Best shotgun cleaning kit

phillipsgsp

Best shotgun cleaning kit

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:22 pm

I was cleaning my 20 gauge o/u last night and broke the ram rod. I am going to purchase a new kit, just wondering what people though of the bore snake and or any of the other tools for cleaning out there? what would you recomend to buy for a universal kit for 12/20 gauge guns?

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Best shotgun cleaning kit

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Get a Hoppes BoreSnake in each ga. Most convenient thing ever.

I'd also recommend buying a treated gun sock for each gun. Again, convenience.

Greg J.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Greg. A couple squirts of Rem Oil and a swipe or two with the bore snake should be all you need to do after most outings. If the gun gets really dirty, though, go with the solvent (I like Hoppes #9 or Gun Scrubber) on a patch until clean, followed by a swipe with Rem Oil. For that, I simply use the little $7 kit from Hoppes with the cleaning rod that comes in sections that you connect together.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:52 am

Thanks guys I have always wanted to try the bore snake and just never had a reason to buy one, now that my rod in the old kit is broke I think thats what I will get. Just wanted some feed back on it before I bought one.

Thanks Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:02 am

If you shoot a lot, you will notice black plastic build-up in the chokes. This could turn your skeet chokes into modified over time if you don't pay attention to it, and tough to clean with items like the bore snake or traditional soft bristle brush tips. I use the bore snake for the quick clean, but I also pay attention to those chokes, they take some extra care. Your choice of wads will play a factor if reloading, and Duster Wads will create less build-up. Duster has a new 7/8’s clear I want to try, but I’ve gone through plenty of 1.0 Green Dusters, and there is less build-up than say the ClayBuster Wads.

I use a 3/4" steel brush for 12 gauge chokes available at a plumbers supply store. A little spray like Rem Oil and a few quick passes with the steel brush will knock the crud right out of the chokes. Then I run the bore snake through the barrel. There is another tip called the Tornado Brush that will knock the crud out, but just as simple to do with the plumbers brush.
A good bird dog is always the right color

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 am

I am a strong advocate of the bore snake. I have an eleaborate cleaning kit but don't use 90% of the stuff.

I think one needs 1) a bore snake, 2) rod with wire brush, 3) bore solvent, 4) oil, and 5) a cloth rag and that is about it.

I spray a little bore solvent in the barrels and let it sit a minute, then do two passes with the bore snake. voila! I put a few drops of oil on the cleaning end of the bore snake. Then a couple of times in the year I will give the barrels a good scrubbing with the rod and brush.

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I use what Gar does but throw in Q-tips into that equation.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:20 pm

How long does a bore snake last?? Never used one, but like many, always wanted to.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:05 am

I don't know how long one will last for sure. I've never managed to wear one out. So, they'll last for years and years of normal use.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Thx Greg... I'll go and get one!!!

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:44 am

Ayres wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with Greg. A couple squirts of Rem Oil and a swipe or two with the bore snake should be all you need to do after most outings. If the gun gets really dirty, though, go with the solvent (I like Hoppes #9 or Gun Scrubber) on a patch until clean, followed by a swipe with Rem Oil. For that, I simply use the little $7 kit from Hoppes with the cleaning rod that comes in sections that you connect together.
exactly, before my boresnake it seems like I had this whole kits with little attachment pieces this and that for 50 buck, 80 bucks, now I have my 20 boresnake, some Hoppes #9 a cloth and some all purpose Rem oil spray. Those 4 things cost less than 30 dollars and even fit in my pocket for some field cleaning if necessary.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:40 pm

Who knows where to get one of these.......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvjHCCD ... 1&index=25

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

GSPVIZ...........
Here ya go...

http://www.otisgun.com/

Chip

crbrumbelow

Post by crbrumbelow » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 pm

The kit I use is really a piece of this and that. I use a home made solvent that gets powder and plastic fouling out like no other. To scrub the barrel I use a worn out brush of the appropriate guage wrapped in OOOO steel wool. Believe it or not it doesnt hurt the barrel it polishes it and make it harder for the fouling to stick and easier to remove what does. I have a three piece cleaning rod that is old as I am. I use toilet paper wadded up and placed in the barrel to remove excess solvent and residue and also to apply a light coat of an oil that I mix at home also. Its cheaper and quicker.

Oh yeah the steel wool trick came from when I was a firearms instructor. I learned it from an older fella who was also an instructor and all of the academy's remington 870's are cleaned this way and have thousands upon thousands of rounds fired through them every year and never a problem with the steel wool trick. All the barrels look like mirrors on the inside.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Just ordered one of the Otis kits. I will report back.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:30 pm

FYI I highly recommend the Otis kit. Just make sure to order extra patches since the kit I bought only came with 10.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 am

Patches?

To paraphrase an infamous line in a low-brow comedy movie, "Get a bore snake and you won't need no stinkin' patches!"

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:41 pm

I just run a couple patches through on a brush with a Hoppes rod when the bore gets wet to make sure it's dried out. Every few thousands rounds I take the same tools and scrub the bore and make sure the chokes aren't packed full of plastic.

~Michael