Benelli Ultra Light

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Benelli Ultra Light

Post by highcotton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Well, I fired up the new Benelli Ultra Light yesterday. After years of shooting fixed breech guns I was concerned about getting used to the feel of something different. It was no problem at all. I shot for a friend while he was working dogs on pen raised birds (I was flushing and shooting while he handled the dogs) so I actually got to bust some feathers with the new gun.

The UL with 24" bbl feels and points right up there with a good sxs or o/u. I think I made a good choice.

mtjim

Post by mtjim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 am

Highcotton, I bought one last April and used it on my trip to North Dakota in October. I didn't have any complaints.

Now I will confess to missing more quail with it than I should have this last season but that could have happened with my O/U as well! :oops:

I took it to the Sporting Clays range Sunday a week ago and shot 19 out of 25 on the 5 Stand there. I was pleased with that.

I'm going to use the 12 ga. BUL (benelli ultra light) for pheasants and doves and my Browning 16 ga. O/U SuperLight for quail.

I'm probably gonna empty the safe and keep these two as my go to guns for the last chapter of my shooting life.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:55 pm

I just picked my BUL up today!!!! I got the 12ga. w/ 26" barrell.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

petey

Post by petey » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Glad you guys are liking your new UL's, I got mine last summer and took it to Wi. grouse hunting last Oct. and was a little disappointed with mine but I fixed problem. It wasn't really a problem with the gun, just me and not shooting it enough before taking it on a real hunt. I also have a Benelli 20 ga that I've used for years and it was a dead on killer right out of the box with the factory shims installed. Both are 24" barrels and I figured that they would shoot about the same. I shot about 2 boxes of ammo at clays with the UL and did fair so I figured it would take a little getting use to so off to the great northwoods I went. I killed several birds with the gun but also missed alot of birds that I knew I should have killed, and I didn't take my 20ga as a backup gun which was a bad idea. If you guys are grouse hunters you know that you don't have time to aim at grouse, you must have a gun thats shoots where you look to kill grouse. Well as soon as I got home I started changing shims, mine came out of the box with the "B" installed so I tried the "C" shim and no better even maybe a little worst so I went the other way and tried the "A" shim and it seemed better so I went to the extreme and put in the "Z" shim and bingo that was the ticket for my shooting style. I would make a change and then would hunt with it for several trips and shoot at grouse under hardcore thicket conditions. I just can't tune a gun in shooting at targets, it's just not he same as bird hunting. When you get it right you'll think sometimes how in the world did I kill that bird. I love mine now, can't hardly wait to get back up north for some revenge.
Last edited by petey on Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:54 pm

petey,

One of my brothers had a similar experience. He hits everything with his M1 20 ga. and can't hit a thing with his newer SBE II 12 ga.

petey

Post by petey » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:56 am

I would suggest for him to lay the M1 20 ga on the floor and then lay the SBE II on top of the 20 lining up the triggers and the stocks at the butts and check the drop at the end of the barrel on the SBE II. In my case the UL was appr. 3" lower than my 20 ga. By changing to the Z shim it brought the point of impact up the same as the my 20 ga montefeltro and I was good to go, which made me very happy because it's bad to put 1200 dollars in a gun that you can't hit with. That's a big plus on benelli shotguns, you have the advantage of changing the drop and cast. Most guns you have what you got and thats it.
I would bet he is shooting under his targets like I did.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:01 pm

petey,

Thanks for the advice and I will pass it along. Unfortunately one of his sons borrows the 12 ga. a lot and hits everything with it.

Mark