Benelli's UltraLight in 20guage.

SouthDakotaBound

Benelli's UltraLight in 20guage.

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:48 am

Wanting to know if anyone has this gun in a 20 guage. If so how do you like it?? I have swung this gun and like how it fits me. Haven't shot one yet. Will be using this gun for doves and quail. If I find the right choke tube I might use it as a pheasant gun to.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:13 pm

Check out this thread at shotgunworld for some more info:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=88300

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:22 pm

Had one for 3 years and have not yet missed a quail with it, it is very light to carry and handle. Points and swings like a 12, a great gun. Mine will end up with my grandson.

I cannot imagine what the other writer is talking about. I have been a shoot for 45 years and it will be at the top of that lifetime list.

I would encourage you to get one, no other 20 compares. Have a Remington and had a Beretta 391 and sold it, it did not compare to the Benelli.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:25 pm

Pepper,
Had one for 3 years
Was the Benelli "Ultralight" 20 ga. really available 3 years ago?
I cannot imagine what the other writer is talking about.
To whom and what are you referring to? I think there were about 26 posts of various opinions on the shotgunworld thread and no other person on this thread offered any opinions.

Mark

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:25 pm

My understanding was this is the first year they are offering it in a 20 gauge ? Maybe they had a diffrent kind over the past years ?

I think it would make a great gun for whatever you want to shoot...if they made it in a lefty id take a look at one.

If you get one let me know how it works for you.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:53 am

South Dakota Bound, Benelli does not make an Ultra lite in 20 ga. 12 only. If you want a 20 ga. then you need to look at the m2 if you want new. If you can settle for used, then you may find a M1. If you want a wood gun then look at the Montefeltro. They do make the Cordoba in 20, but that is a clays gun.
The M2 with a 26 in. barrel is about 5 3/4lbs.
Best semi auto ever made.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Vman wrote:South Dakota Bound, Benelli does not make an Ultra lite in 20 ga. 12 only.
Benelli certainly does offer the Ultralight in 20ga. A local shop here has one and I've held it. Its a very nice little gun. The Benelli website now shows the 20ga also.

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/ultralight.tpl
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

Thanks for showing me that Will, I didn`t know. I have a Ultra Lite in 12 ga. Very nice gun. BUt,, it only holds two in the magazine. I modified it too hold three and one. That gun in a 20 would be awesome. But I bet it would be hard to shoot . I will check one out.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:34 am

I own a 12 ga. UltraLight and have shot the 20 ga. in hunting conditions. I am content with the 12 ga. and see no advantage in owning a 20 ga. in this model.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Will

Post by Will » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Vman - What length barrel ya got on your BUL? I have had a 24" 12ga on order since early in January and can't wait.....I actually have dibs on a 24" or a 26"....so i can check them both out when they arrive.

We are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine in Illinois.

I opted for the 12ga just because I mainly pheasant hunt. We have to cover ALOT of miles for our two birds down here...LOL...I'm thinking that light gun is gonna be great.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:11 pm

I just got a 12 gauge ultra light today. I have shot 20 gauge sxs's all my life but age is catching up with me (that's the excuse I'm using at least) and I seem to be missing more birds than I used to. I got the 24" bbl model. Guess we will now find out if the 12 helps me shoot any better. :lol:

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:04 am

Vman - What length barrel ya got on your BUL? I have had a 24" 12ga on order since early in January and can't wait.....I actually have dibs on a 24" or a 26"....so i can check them both out when they arrive.

We are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the magazine in Illinois.

I opted for the 12ga just because I mainly pheasant hunt. We have to cover ALOT of miles for our two birds down here...LOL...I'm thinking that light gun is gonna be great.
It is 26 in. I prefer the 26 because it balanced the gun better.
You can only have 3 shots for upland also? Do you have to shoot non toxic ?
I haven`t hunted down there for a while.
I have relatives that farm near Springfield used to get some good hunting, but now everything is worked right up to the asphalt and the fence rows are gone. :cry:

Will

Post by Will » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:03 am

Non-toxic is only required on some state sites for now....probably soon to be all state sites....and for any waterfowl hunting. I'm also pretty sure that any shotgun has the limit of two in the mag and one in the chamber...regardless of what you're hunting. There may be an early or late goose season that allows the plug to come out.....not sure.

As far as farming everything up....yeah its just how it is...I'm about an hour and a half north of Springfield...prime farming ground....used to also mean prime pheasant ground...but not anymore....farming practices have just changed.

HOBO

Re: Benelli's UltraLight in 20guage.

Post by HOBO » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:56 pm

I have a 20 ga benelli montefeltro and a 20 ga franchi al 48, both weigh about 5/12 lbs.

I do not believe that I will trade either for the benelli ultra lite, however they have benelli quality which is hard to beat.
I sure like safety behind trigger instead of in front as with Beretta.
I do not know know if they shot 3 or 5 shots, if it is 3 I would certainly not make that change.

Happy hunting

Razor

Post by Razor » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:13 pm

I would just buy the Monty if you are looking for a 20. $400 more dollars for a less than a 1/2 pound difference is not worth it in my opinion. I have the 12 Ultralight with a 26" barrel. I really like it but it only saved me a little less than a pound. I really like the raised rib on the Ultra, I am not sure I would spend the extra cash on it again though. I think I would buy the M2 if I were to do it again.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:02 pm

I've got a 20guage Montefeltro. The thing is a feather. A little too much of a feather cause I cannot hit well with it consistantly. Some guys (most?) have trouble shooting lightweight guns well. Something to keep in mind before you drop a couple grand on one.

The 12 guage Monte is about as light a gun as I can use effectively. I let the kids shoot the 20, and when I have to perform, I use a 687 sporting clays gun with 30" barrells.

tnduxcaller

Post by tnduxcaller » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:20 pm

I shoot a 620 Franchi at quail. It holds 6shots and weighs 5.9lbs is what the box said. As long as you keep it clean, it shoots and shoots. If you can find one used, it seems to be a good gun.. They do not make them anymore...It was before the 720 for about 2-3yrs. They are a gas gun, not recoil/spring. You can usually find them from $500-$600....Good luck on what you choose....

mik

Post by mik » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm

I've owned a 20 g FRANCHI 48-AL w/ 26" barrel for six years now and just love the gun...Under $500, light, and dependable....3 turkey, multiple pheasant, woodcock,grouse, and maybe a few Southern ducks in the near future....

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Bought the 20 GA Ultra Light. Great gun to carry. I'm six foot, 190lbs and couldn't hit crap with it. Went back to my Red Label and although it's heavier, I am putting more birds in the bag.

The Ultra Light is in the gun safe. I'll get my wife to try it at the skeet range this summer.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 am

I bought the Franchi 720 for my wife, and it is very light at around 5-1/2 pounds. She likes it a lot, and it is a well made gun. I would imagine a Benelli Ultralight 20 is probably more or less that same gun as the Franchi, just as the Benelli 3000 O/U is a dressed-up Stoeger Condor.

However, I have been trying to get a replacement youth stock for the 720, and it has been over three months now since I ordered it. It is still back ordered, and neither the gun shop nor I can seem to get an answer as to when it will be available. A call to Benelli get you shuffled around from recorded message to recorded message. I have tried several times and have yet to connect with a live person - which I find very frustrating. From my perspective, a company that does not have a common part available for a model currently in production has a big problem, but the poor customer service is a bigger one.

They make excellent guns, but I am not having a very good experience as a customer. Maybe I should send an e-mail to Tom Knapp. After all, he represents the company to the public.