any side by side owners??

SouthDakotaBound

any side by side owners??

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:52 pm

I have been wondering about those side by side guns. I am going to a firearm/archery store in a week or so, will look at the CZ SXS BobWhite 20guage. Will use it on mostly woodcock, quail, and grouse.

Any opinions on this type of side by side, or just the side by side guns in general would be appreicated.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:22 pm

I love my 20 ga SxS. It isn't a CZ. I couldn't afford one of those. I have a Yildiz Elagant A5 from Academy.

Buford Boone

SxS CZ shotguns.

Post by Buford Boone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:54 pm

I've got three of them, had another that I sold.

I prefer the Bobwhite model, two triggers and straight stock. I sold a Rigneck (one trigger).

I've got a 20 ga., 28 ga., and a .410. I've shot mine extensively. I don't think you can find a better SxS for the money.

FYI, if God meant for us to shoot over/unders, he would have put our eyes on top of one another.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:41 pm

One, a Savage Fox, IC-M. Bought it used. Has a sticky trigger which sometimes which screws up the second shot.
A good bird dog is always the right color

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:47 pm

I've got two O/U's, and four SxS's. I am partial to double guns in any case, but I still haven't figured out which type I like better.

I just love my new Citori 16 gauge O/U, but I also just love my AH Fox 16 gauge SxS. It needs a bit of work so I'm not shooting that one right now.

My "beater" SxS is a Fox Model B 20 gauge, and it's a pretty good gun. It's nothing fancy: but it shoots well, carries well, and never has failed to go bang. I can drop it in the grass in the field to correct my dog without worrying about scratching it. That's the kind of guns I like. I appreciate nice wood on a gun as much as the next guy, but if I have to worry about a scratch or a ding, then I'm probably not going to hunt as hard as I should, and frankly that would make my dog angry with me, and I simply can't allow that to happen... :D

dudley

Post by dudley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 am

NJ GSP ah fox wow thats nice, my dad has a bernadelli and a sauer sxs i have and ithatca 500 o/u an ah fow though wow!!

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:09 pm

dudley wrote:NJ GSP ah fox wow thats nice, my dad has a bernadelli and a sauer sxs i have and ithatca 500 o/u an ah fow though wow!!
He did say "beater", like my gun, so assume it is a Savage Fox and not and AH Fox of Philadelphia.

Ithica SXS were I believe an SKB gun that I think are OK. I had a hold of one in a gun shop once and it seemed pretty decent. Fixed chokes though, and I may have picked it up if it was an IC-M. I think they one I looked at was a M-F. I had the clerk but one of the sizer gizmos in it to check.

I think I may go for a BSS if I can find the right one. They come up on gunbroker dot com every now and then. There may be some imposters out there though, not sure? I would think they would say made in Japan being a Citori SXS. I've seen some come up on gunbroker saying made in Korea? Does anyone know that to be true? Was the BSS a Japanese gun possibly contracted to Korea by the Japanese?

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Nevermind, my mistake, I re-read that post and the beater is another gun
along with the AH Fox....yes...very nice indeed!

Charlie

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 pm

I have had very good luck with SKB SxS's and O/U's. I have 2 model 200E's. Both came with fixed IC/M chokes. I sent one to Brileys and had it opened up to CYL/SK and left the other IC/M. Both are 20 gauges. I also have a 410 bore model 600 skeet gun. It only has 2 1/2 inch chambers and is choked SK/SK. In several years I have only had one failure with these guns. I had a firing pin break in the 410. Overall I have had excellent service from SKB products.

The BSS was manufactured by Miroku in Japan. Miroku also made the model 23 Winchester and a sxs for Charles Daily (which is almost a copy of the BSS). Everything made with the Miroku name is good stuff. Be sure to look for the Miroku name because some of the newer Charles Daily's and Winchesters are junk.

I have tried them all and still prefer the SKB, mainly, due to their lighter weight.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:01 pm

claybuster_aa wrote:Nevermind, my mistake, I re-read that post and the beater is another gun
along with the AH Fox....yes...very nice indeed!

Charlie
It is nice! It needs a bit of work though... but I feel lucky to have inherited it, along with a also-nice 1908 LC Smith Trap Double - 30" Nitro steel barrels choked Full/Full, with selective ejectors. It's not perfect by any sense; someone sanded and refinished the stock, so most of the checkering on the tang is gone, and there's a rubber recoil pad on it too, but hey - it is what it is. It also just smokes the clay birds, although I don't shoot it much these days...

I did say "beater" but I put it in quotes because the 20 gauge is pretty decent too, I just don't worry about it much, because it's a $400 gun any way you slice it. I take good care of it, and it's not like I'm driving fence staples with it.

:D

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:33 am

highcotton wrote:I have had very good luck with SKB SxS's and O/U's. I have 2 model 200E's. Both came with fixed IC/M chokes. I sent one to Brileys and had it opened up to CYL/SK and left the other IC/M. Both are 20 gauges. I also have a 410 bore model 600 skeet gun. It only has 2 1/2 inch chambers and is choked SK/SK. In several years I have only had one failure with these guns. I had a firing pin break in the 410. Overall I have had excellent service from SKB products.

The BSS was manufactured by Miroku in Japan. Miroku also made the model 23 Winchester and a sxs for Charles Daily (which is almost a copy of the BSS). Everything made with the Miroku name is good stuff. Be sure to look for the Miroku name because some of the newer Charles Daily's and Winchesters are junk.

I have tried them all and still prefer the SKB, mainly, due to their lighter weight.
I have always heard good reports about the SKB's. That Ithica SKB SXS
I still think about... the one you didn't get...maybe some day. But will probably pick up a BSS first. I figured Miruko on those, so anything saying Korea would be a knock-off I assume.

Charlie

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:39 am

nj gsp wrote:
I did say "beater" but I put it in quotes because the 20 gauge is pretty decent too, I just don't worry about it much, because it's a $400 gun any way you slice it. I take good care of it, and it's not like I'm driving fence staples with it.

:D
My Savage Fox B is definately a beater, I paid 300. Rainy day gun. Especially when the second shot is 50/50. I've pulled the trigger, sprayed it down with cleaner, light coat of Rem-oil, but it still sticks sometimes.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:52 am

I also like S X S's. I have a BBS sporter, 20 ga, I bought for 500.00 in the early 90's and now it's worth 3 times that or more.
A Ithaca NID, 12 Ga, 1930 vintage, looks nice but I can't shoot it very well, Thinking of trading it off for something with more comfortable demensions. It has beautiful wood and buffola horn butt plate, clean barrels, no pitting, some case colors if anyone is interested.
and a Spainish made 28 Ga, English stocked, Manufacturer ??? which handles like a dream. I went 7 quail for my first 7 shots with it. I do have a couple O/U's but enjoy the S X S's better. I wouldn't buy anything else.
Tom

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm

I wasn't going to respond but got lured in. My first gun was a used Winchester SxS 12 ga., double triggers, 28" fixed choke F/M purchased in 1965 for $80. Both stocks had nice checkering. The factory forend had been replaced with a "World Famous" :lol: Herter's stock.

The gun soon developed the nasty habit of blowing both barrels with the pull of one trigger. Eventually I got the problem fixed but not until after a few bloody fingers from the trigger guard.

At age 12, one day I was pass shooting ducks and geese in a white out snow storm along the edge of Rondeau Lake near Lino Lakes, MN. My fingers were more frozen than the rest of me. I saw a duck appear through the snow, I got about halfway to a standing position with my legs against the elevated, fallen over tree trunk I was sitting on. I fired ... you guessed it ... both barrels went off and with my knees bent against that log I went right over on my back.

Many years later I was in Jim Lewis's gun shop near Bagley, MN. I spotted a set of used double barrels against the wall and recognized them immediately. Jim told me to bring in my gun because the barrels would likely have to be custom fitted to my gun. For ruffed grouse, he bored out that second set of barrels from F/M to approximately IC-minus/M-minus. By the way the barrels were a perfect fit with no gunsmithing required.

It is with this gun I took five sharptails in the air with one shot about seven years ago. I spotted one bird on the ground through tall alfalfa. I pulled my gun up and pointed it at that lone bird. I fired just as it took off and unbeknownced to me the covey rose at the same time. In truth though after walking about 10 or so miles that day with no birds, with brief forethought and malicious intent I was fully prepared to ground swat that bird, which is a no-no in our group.

I still have my SxS but it feels like it gained about 2 1/2 pounds since I was a kid. Like I've said before I like light a lot when hunting upland birds so the old SxS will never be sold but it's lighter relatives grace my hands these days.

Mark

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:24 pm

I have a 20 gauge AyA Matador that was my grandfather's. Mechanically it is excellent and I love to shoot it. 28" barrels M/F, 3" chambers. Cosmetically it is pretty beat up, my dad and uncle's dragged it around my grandfather's ranch and beat the heck out of it for a lot of years (it was made in 1959). I have it apart right now and just stripped the old finish off. I'm going to take as many of the dents and scratches out of the wood as I can and re-finish the wood and try to get the rust freckles off the metal. This is one that isn't going anywhere and I'm going to try to get it nice before this fall. Might have the chokes openned up a little bit too if I have time after getting it put back together. If not I'll probably wait until next spring.

John

3 Joes

Post by 3 Joes » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:01 pm

I have a Browning 20ga sxs choked skt.x skt. and i love it. i mostly use it on quail but but it has droped a few pheasants in the field. I usually shout a o&u but have been shooting my sxs lately.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:08 pm

I've got a Browning SxS also. Mines's choked IC and Mod. It's old and some of the bluing is worm but mechanically it's in great shape. It's very light and it's fun to shoot. I use it for quail, grouse and pheasant.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:46 pm

I shoot a Ruger Gold Label 12 SXS and a CZ Bobwhite. Here is a picture of the CZ after I refinished it.

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Drath, I still can't get over the wood on that CZ...and to think they had it covered up.

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm

For many years I hunted with a hardware-store branded sxs 12 that I paid all of $125 for in 1980. It had two triggers and fixed chokes, and it managed to combine both extreme weight and vicious recoil. Oddly, though, I hit almost everything I shot at with it. Of all the guns I have tried since then, only the beretta silver pigeon comes close in terms of shootability. The beretta is a beautiful and well-balanced gun, but it's not as useful in the field as it could be due to its single trigger.

Trax

Re: any side by side owners??

Post by Trax » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:23 am

Extreme weight usually reduces recoil

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:11 am

I found a NR davis 20 ga in a antique shop in mich with my wife :D. Talked the guy down to 60$ out the door for it. I had to take it to a gunsmith and have the firing pins reworked :cry: They were both broken off. O well live and learn. Works real well now though. Don't have a clue what it's worth, just like the to rib my buddies when I shot a bird with it.

Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:50 pm

Following up from my earlier post on the refinishing:
Here's the before:

Here's what it looks like now:

John

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Nice work - looks good.

Would you mind describing the method and product you used?

Thanks,
Dave

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 am

I bought some spray on stripper at Home Depot and, after taking everything apart, sprayed it all over the wood and let it sit for a few minutes. I used a plastic scraper and the varnish that was on the stock just peeled off, it worked really well and it was cheap - I used an old toothbrush for the checkering. I steamed out most of the dents with a wet t-shirt and iron (I can give more details on that if you want - it works really well). The steam raised the grain on the stock so, after taping over the checkering, I went over it with 220 grit sandpaper followed by 400 and then 600. I then applied tung oil with 220 grit sandpaper to a small section at a time, wiping the excess off with a t-shirt. Let that set overnight (or until it's totally dry) then did the same with 400 grit and after that was dry did the same with 600. Then I applied about a thin coat a day of tung oil buffing it with a t-shirt until I had about 8 or 10 coats on it. After about the 3rd or 4th coat I took the tape off the checkering and started putting a very small amount of tung oil into the checkering. On the buttplate and grip cap (which are made of horn) I cleaned them up with a soft brush and 0000 steel wool and then put coats of linseed oil on them. I soaked the rusty spots is remoil and worked it lightly with 0000 steel wool - it didn't make all the rust go away but it made a noticeable difference.

It was a fun project and I'm very happy with the results. The best part is that I probably only have about $25 in the whole project. The problem is now I've found myself looking for beater doubles to refinish.

John

kstitz

Post by kstitz » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:12 pm

I have three sxs guns. A CZ Ringneck 20ga, an Uggie LCS Grade I 20ga and an Uggie Exell Arms model 221 12ga. I used the CZ exclusively the past 2 years, and just recently bought the 2 Uggies. I recently sold my Beretta Silver Mallard that I loved until I started shooting a sxs. Once you get one you will never want to hunt with anything else.
I am selling my CZ ringneck if anyone is interested.

Kelly

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:03 pm

The nicest sxs I have been able to fine in the last few years is a 20ga Ithaca SKB 280E ic and mod. It is the nicest sxs I have ever used bar none. After I bought it the price doubled in a year. If you can fine one get it you won't regret it one bit. Great gun. This one was last produced about 30 years ago. I don't think the last production run was as good as the older models.

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Yep turn of the century AH FOX 16. Passed down through the generations. I really do not hunt with any of my doubles anymore. The Urika 2 has solved that problem. The balance and smoothness of the gun is amazing. I just sold my Ultralight last week and bought another one.

Capt Gary

Post by Capt Gary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Four here: Two LC Smith Field Grades, one 30" IC/LtMod and a 28" SK/SK.
Ithaca NID 2E 26" SK/SK
Beretta 470 28" gun Mod/Full

Don't often shoot the Beretta, but really enjoy going in the field with the Elsie's and Ithaca.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:40 pm

I have a Baikal 20 gauge sxs. The stock is bent for a leftie like me, the barrels are only 26" which on that gun with the short action makes for a really short sight plain but man I shoot lights out with that gun. It is not the most elegant gun, it's more like a club but it is tough, reliable, and I just plain shoot it well. I have been thinking about looking at the Yildiz sxs since I have a 12 and a 20 in the O/U models. If you are going to look at a CZ you should really look at the Yildiz guns as well. The O/U models match up pretty well with nicer wood and a $200 cheaper price tag going to the Yildiz.

rich223

Post by rich223 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I have a CZ Bobwhite 28 ga. nice gun I seam to shoot it well even though the stock is a little long for me. Rich

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:30 am

Been interested in getting a sxs next spring. What would be a good intro 20 ga sxs? I really like the straight stocks. Don't want to spend a ton of money. Maybe $500 range. Then If I like the sxs I would upgrade to something better. Why two triggers compared to one? Can you shoot steel through a sxs?

How about something like this? Baikal Field 20 ga sxs
http://www.gunsamerica.com/943768421/Gu ... ga_SXS.htm

ky birdhunter

Post by ky birdhunter » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:30 pm

I got a CZ 28 gauge Ringneck. Absolutely love it.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:17 am

I only shoot S x S guns...started out that way and I guess its habit/comfort by now. I'm partial to older German guns with English stocks...and these guns usually have more drop which taller bird chasers often need. I peruse little out of the way gunshops and with patience, I usually stumble on a nice find once in a while. My favorite is a 1932 Sauer 16ga, in a straight stock weighs 6lb 3oz. Its my go to gun. Lived in Europe for years and brought back a few guns but they sit in the safe most of the time. With my old Sauer I know I won't embarrass myself (too bad anyway). As of late, I have been carrying a little 20 gauge drilling when we are in the Dakotas...we seem to scare up coyote quite often and have manged to kill a few with the rifle barrel...but only if they stop to look back...which isn't too often.

SXS ohio

Post by SXS ohio » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 am

I started with a heavy ranger SXS..sears 12ga. from dad....My older brother got a fox philly 20ga SXS and thats the only gun he ever used for bunnies and birds over his beagles. ....(-: I perchased my own pump 20ga hi-standard about 1970 ...it was a killing machine! later got a job at sheet & tube (seamless) with that extra cash perchased one of them fancy O/U SKB engraved 20-s.....never shot it well, did not know why?...sent it on its way. My next keeper was a special order wingmaster 20 lightweight mag 26" fixed full and a smooth deer barrel. Rabbits,roosters,ducks and deer. That was a nice shotgun...wish I still had it, not that I would use it...just to have. I have owned most any type of shotgun you could name over the years and now enjoy vintage american SXS guns...mostly parkers, Parkers repro's and Fox guns. I hope to own a nice L.C. smith and Maybe one of them heavy model 21-s or a new CSM Fox 16ga light game gun....maybe some day? Its the experience in the field like days gone by, not the body count! I have my best times just enjoying the friends, fine guns and great dogs on a brisk autum day! Anyone who plans to buy a SXS or any shotgun.....FIT_FIT_FIT make sure the gun fits and everything else will fall into place! Do not try to shoot multiple shotguns that have very diferent dementions....they all need to be very close to avoid missed shots from one gun to the other. Do not buy a gun unless the lenth of pull and drop at the heal are correct for you. Hold off till the right one comes availble! If it does not fit you...it will be for sale down the road. Yes you can learn to shoot a gun that does not fit...but that will be the only one you will shoot O.K. or well with practice. So many shotgunners exclaim...I can't shoot a SXS worth a dam. It does not matter the type of shotgun...only that it fits the shooter properly! Many of the old SXS guns had way to mutch drop at the heal...3" they called them rabbit guns couse they shoot so low. Todays guns are stocked high...about 2 1/4" I think this is about right. It also help big time to shoot regularly at clays,skeet or other forms....Maybe crow shooting..thats always fun! Thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-: