What do i absolutely need in a bird gun?

subatomicstang

What do i absolutely need in a bird gun?

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:39 am

Want to buy really my first shotgun for bird hunting leaning more toward 12ga so its more versatile for bigger game also. What do i need to look for for a beginner? Barrel length and all if yaw can help me i thank you! i dont want to go broke buying one but i dont want a piece either. looks dont matter to me function does! I mean i read so much and more opinions and fights about 20 ga this 12 ga that pattern this pattern that so just put it out there for me the necessities i guess. Whatever gun i get i will get plenty of practice with it.

Thanks all !
Randy B

romeo212000

Re: What do i absolutely need in a bird gun?

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:34 am

For your first and only gun a 12 gauge is a good choice because you can hunt anything with wings with it and adjust your load accordingly. You have the size for bigger birds like Ducks and Geese and even turkeys, but you can load down for small animals like dove and quail. I recommend a 28" barrel because it will give you a steadier swing because of the added weight to the fore end. Despite what some may tell you a 28" barrel does not give you any more or less distance on your shot than a 26" barrel. For a good all around gun I would highly recommend you look at a Remington 870 Express. It is not the prettiest gun alive but will out last you and I both, is reliable as the day is long, parts for it are everywhere, and it will do anything you ask it to.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

romeo212000 wrote:For your first and only gun a 12 gauge is a good choice because you can hunt anything with wings with it and adjust your load accordingly. You have the size for bigger birds like Ducks and Geese and even turkeys, but you can load down for small animals like dove and quail. I recommend a 28" barrel because it will give you a steadier swing because of the added weight to the fore end. Despite what some may tell you a 28" barrel does not give you any more or less distance on your shot than a 26" barrel. For a good all around gun I would highly recommend you look at a Remington 870 Express. It is not the prettiest gun alive but will out last you and I both, is reliable as the day is long, parts for it are everywhere, and it will do anything you ask it to.
Ditto

What is your price range?
For a pump, I would definitely recommend a Remington 870
For a semi-auto, there are a lot of good choices.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:48 pm

I saw a nice quote one time where someone asked a noted sage how much further a 30" barrel would kill a duck than a 26" barrel. He said "'bout four inches". Loved the humor.

Can't go wrong with a clean used 870.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:14 pm

For a first gun I like the idea of starting with a pump like the super reliable Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. It's like learning how to drive in a car with a stick shift. For the rest of your life you'll know how to drive a stick and you can handle anything else that comes along.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:46 pm

And the 870 express will only run you about $350. There is a reason that it is the second most shootable shotgun today.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Get screw in chokes too, well worth any small amount of extra change if you have one gun to do it all.
Colin

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Don't forget to get a good cleaning kit that has the right size tools and a good case to put them in.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:49 pm

One that points birds well ! :lol: :lol:

Pun intended. You absolutely need a gun that fits you well. In case you don't know, a shooter doesn't aim a shotgun. The shotgun has to fit you well so that with practice it will naturally point to where you are looking with both eyes open.

If your dominant hand is different than your dominant eye, you have a problem and you might want to learn to shoot off of your weak shoulder. This condition might impact which gun you purchase. For example, if you are right handed but your left eye is dominant you'd proabably be better off learning to shoot left handed. In that case which side the safety is on or whether it can be switched from right handed to left handed will make a difference. Also if you shoot left handed most right handed guns will eject the spent shell across your face which can be undesirable.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 pm

im comfortable shooting with both eyes right handed. Should i go with a pump or semi auto? how dificult is it to get a second shot off without losing aim with a pump? i was looking at the mossberg 935 i saw sythetic stock for 449 and camo for 549. put personally i am ok with pump if thats suffice. cheaper the better as long as its reliable.
Randy B

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=84845
this the gun you guys are talking about right ?
Randy B

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Yes it is. As far as auto or pump is a matter of budget or preference. A pump will be less likely to jam and will be more able to take a beating. Auto's are nice for obvious reasons. The important thing is to get a gun that fits you. Which is hard to tell if your not familiar with how a shotgun should fit in the first place. The mossberg you were looking at would be fine though I would recommend looking at the 930 rather than 935 as it will be cheaper because it accepts up to 3" shells rather than 3 1/2", which are really unecessary. You can kill anything with a 3" shell that you can with a 3 1/2" shell. Remember more lead and faster doesnt always mean better. Pattern is what makes the difference. Not amount of lead slung.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:57 pm

subatomicstang wrote:http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=84845
this the gun you guys are talking about right ?
That one is in synthetic. They also come in wood. My dad just bought an 870 that was $279.99 on sale and then there was a $30 rebate so net price was $249.99. He bought it somewhere in Houston - Gander Mountain maybe?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 pm

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:51 pm

Personally, I like pumps over autos and I have never had a problem losing the bird because I had to load the second shell. But, as so many have already said, get one that fits you.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:53 am

An auto is great when it works. It sucks when it doesn't. I've shot a bunch through an auto, but I'm a pretty fair 1100 mechanic.

For a first gun, to get a handle on everything, you can't go wrong with an 870. One thing to think about is that some synthetic stocks cannot be cut off to fit you should you need to.

Once you practice a bit with the pump, it's natural and no problem losing the target. One thing you'll have to learn about is not "short shucking".

For a cleaning kit, I'd recommend a Bore Snake. Having shot a 5 gal bucket of shells a week for several year, I've done a lot of cleaning. The bore snake is the easiest that I've found.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:21 pm

BigShooter wrote:One that points birds well ! :lol: :lol:

Pun intended. You absolutely need a gun that fits you well. In case you don't know, a shooter doesn't aim a shotgun. The shotgun has to fit you well so that with practice it will naturally point to where you are looking with both eyes open.

If your dominant hand is different than your dominant eye, you have a problem and you might want to learn to shoot off of your weak shoulder. This condition might impact which gun you purchase. For example, if you are right handed but your left eye is dominant you'd proabably be better off learning to shoot left handed. In that case which side the safety is on or whether it can be switched from right handed to left handed will make a difference. Also if you shoot left handed most right handed guns will eject the spent shell across your face which can be undesirable.

Mark
Very good point.... :). It makes no difference what type of action, length of barrel, or gauge, if the gun doesn't fit properly there is very little chance of consistantly hitting your target. Probably the most overlooked factor when purchasing a shotgun.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 am

What do i absolutely need in a bird gun? - A couple more to keep the first one company! :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist.

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:An auto is great when it works. It sucks when it doesn't. I've shot a bunch through an auto, but I'm a pretty fair 1100 mechanic.

For a first gun, to get a handle on everything, you can't go wrong with an 870. One thing to think about is that some synthetic stocks cannot be cut off to fit you should you need to.

Once you practice a bit with the pump, it's natural and no problem losing the target. One thing you'll have to learn about is not "short shucking".

For a cleaning kit, I'd recommend a Bore Snake. Having shot a 5 gal bucket of shells a week for several year, I've done a lot of cleaning. The bore snake is the easiest that I've found.
Good advice there. I see used 870 express' on the shelf for 150 to 175 all of the time. Can't beat em for the price.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 am

Agreed, the Remington 870 has a "dime a dozen" price, but its qualities and durability would have put it at the top if there weren't so many fancy shotguns out there :mrgreen:

What works for me? Winchester 1200 pump. I like the safety at the front of the trigger, makes for a more fluid safety to trigger move for me.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:16 am

Well it looks like mrs santa is gonna buy me a shotgun for christmas!! YAY and it looks like its gonna be a Mossberg 835 Camo comes with a 28 iunch barrel, and a 24 i think. The shorter barrel has a turkey choke in it! I held the gun vs the 870, and i liked the site on it alot better and the fact that i have 2 barrels and this will shoot up to a 3.5 inch shell if one day i feel like i need it. 299.00 at "bleep".

-Randy B
Randy B

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Santy already made a stop at my house….

I found a 1936 Ithaca NID Grade 2 20 gauge under the tree.

John L.

:D :D :D
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Santy is going to be making a stop at my house with a Beretta 391. I am rather excited. Too bad santa doesn't pay for it when you grow up anymore.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 pm

HAHA i heard that my santa is paying for half of it at least the other half my dads pitching in! So im good!

-Randy
Randy B