Burris Fullfield2
24%
Leupold VX-1
76%

Total votes: 17

dudley

Which scope is better

Post by dudley » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:41 pm

I'm trying to decide which scope to mount on the Huskvarna 30-06 i'm getting. I'm trying to decide between Burris and Leupold and becaus i'm hunting equaly in closer wooded areas and med range open fields i want a 2-7x scope. I'm trying to decide between the Burris Fullfield 2 and the Leupold VX-1 which are priced at 250 and 290$ respecrively or to go for the Leupold VX-2 which cost around 400$. Let me know what you think please.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:46 pm

I can't tell you which scope is better, but I have always had good luck with Leupold.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:00 pm

I can tell you whick one is better. FF2 without a dought.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:24 pm

I always have a tough time deciding between Simmons or Weaver.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:07 pm

I have found leupolds are clearer to edge then your low end scopes are and also are a bit better at gathering light ...but if you get a 40-50 mm lense ligt gathering will be much more and for your closer range areas you'll get much better field of veiw
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 am

I always opt to move up to at least a VX-2 but really prefer Nikon optics. If you're thinking of a VX-2 you should look at the Zeiss Conquest. Sorry about the name dropping as there are so many good scopes today.

If you haven't done this already: check sharpness of view at the edges, eye relief and look through them outside of the store in low light conditions. That's when you'll really notice the difference between low, medium and high end scopes.

P.S. Opps - the Zeiss is a 3x9.

EWSIV

Post by EWSIV » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:32 am

The Burris can be had much cheaper than that.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-2x-7 ... copes.html

Leopold is good too, and can be had cheaper.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-var ... ticle.html

dudley

Post by dudley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:05 pm

i'm sure they can be had cheaper but I'm in Canada and stuuf always more here, but i know the store owner so he should cut me a deal, I don't want to go cheap when i', buying a scope so i was looking at the VX-2 but then one of the guys at the store tried to tell me that the Burris FF2 was just as good? and that guys had been switching them for their Leupolds because of the balistaplex.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:47 pm

Burris makes good scopes, lots of folks buy them. They always used to be about 15% or so heavier than Leupolds and that's one reason I didn't buy them.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:26 pm

I've had nothing but good luck with both Burris and Leupold scopes of that type. You might check the warranty to see if there is a material difference.

At high magnifications, the Leupold would be superior.

Having said that, I have a Weaver T36 that just lucked into a really superior set of lenses. It's clear as most Leupolds.

If I ever start back to shooting benchrest, though, I'm going to have to try a March. I've heard really incredible things.

Greg J.

dudley

Post by dudley » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 pm

thanks EWSIV they had the VX-2 for 150$$ cheaper!!!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Husqvarna makes a dern fine chainsaw, too.

My vote is for Leupold, I have two and they are the clearest, most consistent scopes I own. The one on my Encore 209x50 never, ever, loses zero.

Ever.

The one on my 30-06 I wouldn't know about lately, I haven't shot that rifle in years. My guess is it will still be on it's zero at 150 yards where I left it.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:18 am

I voted for the Leupold although I've never had anything but the Vari-X II or VX-II, but I've also had good luck with the Fullfield II.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 am

Greg,

March? Never heard of them. Could you share a link or some info?

I've always had great luck with Leupold and am quite fond of them, but I don't think you could go wrong with the Burris either, or Zeiss, or Swarovski, or any other quality scope for that matter.

You might also look here:
http://www.riflescopes.com/default.asp
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

dudley

Post by dudley » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:14 pm

the guy at the gun shop near me said that unless i go all the way up to the VX-3 the best bang for the buck is the fullfield 2

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:53 pm

You gun shop guy would be right, in my opinion. The VX1 is Leopolds low end, budget priced scope. The FF2 is a notch above the old full field for Burris. Truth is, you could lump those two in with a Nikon buckmaster series and probably have fine service out of any of them.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:33 am

AHGSP wrote:Greg,
March? Never heard of them. Could you share a link or some info?
I'm at work and they block us from anything gun related.

Here is a link to a Google search that turns up some good hits:

http://www.google.com/search?q=march+sc ... f8&oe=utf8

The ones on Benchrest.com forums are going to provide the best information.

The bottom line is that they currently only have benchrest scopes. I think they are marketing a 50x fixed and a something-60x variable. They are very "upper end".

The scope came about in answer to Point Of Impact shifting in the Leupold benchrest scopes. I think the clarity is a secondary, but beneficial thing.

Kelbly's http://www.kelbly.com/ is as far as I know the only outlet for the March.

If someone is really into varmint rifles, and doesn't mind spending money on the very best, it would be a great scope.

What I'm looking forward to is the pressure that it might have on the other scope makers to produce a better product.

Greg J.