Ithaca SKB

claybuster_aa

Ithaca SKB

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 am

Well...I did it again, proud owner of a 20 Gauge Ithaca SKB 200 E. This gun is chambered skt/skt. Gun is being shipped to me from TN, and when she arrives I will try to get some pics posted up. Can't wait!

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

jackh

Re: Ithaca SKB

Post by jackh » Sat May 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Claybuster;

I've got an Ithaca SKB 500 O/U in 20 gauge; it is one great little gun. My buddy has a 280E that sure is a shooter as well.
Jackh

redtop

Post by redtop » Sat May 10, 2008 9:56 pm

I have 600 o/u 12 a god gun for the price.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon May 12, 2008 11:43 pm

This will be my first SKB. I hope it is a good choice. I bought a Beretta Silver Sporting Pigeon Sporting 12G 30" a year or so ago and the Citori Lightning Sporting wasn't getting much use. Put that money to good use and figured get something a bit more fun to shoot when not shooting the Silver Pigeon. When it comes to 12 gauge skeet, even though I am a weekend hack, I don't want to be switching up guns getting caught up in the psyh aspect of which gun I shoot better with, if that makes any sense. The Beretta is my 12G O/U, end of story. This 200E Ithaca SKB will be great to shoot I think. Skt/Skt is what I was looking for, and in 20G will be a nice compliment to my 1100 20G STD Skeet B, another great gun to shoot. This week it should be in, hopefully pick it up Sat. It has a small crack in the forend and the ad stated it has been repaired...probably with Krazy glue. I saw a picture of the crack and it didn't look too bad. I feel much better going used gun like this as opposed to taking a chance on what is out there today in a similar price range. I am confident the SKB's have that same reliability like the other Japanese gun makers, but not so sure what is out there now can match that craftsmanship and reliability. Unless you go higher end gun, there’s not many choices out there in 20G S/S today.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am

Try a set of Briley or Kolar 20 ultralight tubes in that Beretta and you'll never have to swap guns again.

You have a 1100 Std Weight? I have one and like it a lot. If you ever want to part with yours, please let me know.

Greg J.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2008 8:00 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Try a set of Briley or Kolar 20 ultralight tubes in that Beretta and you'll never have to swap guns again.
You have a 1100 Std Weight? I have one and like it a lot. If you ever want to part with yours, please let me know.Greg J.
Full size tubes would be nice! I have those little Cabelas Chamber Mates in 20 I use for Silver Pigeon. They work OK.

Here's the 1100: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 516#778516

Charlie

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 14, 2008 12:15 pm

I'll check out the 1100 from home this evening.

I checked again. Single gauge sets are much more expensive than when I was shooting. Not as economical now. But, with that said, for skeet, a tube set is swweeeet.

My lovely wife has given me a kitchen pass to replace my now-destroyed 682 with a O/U similar to yours. As soon as I can, I'll get a set of 20 ga tubes for it.

Greg J.

coveycreek

Post by coveycreek » Wed May 14, 2008 6:35 pm

I have a SKB 686 20ga that I adore. It is super light and handles like a dream. It also has an awesome piece of wood on it and the engraving is top notch. I wouldn't be scared of anything put out by skb.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2008 10:10 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:I'll check out the 1100 from home this evening.
I checked again. Single gauge sets are much more expensive than when I was shooting. Not as economical now. But, with that said, for skeet, a tube set is swweeeet.
My lovely wife has given me a kitchen pass to replace my now-destroyed 682 with a O/U similar to yours. As soon as I can, I'll get a set of 20 ga tubes for it.Greg J.
You're going to like that O/U. I looked into my barrel markings for a date, and I believe my Silver Pigeon is a '95 gun. Beretta date codes all guns on the barrel in Roman Numerals. To the best of my knowledge, back-bored barrels (lengthened forcing cones) were not as commonplace back then and these barrels were not back bored. I was thinking about having mine taken in and done. Your 682 may have had come with the Optima chokes. These Silver Pigeons were using the Beretta Mobil choke (treads are at the top).

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/ ... G_4386.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/ ... G_4363.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/ ... G_4368.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/ ... G_4371.jpg

My SKB should be here any day now. I figuring if my gun shop faxed his FFL out on Friday, then he said was going to mail on Saturday morning, which means sometime this week hopefully. I never called back to follow up if either was done. Maybe there is no gun? Internet scam? The thought crossed my mind...bogus ad, give up my credit card #'s over the phone...month goes by.... still no gun. Yikes. Hopefully I'll have some SKB pics to post here soon.

Charlie

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Wed May 14, 2008 10:40 pm

I've been thinking about the maiden voyage opening round with the 20 S/S. A 25 would be nice! A 22 is probably more like it...I'll lose one at 2, one at 6, and another in the middle there somewhere, probably 5 low. Hope those short 25" barrels won't mess me up. I'll try a lot of low gun. I made a box of reloads with the old vintage AA yellow hull with the red ink for the opening first round. This is assuming I even get gun and have not falling victim to a Internet gun scam.

Charlie

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri May 16, 2008 12:32 pm

The new gun:

I am very pleased with this to say the least!

Charlie

jackh

Post by jackh » Tue May 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Very nice...

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue May 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Nice looking 200E Charlie. IMO they are the best used sxs value on the market today. I have two in 20 gauge, one with the coin finish and the other blue. I had one opened to .00 and .03 and left the other IC/MOD. You probably will find them to be a little "whippy" at first due to the short bbls and light overall weight. I know I did.

I went into a panic when I heard SKB was discontinuing their sxs production and baught a 385. I never did like the gun. Unlike the 200E it was heavy, specially on the front end. I ended up selling it.

I bet you will like the gun and if not you will have no trouble selling it.

Charles

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue May 20, 2008 11:31 pm

Thanks. I put a couple rounds through it, I did better the second round. A little jumpy and likes to come up off the shoulder. I'm going to reload for lower psi and see how that goes. I like the gun and it has a quality feel. Putting a Japanese O/U on consignment in exchange for a Japanese S/S.... I can feel OK about the trade off! The 12 gauge Citori wasn't getting any time sitting around doing nothing. This will at least get some use plus can always take it along bird hunting.

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:06 am

I also have an Ithaka/SKB, but mine has the silver receiver and 3 barrel set. 20/28/410 all Skeet/Skeet
I love these guns. Truly the best value for the money in terms of quality. The locking mechanism is so solid and it shoots where you point. I have yet to take her hunting but I've shot around 5,000 rounds at skeet so far. She's a little light when I shoot her with 20s but when I switch to 28 or 410 I'm in heaven.

BlacknTan

Post by BlacknTan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:56 am

Copngratulations!

You are absolutely gonna' love that 200E! I've got a 280 in 20 ga. with 28" bbls, chokes opened to Skeet & LM, which I wanted for use as a birdgun. I find I need a little more barrel length for control, but the little gun is deadly on targets. I've been shooting it all year without so much as a hiccup... The Ithaca/SKB's are great little guns... Enjoy her.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:27 pm

i have 3 skb's 12,20 and 28. my 20 is 16 years old and thats what i shoot ouy in neb. 28 is used for quail and i don't really shoot the 12 except in big crp fields which i rarely hunt. great guns for the $