Remington 1100 problem

Muskmelon

Remington 1100 problem

Post by Muskmelon » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:55 am

Just picked up a used 1100 and it will fire and eject a shell properly but the blot locks in the rear position after the shell is ejected and the next shell will not cycle into the barrel. I have to manually depress the button at the bottom to move the next shell into the barrel. I have completely disassembled the gun and cleaned everything. All springs seem to be ok. What could be catching causing the bolt to lock in the rear position?

pear

Re: Remington 1100 problem

Post by pear » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Is this by any chance a Rermington 1100 Mag.? They are famous for this with non Mag. shells. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:15 pm

This is a 2-3/4" standard 12. A buddy suggested that it may have something to do with the magazine tube not recognizing that another shell has moved to the chamber (like the last shot where the bolt stays open) but the next shell does indeed advance into the receiver.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Check the rings, make sure they are not on backwards.

Charlie
A good bird dog is always the right color

Loke

Post by Loke » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Did you clean out the magazine tube, spring, and follower as well?
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:33 pm

I cleaned the magazine tube and replaced the spring. Shells eject perfectly the next shell enters the receiver and simply sits there until I press the button to load it into the chamber. The following shell appears to not be hitting the little piece on the trigger mechanism properly to disengage the lifter and bolt. The bolt remains open after every shot.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:16 pm

I cleaned the magazine tube and replaced the spring.
Are you referring to hammer spring inside the stock?

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:38 pm

No the spring inside the magazine. Spring inside the stock is strong.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:22 pm

I had a similar problem once but the opposite. My 1100 would fire but would not eject the shell. I had to pull the handle back to load the next shell. I didn’t shoot off many like that, but mentioned it to a friend who happened to be around at the time and new exactly what the problem was in 2 seconds. He said you got the rings on backwards. Sure enough, when I check they were indeed on backwards and the problem was solved!

I am suspecting there is something in that area maybe causing your problem...double check those rings and make sure the gas seal is in good shape. Good luck with this and hopefully you'll get it figured out before a trip to the Smith. They are good guns and even a used one should give you many years of service.

I will mention this to my friend about your problem (locking back and not feeding the next shell) and see if he has an answer.
He is pretty good when it comes to the 1100. I should see him bird hunting this Sat and I will mention your problem with the gun.

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. Pulled my 1100 20 gauge apart and looked at parts side by side and discovered that my carrier latch was bent. made it match the 20 and I now have a semi auto again. Shot a pheasant with it yesterday. Gun cycled, but I didn't need the next shot.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:31 pm

Nice! Carrier latch was in the back of mind as well but failed to mention. Which way was the latch bent? Too far into the receiver? I was actually thinking no carrier latch at all like it fell out then sold as a used gun...but said to myself nahhhh, that would be too stupid, trigger wouldn't even set in correct without it.

I have get out my 20 and 28 1100's and bang off a few rounds. I have been shooting my O/U
a bit and I hate to be switching guns...but the 1100's are too sweet not to shoot targets with!

billy71290

Post by billy71290 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:13 pm

Hey claybuster, my 1100 has the same problem as yours did. I shoot once, but the shell won't eject. i have to manually pull open the bolt and eject it, then load the next shell. What "rings" do you mean when you said they were on backwards?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:23 am

The three rings on the magazine tube. Two metal and one rubber.

Here is a document that has some instructions: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/images/ ... sembly.pdf .

Here is a video that Claybuster did that might help as well: http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 86&t=15566 .

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Yes, the rings on the mag tube. Take the wood off, then the barrel, then the rings are accessible. They go back on after a cleaning, I believe beveled side down. I must have had one or the other flipped over the wrong way and then the gun won't cycle.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:03 am

Three rings: 2 metal, one rubber.

From the inertia weight around the magazine tube to the front, they go on in this order:

1. Flat based ring. The flat goes on the front of the inertia weight.
2. Beveled ring. It goes on such that the bevel mates with the front of the first ring.
3. Rubber ring goes in the groove on the magazine tube.

"Flat on flat, bevel in the bevel, ring in the groove". My dad made me memorize that when I was about 10 years old and it's served me well for 37 years of shooting 1100's.