New Shotgun

GsPJustin

New Shotgun

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been away for a while with work and school.. But now it has slowed down and its time to play. Now that i've come of.. age I guess you could say :lol: I think I might be ready. For the last couple season I have been shooting my 12g Rem 870. I think im ready to upgrade a bit now. Ive got some spendable income and would like to spend it on a nice O/U or a Semi Auto for the new hunting season. I've shot my 870 at least once a month for the last 30 months. Obviously more during the hunting season.

I know there are some really nice guns out there. But im not looking for a show gun just yet. Id like a gun thats going to last, and serve me well. Its going to be a all around gun. I guess it will have some benefits since I have my 870/shovel/ore to do some of the grunt work for me. But id like to have something that's a little eye appealing to.

Id like to go 20 gauge i think. Ive shot both and dont have much preference. but they are lighter. I would be willing to try 16, but I am not even close to being able to load my own shells, and i would be worried about the popularity and availability of the shells.

Id like to keep it under or around $1200. I want a nice gun, but I wont be storing it in a glass case with red velvet. I have saw some good brownings for around 650-850 but i would like some opinions on what you all think.

I did see the other post with some great suggestions that I am looking into, but the OP I think was looking for something different than I. I need something thats going to take some abuse. I figured you all wouldn't mind talking about your favorites.. just one more time :P This wont be a gun i just take on trips or just out with certain friends. Its gonna be there through the blood and the mud and the muck.

gar-dog

Re: New Shotgun

Post by gar-dog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:18 pm

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

CDNN is a huge seller and has some bargains. Dowload their catalogue - there is a link on the site above. They have some Browning o/u's in 20 gauge right now, one for $1099 I think. I personally would avoid the Turkish or russian guns and stick with ones made in Italy, Spain, or Japan (as are the Brownings). In the other countries I suggested you avoid, some people have had good experiences, but plenty have had problems with trigger resets, firing pins, and ejectors.

As for o/u's under $1,000 - stick with Lanber or Verona if you can find one - but most of the ones you see are 12 gauge. Franchi makes a decent o/u that is often on sale at "bleep"'s for like $899 which is a good gun. Keep in mind that a light load generally patterns much better in a 12 than in a 20. You mention school so i assume you aren't an old-timer. An extra pound in a 12 gauge won't bother you.

If you go with a semi, you have a very nice budget. Check out the Beretta 391 series. I don't know anything about benelli's but they are highly thought of.

best of luck,
Gary

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks Gary,

The reason I go with a 20, is my current girl friend is really stoked on my dog training "skills" and wants to go hunting with me. I would hate to hand her my 870 12g and say ok have fun...

That's a nice website you mentioned there. I looked around it and saw some interesting things. There's a "bleep" not to far from where i will be next weekend. Ill stop in and take a look at the one you mentioned. There's also a place with some Lanbers not to far away. Ill go shoulder a few of those.

I guess I could just lower the shot, but i feel like I could explode a pheasant at 400 yards with the 12g :lol: , The weight doesn't hurt me at all. I would like some more finesse, though. I had a 1100 previously, but it was my uncles gun and I didn't want to beat it up so after a close call with it and the internals I gave it back. I liked it but im thinking something maybe a little nicer.

I like the o/u but the semi autos is fun. O/u would make me look like a veteran, but i dont one that will make my wallet look used if you know what I mean.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:27 pm

Be sure to actually download the catalogue from CDNN to see their firearms and prices. If your girlfriend is going to shoot, you may consider an autoloader because it will definitely be a softer shooter.

One thing to keep in mind re: o/u's, a 1 ounce load in a 12 gauge will kick less than a 1 ounce load in a 20 gauge because it is a heavier gun. A lightweight 20 gauge can kick the tar out of you. Fiocchi makes "trainer loads" for 20 gauge - 3/4 oz, 1135 feet per second that my kids started shooting. If she can handle the weight of a 12, frankly it would be softer on recoil.

The Remington 1100 is a fine gun. There is also a neat gun designed for smaller stature shooter called the Beretta 3901 Parallel Target RL. It has an adjustable stock and some features that make it great for women: http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotl ... target.cfm

If there is much of a size difference between you two, it is hard to get one gun, but it if is only occassional, i would get what is best for you and when she shoots try to get lighter loads. But a heavy game load in a 20 would probably be worse than a target load in a 12, which you could use for some of the upland birds.

I generally don't refer people to another forum from one, but you might want to check out http://www.shotgunworld.com - using the search feature you can find EVERYTHING you need to know about shotguns, just like you can with dogs here.
Cheers,
Gary

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:57 pm

I own numerous shotguns. If I where you I would buy a Beretta Urika 2 right now. Sportsmans Warehouse has them for sale for $950, plus you get $200 worth of beretta clothing for free. I shot this gun or a Benelli monty 20 99% of the time. If I could only own one I would get the Beretta.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:46 am

Gary,

Thanks for the advice. I understand where your coming from, and I did download the catalog.

There is some size difference, but i bet she could work through it. It will be an occasional thing. I really doubt she will get out more than a handful of times a year. Much less a hunting season.

I believe your right that the 12g will kick less because its heavier and less will gain less momentum. Seems like being 6'4" 280 can just handle the kick like a bike rather than a Harley. If you can understand the wacky metaphor.

In my opinion anyone who is in shape enough to chase a dog around during hunting season is in shape enough to carry the extra 1/2 pound or less from a 20g to a 12g. I don't know why I want a 20 to be honest... Maybe being on the gentleman sport side of hunting, I want to make it more challenging? Since I can't make the cover more challenging. That's not really even it I don't know why. Obviously the weight but like I said its the difference of carrying a water bottle for me and my dog instead of just my dog.

Maybe I need to rethink that aspect. Although I would like to give my girlfriend something she can carry, and I have a 12g already. hmmm........

lovesuglydogs

Post by lovesuglydogs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 am

I too, owned/own a BPS, Remington 870, 1100 & shot alot of game with them.

I acquired a Benelli Black Eagle recently.
One word=Amazing
You can spend more, but you will Not find a more durable, reliable & pleasant shooting shotgun. Period.

Very fast shooting, balanced & accurate.
Even shooting magnum loads, it has the least amount of recoil of any thing out there. I used to bruise my shoulder hunting/shooting 3' goose loads with my pump guns. No more.

I cant recommend one enough.
Its not as pretty as the sxs or O/U but its alot more versatile & you can use it for a club(I have), a paddle, & still have it fire & take down anything that flies or runs. Can be had for $1200-go to Gunsamerica. Buy from a Ship to an FFL for $25.

My uncle recommended it to me after a dove shoot in Argentina.
They shot thousands of rounds per day.. Literally
The Benelli takes all you can give it, and then some.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 pm

I've been shopping for an O/U for my wife, so I've been looking at a few in the price range you are talking about. I'd bought my wife a Franchi 720 last year, and that is a nice. lightweight, soft recoiling auto. My wife is left-eye dominant, so smart girl that she is she learned to shoot lefty. Shooting a right-handed auto lefty make working the safety and loading/unloading difficult. So, she wants an O/U with the safety on the tang. The only difficulty is that while most autos and pumps have zero cast to the stock, most double gun stocks are cast off for a right handed shooter, so odds are unless the gun gets fitted to her and with the proper cast she won't hit squat with it.

She doesn't care that it's fancy, just that it goes "bang" and doesn't weigh a ton.

I looked at a few, like a Browning Superlight Feather in 20 gauge - less than six pounds. I bet it's a fine gun for those who carry much, and shoot little. It is by no means a skeet gun, that would hurt after the first 50 rounds. Also, I love my wife but not enough to spend $1800 on a gun she won't care about that much - it's just a tool for her.

One inexpensive gun I looked at and liked was the Mossberg Silver Reserve - it comes with five choke tubes and a hard case and costs less than $600. I might get one for myself.

Don't be afraid of a sixteen - I have a bunch of 'em, and i only started reloading in recent years. D1ck's Sporting goods often has case quantities at 10% off - I buy mine in NH every fall so I save on sales tax too. I bought three cases of 16 gauge Remington's last year for about $38 per case. I can't reload 'em that cheap. I have to advise caution though, once you start using a 16 you'll be tempted to forsake all other gauges in favor of that sweet sixteen...

whitedogone

Post by whitedogone » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:47 am

It's really a personal choice. It sounds to me like you really want an O/U. If you plan on shooting a lot of targets and saving hulls for reloading they are very nice. If I only had one "nice" gun, it would be a 12. They are much more versatile. The 20 gauge o/u's can have a substantial amount of kick when shooting targets. On the same note, the 20's are much better for carrying in the field all day. If I was in your shoes. I would be thinking along these lines. TWO guns. An O/U in 12 and a 20 gauge auto. The 20 gauge auto would be softer shooting and slightly lighter in case the GF/Wife wants to shoot it. Ones to consider would be the Beretta 391, urika, 3901. Or the Benelli Monefutro. My Dad has one of these and it is the sweetest shooting gun I think I have ever shot. As for an O/U, go with either a Browning or Beretta and you will be a happy camper for the rest of your life. It's really a personal choice between the two "B" guns. Some guy like Brownings...others like the Beretta's. Find the one that fits you better. Personally I like the Beretta's. They are much less bulky. To me the Brownings are "clubby". But the Brownings are a softer shooting gun than the Beretta. WDO
Last edited by whitedogone on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 28g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 20g 28"
Browning BPS Synthetic 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS 12g 3" 22" cant. fully rifled

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:39 am

NJGSP:
Just an fyi, Beretta White Onyx o/u field comes in a specific lefty model.
Gary

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Hey Justin, how are ya? I lugged around an old 1100 as a kid then picked up a side by side 20, then a 835 ultimag Mossy pump then went to an O/U. Personally, you can't go wrong with a Ruger Red label O/U. I've aquired a few shotguns over the years and last year I re-discovered my 1187.

There are a lot of fine shotguns within your budget range. The folks here listed some good examples. Do a little research and go to a gun store and start checking some out. Sometimes a gun may not seem to "feel right" to you. You know, the way it swings, the weight of the nose, or the way it feels at your shoulder.

Take your time and check out as many as you can. :)

How's the pup doing? .........................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Safety - It stands with the hunter, can't be replaced by a machine.

Having said that, I really appreciate hunting with break-open guns. They can be immediately made safe, and kept that way until a point happens. Makes things more comfortable.

I am cautious about those I take hunting with my brittany. She is almost like a child to me. I've taken a nephew hunting and maintained great control by having him keep the gun broken open and no shells in the chambers. The point happens, the shells are loaded, the flush is made and the gun is immediately broken open again.

Yes, he would have probably handled an auto or pump well but the break-action double just provides an added measure of safety when teaching someone with little or no experience.

The Ruger Red Labels are excellent, tough shotguns. I have one that I like...except for the barrels being the wrong orientation. If we were supposed to shoot Over-Unders, our eyes would be on top of each other.

I've had excellent luck with the CZ line of side by sides. I have .410, 28 and 20s. I'd like a Merkel or AYA but the CZs have worked well and continue to do so.

Good luck with the GF.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:07 am

Buford Boone wrote:The Ruger Red Labels are excellent, tough shotguns. I have one that I like...except for the barrels being the wrong orientation. If we were supposed to shoot Over-Unders, our eyes would be on top of each other.
I've heard that quip before. On the odd chance that you're serious, I will point out something.

Trap, skeet, sporting clays, bunker, intl skeet...whenever it comes down to hard numbers and cash versus tradition and beauty, there are absolutely zero SxS's in the hands of anyone competitive. It just doesn't happen and it just doesn't happen for a reason.

I, personally, love the looks, feel and tradition of a SxS and wouldn't hesitate to have one for hunting. When the entry fee goes down, though, I'll be reaching for something with a single sight plane.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:37 pm

I was raised on a 20 ga. and have 6 of them ranging from a Beretta Silver Pigeon to a Charles Daly semi-auto synthetic. My two favorites are the Franchi Veloce O/U and the Beretta 391 Urika semi-auto. If I hunted waterfowl or turkey more than I do, I would own a 12 ga also. But for the amount I do, buying a 12 ga is not rational. For every other type of wing-shooting, the 20 is plenty of medicine.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Hey Marker,

I've been good but busy. How about yourself?

I agree with you, last time I got a shotgun it was all about "Whats the cheapest you got?" now that I have the time, money and no real need to buy a shot gun I am going to do it the right way. Including going to a store and "trying on" a few. There are a lot of good suggestions, and that is exactly what I was looking for. Something to give me a head start before I commit and jump in.

The pup is doing good, should have been done with his SH and onto MH but that's not what my life is dictating to me right now :lol:, so instead he will be finishing SH up soon and THEN On we go!

The last time I was around you just stumbled across another pup.. Am I right?

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Of course you are correct, Greg. My comment is half in jest and half to come up with a reason (any reason) why I like SxS guns. Can't explain it other than I like them. Now if someone can give me a good quip as to why I like double triggers, I'd be glad to have it.

When the money is down you see a lot more than a single sight plane. You see adjustable stocks, chokes in more increments than could possibly be beneficial, etc.

Shoot what you enjoy and enjoy what you shoot.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Buford Boone wrote:Now if someone can give me a good quip as to why I like double triggers, I'd be glad to have it.
Because it's a built-in reason for failing to get off a second shot, as in: "I forgot to move my finger to the second trigger.

Seriously though - the only reason I like double triggers is the instant barrel selection, and the freedom they give to change my mind a nanosecond before I shoot. That said, I prefer a single trigger, so I have one less thing to screw up. Also, there is little danger of touching off both barrels at the same time with a single trigger. Depending on the load, that can really hurt you.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:34 pm

It depends upon what use you are to make of the gun. For shooting clays I strongly prefer an OU, for upland hunting I prefer a semiautomatic. I used to shoot a 12 ga. ,first an 870 than an 1100 and eventually a Browning OU. I switched to a 20 ga. Benelli Montefeltro about five years back and wouldn't think of shooting anything else in the field now. It's lighweight, yet the recoil is not noticeable while hunting. With a full compliment of chokes you can shoot any upland bird or waterfowl.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 am

Buford Boone wrote:Of course you are correct, Greg. My comment is half in jest and half to come up with a reason (any reason) why I like SxS guns. Can't explain it other than I like them. Now if someone can give me a good quip as to why I like double triggers, I'd be glad to have it.

When the money is down you see a lot more than a single sight plane. You see adjustable stocks, chokes in more increments than could possibly be beneficial, etc.

Shoot what you enjoy and enjoy what you shoot.
I love the SxS's as well. Nothing like the feel and looks of one.

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Since you won't be needing a 3.5 go with the Benelli M2. I have the M1 and love it. I took the wife in a while back to shoulder many guns and she picked the M2. It shoulder as well as my M1. I've shot the piss out of my M1, doves, quail, phesants, turkeys and sporting clays. I love it.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:11 am

I'd try to shoot one of the 20's you are looking at if you are serious about buying one. A healthy percentage of hunters don't shoot light, short guns very well. If you are an upland hunter, a 12 ga Montefeltro on the used rack is affordable, light and easy shooting, they're not too great if you use them with magnum shells though. I think the 391 Beretta or Monte are the best value used and prefer the Monte for the ease of maintenance.

When it comes to O/U's I see too many guys going for short barrells and standard guns they just don't shoot very well. My personal experience and opinion is that the Sporting Clays O/U's with at least 28" bbls (30's are better) are generally the easiest to hit with and stilll comfy to carry with these new lightweight bbls that Browning and Beretta sell. You see some real bargains on used Browning clays guns and if you watch, you can buy a Beretta clays O/U for under $1500. The 20 ga clays guns with at least 28" bbls are sweet shooting and easy to hit with, light to carry. That's why they are hard to come by used but worth it if you do. Standard grade O/U's are clubby and heavy in the forend, IMO.

Keep in mind, that 26" O/U has the same sight radius as a 23" repeater and handles quick and smooth in the store . . . that's what sells so many of em. They also make you look like a fool in the field...at least most folks. I wish I had a dollar for every guy who bought a short O/U and retired it to the closet immediately after trying to shoot it.

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:27 pm

This is obviously very subjective, but I've shot lots of guns and I always go back to my 40 year old Browning A5 20 gauge. It feels so smooth and easy to shoot to me for whatever reason. Some people hate the hump, but I'd look/ shoot one before you decide. It's a classic as far as I'm concerned, and I can't find a gun I can hit more birds with than the old A5. I have the 16 and 12 as well. No problem finding shells for the 16 around here.

I have a Gold hunter in 12 too that I shoot ducks with, but its pretty heavy and lunky for walking.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:49 pm

I have shot quite a few shotguns. Nothing to expensive or special. Just different barrels, gauges, weights. Just as the extra weight from the 12g doesn't bother me the kick from the 20g doesn't. I shot a 20 in a clay competition once and did well. Shot 95% without ever shooting the gun before.
I just want something that's a bit lighted for the long walks in the field. I went to a couple stores and shouldered a few guns. Nothing really struck me. Going to keep looking see what I can find up north when I head there in a few weeks.

Rob

Post by Rob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 am

+1 for the Urika 2.

I have one in 12 GA, synthetic stock, 28" for my "all-around" gun. I think I paid around $800 for it in the spring. It is an incredibly soft shooter and as reliable as the sunrise. I have put 250+ rounds through it in a day with no problems and no ice on the shoulder. I find it equally capable in the field and in the blind, and I don't see a need for 3 1/2" shells.

This was my first field gun in semi-auto that I carry more often than not. I too have always been a SXS guy. But for durability, ease of shooting (particularly for someone who is recoil sensitive), and bang-for-your-buck (pun intended), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I shot a couple of different Benelli models, the old standby 1100, and a couple of Berettas before deciding on this one. They were all nice guns, but this one suited my tastes best. Picking a gun is very much a personal preference thing in my mind. Good luck with your search.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:53 pm

So Justin, what shotgun did you get? Yes, the pup is now 2.5 yrs old; seems like just yesterday he was just big ears and feet. You know I'm a sucker for those solid liver GSPs :)

It's been a while since I was on the shorthair site too. Can't pm you with a dog pic.... whats up with that?.................markerdown
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.