
BTW I know that it is only designed to take 3 or 3 1/2" shells!
Otherwise-it breaks down nicely and cleans up easily.
"A bad day hunting is far better than a GREAT day at work!"
thanks

omega58

Re: mossberg 935

Post by omega58 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:27 pm

chisro wrote:I just picked one up (yesterday)and tried running some 2 3/4" target shells thru it and it would not cycle.
I gave it a good cleaning after my disappointing shoot-any suggestions on how may heavy loads I should run thru it before it will loosen up and run the 2 3/4" loads thru it?
I bought this thinking it would be a great all round shotgun-bummed that it hangs on 2 3/4" rounds...
BTW I know that it is only designed to take 3 or 3 1/2" shells!
Otherwise-it breaks down nicely and cleans up easily.
"A bad day hunting is far better than a GREAT day at work!"
thanks
I ran about 25 mag rounds through mine before trying a target load.
What shells are you using? The cheap Gun Club "bleep"'s special don't do well in my 935, so I don't use them. Also, the Walmart special Winnys and some Federal 1145 FPS shells. . .those are the only three I have found that don't cycle well. . .I have had good success with most over 1250 FPS. . .but some cheap special don't like semi-autos. . . the gun clubs we had didn't do well in my buddy's Benelli either, with him having about the same number of failures in his M2. . .and that is a 3" gun.

My favorite shell that I am fully confident in is the Fiocchi Crusher at 1300 fps. . .they make a SuperCrusher now at 1400 fps. . .should do well on grouse. :lol:

chisro

Re: Mossberg 935 Magnum Flyway Waterfowl edition

Post by chisro » Fri May 09, 2008 5:09 pm

After the cleaning, I was able to get to the range again. I ran 5 3" winchester turkey rounds through it , and then 5 3" estate waterfoul rounds through it and then the 2 3/4" Federal target loads through it. It cycled perfectly through 100 rounds after that. I was very relieved to have it work. It was totally my fault for not cleaning right out of the box first before trying a light load.
It has been a long time since a ran a turkey load through a shotgun....I was quickly reminded how "challenging" that round was! I have no complaints-this seems like it will be a great all round shotgun. Any other tips you can give me?
thanks for responding...

omega58

Post by omega58 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:02 am

chisro wrote:After the cleaning, I was able to get to the range again. I ran 5 3" winchester turkey rounds through it , and then 5 3" estate waterfoul rounds through it and then the 2 3/4" Federal target loads through it. It cycled perfectly through 100 rounds after that. I was very relieved to have it work. It was totally my fault for not cleaning right out of the box first before trying a light load.
It has been a long time since a ran a turkey load through a shotgun....I was quickly reminded how "challenging" that round was! I have no complaints-this seems like it will be a great all round shotgun. Any other tips you can give me?
thanks for responding...
Go put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it for absorbing the mag loads.

smackem

Post by smackem » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Yeah the limb saver is a good idea. Just got back from arkansas and my cheek and shoulder is a little rough. So much for lower recoil with a semi. I had a lot of problems with my 935 at first, but I noticed the forearm retainer was broke and they shipped me one at no cost. Also I started using break free CLP and the gun works great. Just have to clean it after every shoot. I'm thinking of putting in a mid barrel pin on the sight rail just for those quick shots, but that's just me.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:36 pm

I've got a 935 and couldn't be happier. It cycled all shells...2.75 on up first use. I've probably put 6-7 boxes through it in a year.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:11 pm

I looked at one pretty hard, but ended up buying a Stoeger 2000 instead. It was alot better fit, mainly because I am not used to the thumb safety on the Mossberg!