o/u shooters..... ejectors or extractors?

Ejectors or Extractors?

Ejectors
79%
Extractors
21%

Total votes: 28

12 Volt Man

o/u shooters..... ejectors or extractors?

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:32 pm

What do you like ejectors or extractors?

I am still planning my o/u purchase some time before the hunting seasons get going.

Right now I am leaning towards extractors, because i think it would be easier to just grab the spent shells and throw them in my pocket. It seems to me that ejectors would throw the spent shells out and one might not be so inclined to pick them up.

Opinions???

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:36 pm

Good point. I think the only difference would be speed. If you need a fast gun I would go with the ejectors. If not I wouldnt spend the extra money.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:49 am

I bought an O/U last year & sold myself on getting extractors. Ended up getting a gun with ejectors & I am glad I did.

After awhile you will get to where you can catch the ejected hulls, which makes reloading a breeze. I tilt my gun a little forward so the shells are kicked straight up. On single shots it's easy to catch the one hull put it in my vest pocket while pulling out a new shell & loading. On doubles catching both is not always possible, but if I miss its right in front of me.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:23 pm

12VM
I have ejectors on my Browning and my C. Daly. I shoot alot of skeet and reload even more so I keep all the hulls. I have gotten into a habit of breaking the gun open with my left hand and my right over the ejectors to stop from ejecting .
I like the ejectors when hunting because it makes for a fast reload when I miss those "bleep" doves !
Yes I do miss on occasion :D

I always clean the area I have been hunting when I leave
My O/U is far easier to find than my auto because it doesn't throw them as far.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 pm

How far does ur auto throw them? Mine throws them about 2 feet and my pump is a little farther.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:11 pm

My 1187 really seems to throw them out there. I would guess 3-5 foot. If I only make one shoot it is normally real easy to find the hull. However when I take 2-3 shots at a moving target it can be diffuclt to find them all.

WHich is one of the main reason I switched to an O/U. It drove me crazy wasting time looking for hulls. When people are nice enough to let me hunt their land, I want to leave it in better shape then I found it. Not only do I want to pick up all my hulls, but I also pick all hulls I come across.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:18 pm

Ya my 1100 isnt bad but i know what u r saying with finding hulls mine aint that bad they are bright red and r easy to pick up.

Usually when u get good enough u only need to shoot once shooting twice means u slipping. lol jst joking. multipal birds i know.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:24 pm

12 I have a red label 20 even with the ejectors you can still open the gun and cover the shells with the same hand as your trigger finger and break the action fully and eject them into your hand.

the ejectors are nice if your hunting and need to make a fast reload they will launch only a few feet behind and to the side of you. eisily recoverable unless they land in some brush that can make them a bit harder to find . also if coop and cowboy are on a retrieve you can take that moment to pick up spent hulls :wink:

omega58

Post by omega58 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:24 pm

I would also vote for ejectors. . .like others have said, you learn really fast on how to cover up and catch. I have had my Verona for a few weeks and have gotten then hang of it pretty quick shooting skeet. If I miss one I usually pick up about 3 more while doing so. :D

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:38 am

I also vote for the ejectors alot easier in the heat of the moment to reload and then pick up your shells later! Omega I also have a verona I love mine how are you liking yours?

omega58

Post by omega58 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:41 pm

Katies Dad wrote:I also vote for the ejectors alot easier in the heat of the moment to reload and then pick up your shells later! Omega I also have a verona I love mine how are you liking yours?
I love my 503 as well. . .it shoulders well for me being a lefty and I love the look of the oil finish. . .I went ahead and ordered some trulock extended precision hunter chokes and they are great. I started shooting skeet and my gun breaks open great now. I have a couple 100 rounds through it already. . . I'll still use the Mossberg for waterfowl or nasty days.

Flyingm

Post by Flyingm » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:08 pm

I prefer ejectors. I have two O/U's and one has ejectors and the other extractors. I love the ejectors. It is not too difficult to catch the spent rounds with a little practice.

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:11 pm

I also like ejectors - as i break the gun down the shells eject into my right hand and i put them in my vest.

TAK

Re: o/u shooters..... ejectors or extractors?

Post by TAK » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:16 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:What do you like ejectors or extractors?

I am still planning my o/u purchase some time before the hunting seasons get going.

Right now I am leaning towards extractors, because i think it would be easier to just grab the spent shells and throw them in my pocket. It seems to me that ejectors would throw the spent shells out and one might not be so inclined to pick them up.

Opinions???
I like the extractors for the NSTRA game. I never miss so I don't have to worry about reloading much. For hunting I would by far take the ejectors, then again I most times hunt with the Berreta!
Get the Ejecters in the gun. big reason if you resale the gun most people will want it.
Ahh with your money just get both guns with each feature!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:49 pm

I have both types of guns, and for hunting, the extractors are a pain. In fact, for just about anything they are a pain.

If you want to recover the shells for reloading, you just put your hand over them so they do not throw clear of the gun. It becomes a habit you don't even think about.

But in hunting, if you need to reload quickly, extractors are slow and make you take your eye off the game. Sometimes they leave the shells wedged into the chamber a little, and you have to look down to figure out what is going on and to pick them out.

I bought one 28 ga. extractor gun years ago, and would get rid of it in favor of ejectors if I it were not such a nice gun otherwise.