Good double barrel around $500

nowicki2005

Good double barrel around $500

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Is it even possible for me to get a good o/u in the $500 range? Ideally I would like a Benelli or a Citori but thats not going to be in the budget for awhile.

BirdieBoiler

Re: Good double barrel around $500

Post by BirdieBoiler » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 pm

I'm interested to see the responses...I was about to ask the same question!

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:37 pm

You won't find what I would call a good double for $500. Not even a used one. For that price range, I'd be looking for a good used auto or pump. Good used doubles seem to start at about $1,000. If you shop hard maybe $750 for a decent Citori. You might get lucky and find someone that is selling a used gun and does not know what they have, but you will have to shop hard!

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 am

$500 will be tough to get a good double. If you could stretch your budget a couple hundred bucks I'd say take a hard look at a CZ Canvasback, a no frills gun but well built with nice lines. I bought a 20 ga with 28 inch barrels a couple years ago to use as my grouse gun. I like the darn thing so much that it has became my primary gun for pheasants, sharpies, and grouse. I take it an leave my ruger and berretta at home.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:34 am

Depends on your definition of good. I bought a Stevens SXS for $350. No cracks or bad damage. A few scratches but I'm going to use not look at it so I'm sure I will add more. Receiver and everything is in excellent shape, and since it is such a popular gun I can buy any part I will ever need for it. Won't be the last shotgun I own, but makes a great gun for training as I'm not worried about a scratch bc I laid it down on the ground. I shoot it pretty well, still learning this double trigger thing its a change for me. I also liked the fact that since I didn't shoot doubles before that I wouldn't have a bunch of money in one if I ended up not shooting it well.

So can you get a good gun for that price yes. If you are only going to buy one and can stretch a few more dollars next year I wait and get a CZ, but if you want something now to shoot and then in a year or 2 buy a nicer one there are some options out there. My advice would to be to buy one of the American made guns that are older as parts are available if something breaks.

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:58 am

I'm not sure of the drop at heel, drop at comb or length of pull but If it does have modern dimensions it is a good deal.

From http://www.shotgunworld.com:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=163361
This is a 1926 Ithaca NID in 12 g. with 28 bbls. and choked M/F.
This gun is in excellent condition with about 50% case colors remaining. The blueing is very good and overall this gun is a fine double ready to hunt with. The stock has a recoil pad that was added and done professionally. This is a nice Field Grade. $550.00 shipped. Email me at epirie@tops-tele.com for pictures if interested.
John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:44 am

There are two - maybe three - brands under $1,000 that I would own:
1) Verona
2) Lanber
3) Franchi Diamond

I have several Lanber o/u's - they are a very popular gun in the UK and australia, and they are made in Spain. They retail for over $1,000 there, but sell excess inventory in batches in the US much cheaper. I picked mine up for $600 and have seen then used for $500. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =118312279

Lanbers have 5 year warranties and all work in the US is handled by Bachelder's in Grand Rapids, MI - just 40 minutes from you. You could call Bachelder's and ask their opinions on them. They have some I am sure you could look at.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:25 am

i got a new in the box weatherby orion (field grade) for just under $900 on one of the internet auction sites. couldnt be happier with it. i agree, you might need to extend your budget just a little.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:21 am

Sure you can. But here are the "rules"

1. You can't be in a hurry
2. You must do your research in advance, and know what makes and models you'll accept.
3. If the gun is from a major manufacturer, it probably won't have choke tubes.
4. If it's from one of the "lesser" makers, it might have tubes but the thing will probably have the handling characteristics of a 4 x 6 piece of lumber.
5. Buying online and having the gun shipped to you, via a FFL dealer, is going to be your best bet for getting a good deal. There is some added risk and hastle here.

You can routinely find Ithaca/SKB 500s for around $500. I bought one at Gander Mountain a few years back from their used rack for $385. No tubes, not supposed to shoot steel through it and not the lightest model out there, but the meat of the gun is as good as any field level Beretta or Browning out there.

Keep your eyes open for a Franchi Falconet; built from the late 60s to early 80s. Very light guns, as they are built on a aluminium receiver. Bought one this spring off of one of the auction sites for $400, in 97% condition. No tubes, and can't shoot steel. Poor man's Beretta Ultralight.

There are some steals out there if you keep your eyes open and act fast. Bought a Beretta BL-4 12 gauge 2 barrel set this spring for $575 and a Bl-3 20 gauge for $675 last year. Both had been posted a couple of times on the auction sites with no bidders before I bought them. Great wood, hand engraved and checkered.

All of these guns I bought were built in the late '60s to mid '70s. That scares some people away, but if you understand what models to look for, you can find guns that are a better value than many of the new guns sold today.

FWIW,
Dave

Rodger

Post by Rodger » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Is it even possible for me to get a good o/u in the $500 range? Ideally I would like a Benelli or a Citori but thats not going to be in the budget for awhile.
Two weeks ago purchased a new Yildiz (turkish) Elegant A4 20ga SxS, Alum receiver, Ejectors, Selective barrels, 5- chokes and really nice Turkish Walnut stocks at Academy in Arlinton, TX. Paid $489 for it (OU is $399) . Warranty service is by Briley in Houston.

This is a very nice, light gun. I shot skeet with it just before taking it last weekend to hunt pheasant. It hits where you aim and the 3in 20ga #5 drops pheasant like a bad habbit.

Here is a pic of their OU. The sxs are new and there are few pics availablel of them, but you might search around. I know Academy is in Tenn, but not sure about further North.

Bottom line is I love these Yildiz guns. I have 4 of them. A 12 & 20 OU and 20 and .410 SxS. I think they are the best value going.

Here's a forum on them if interested..

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=104

Good luck
Rodger

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:20 pm

I think you need to consider what you're doing with the gun. Is it a weekend shooter down at the skeet field or are you hunting maybe a dozen times a year? No, I don't think you can find a quality target gun around $500. 1200 yes, but not 500. You can find a 'good' enough double barrel to get through some occasional hunting for $500 but I wouldn't recommend to ever dry fire the gun, not even 1 in a 1000, or your asking for trouble. Firing pins break easy on the cheaper guns, and that is a fact.
A good bird dog is always the right color

omega58

Post by omega58 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:29 pm

I have 4 Verona o/us (12/20/2 28s) and 1 Lanber 2087. . .all are great guns. You are more than welcome to come over and take a look at them or meet somewhere to shoot them, or set up a little hunt at a preserve once the storms stop!! :lol:

Gander Mountain in Grandville has a Verona 501 right now for $529. They might go down on it for you, doesn't have the factory pad on it, just some plastic.

The Veronas are now selling as the Savage Milano for over $1000. . .they are made by I. Rizzini (FAIR) and the metals used and workmanship from that plant is just as good as the other Italians. The website for FAIR is www.fair.it

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:42 pm

omega58 wrote: Gander Mountain in Grandville has a Verona 501 right now for $529. They might go down on it for you, doesn't have the factory pad on it, just some plastic.
Go buy that gun!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 pm

omega58 wrote:I have 4 Verona o/us (12/20/2 28s) and 1 Lanber 2087. . .all are great guns. You are more than welcome to come over and take a look at them or meet somewhere to shoot them, or set up a little hunt at a preserve once the storms stop!! :lol:

Gander Mountain in Grandville has a Verona 501 right now for $529. They might go down on it for you, doesn't have the factory pad on it, just some plastic.

The Veronas are now selling as the Savage Milano for over $1000. . .they are made by I. Rizzini (FAIR) and the metals used and workmanship from that plant is just as good as the other Italians. The website for FAIR is http://www.fair.it
I've never heard a bad thing about the Verona guns, in fact most people who have them love them. Pretty much the same thing for the Yildiz, their owners get a little fanatical! :roll:
I have a Lanber with fixed chokes that I bought 5yrs ago for $400 bucks.
After 1,000's of rounds, haven't had a lick of trouble with it in the field or the range and I've even managd to shoot a few 25'ves with it. 8)
There are always those who pooh-pooh $500 dollar guns but few of them actually own one. :twisted:
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Dennmor wrote: There are always those who pooh-pooh $500 dollar guns but few of them actually own one. :twisted:
dennmor
Frankly, there are reasons for that with a lot of cheap double guns. But in the case of Lanbers and Veronas in particular, that is just not the case.
Cheers,
G

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 pm

Man here is a deal. Lanber 12 ga field model - case colored receiver for $550! I have four Lanber o/u's and they are great. If the original poster didn't buy that verona he should be all over this.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=166480

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

The Remington Spartans are made by Baikal and are built well. I picked up a used Sporting model this fall for $350. The field model new is around $550 I think. There's also the Stoeger Condor, Benelli 3000 (same gun as the Stoeger but prettier) and a few others that were mentioned earlier in other posts.

I'd either get a used gun, or save up a while longer and get a CZ or one of the other ones mentioned. I do like the look of the CZ Woodcock model.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 pm

I also would say that the Remington Sparton is a great value for your money.
I bought a SP 220 20 gauge side by side for $332.00 and have shot a lot of rounds out of it without a hitch. Good value
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

natel24

Post by natel24 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:54 pm

I have had a stoeger uplander supreme for almost two years and can't complain one bit. it is one of the cheapest, if not cheapest sxs you can buy but in my opinion it is a great gun. if you want a double and can't afford to lay down $1000+ (like me) then i would recommend this gun. has good wood on it too. i think i paid around $465 for mine.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:04 pm

The wood on my Uplander is cut a bit thick, square at the wrist. That said, I bought it used a couple years ago and have used it for everything but a paddle and it shoots every time. Finally found someone to trade me a pistol grip stock for the english one I have and will work the edges off the grip on that one when I get it from him next month. The Uplanders and the Stevens guns are not fine wands but they are dependable.
Colin

Holden05

Post by Holden05 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't know if anyone else has noticed or not...

There is an influx of guns coming in from Europe right now. Used of course. I just picked up a Merkel SXS post war for less than 500 dollars. It isn't perfect, but the place I got this from had over 2000 guns they just purchased in a lot. Keep in mind they are older models and some of the brands that I found were as follows:

Simson
Saur
AYA
Fausti
Sarasqueta

There were more, but that is all I can recall. Some decent guns at a good price. This is at least the third or 4th set of guns like this that I'm aware of...

ralphbeagle

Post by ralphbeagle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:57 am

Try Simpsonltd.com. They have a bunch of the Euopean guns described above, and many others. I bought a Husqvarna SXS from Sarconinc.com whey had them and really like the gun. I paid about $325 for the gun and another $150 or so to have the stock cut off, refinished and the checkering freshened. Good, solid reliable working gun.

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:44 pm

ralphbeagle wrote:I bought a Husqvarna
What won't husqvarna make these days. I'll give them credit for making a great thinning saw, been through more red alder than the state of Oregon has to offer and still hasn't thrown a chain.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Benny wrote:
ralphbeagle wrote:I bought a Husqvarna
What won't husqvarna make these days. I'll give them credit for making a great thinning saw, been through more red alder than the state of Oregon has to offer and still hasn't thrown a chain.
Husqvarna started as a firearms manufacturer in 1689, long before there were chain saws, motorcycles, and weed whackers.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/company_we ... story.aspx

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 pm

nj gsp wrote: Husqvarna started as a firearms manufacturer in 1689, long before there were chain saws, motorcycles, and weed whackers.

http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/company_we ... story.aspx
Nice double barrels. Thanks for the history lesson (being serious)!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:39 pm

And they make one heckuva fine chainsaw! :D

Rob

Post by Rob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 pm

I recently bought a vintage Beretta SXS (1960s) in excellent condition for $625, which is not an exceptional price. It is a nice field gun. I did not see whether you specified that it had to be new.

Rob

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:02 pm

What are the pros of a double barrel? When you do hunt tests does it have to be a double barrel?

-Randy
Randy B

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 am

I don't know the first thing about tests. I'll give you my streetsmart(?) version of why I like mine. It's a heck of a lot lighter than my pump, and I don't have to pump after the first shot while staying hot on the lead, just pull the trigger again. I also like that I can have a cylinder type choke on the bottom and a fuller type choke up top. Another argument I've heard from chukar hunters is the balance lends towards downward shots (particularly o/u, not SxS's). I wouldn't put much stock into that one, but who knows?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 am

Double barrels:
1) You don't have to chase down your empty shells
2) If shooting clays, you don't have empties banging off the stations or on the trap field hitting the wood on the guy's gun next to you
3) You get two chokes, so you can use a tighter one for your second shot
4) When a break-open gun is open, you know it is safe
5) It will rest on your shoulder broken open so you can fish things from pockets or button a coat without having to put the gun down
6) Easier to carry around - similar to number 5. At times I carry mine in the field broken open in one hand, so barrel is always pointing down and it is safe - like when tackling a tight trail or cover when you are with someone else.
7) Easy to see down the barrels to check if there are any obstructions or mud
8) Easy to clean

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:31 pm

I bought my Beretta 686 sporting for $580 and some change out the door at the local gun dealer, there huge they probably have somewhere close to 10,000 new and used guns. Like Dave said it took me a while to find what I really wanted, it had a small crack in the forestock but repaired very well, and it could be a little tighter, I am sure it was used alot at the range, only had 2 chokes, but beretta chokes are easy to find, the blueing was good, the butt pad replaced, but still a good fit for me. I love it, I wish I had one just like it in a 20 ga.
So yes it can be done.

Chip

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 pm

subatomicstang wrote:What are the pros of a double barrel? When you do hunt tests does it have to be a double barrel?

-Randy
Hey Randy,

Regarding hunt tests, from the AKC rules book:

Only blank pistols may be used in
the Junior Hunting Test.

In Senior and Master tests, only the handlers of the
working dogs shall fire a blank pistol. All live shooting at
any test shall be done by Official Guns only and the
Judges shall have complete authority over all such shooting.
They may require a change of Official Guns at any
time, and may bar from further shooting any Official Gun
who does not abide strictly by safe gunning rules.
Only double-barreled shotguns of at least 20 gauge
are to be used by Official Guns.
Semi-automatic and pump shotguns are prohibited.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:58 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:
subatomicstang wrote:What are the pros of a double barrel? When you do hunt tests does it have to be a double barrel?

-Randy
Hey Randy,

Regarding hunt tests, from the AKC rules book:

Only blank pistols may be used in
the Junior Hunting Test.

In Senior and Master tests, only the handlers of the
working dogs shall fire a blank pistol. All live shooting at
any test shall be done by Official Guns only and the
Judges shall have complete authority over all such shooting.
They may require a change of Official Guns at any
time, and may bar from further shooting any Official Gun
who does not abide strictly by safe gunning rules.
Only double-barreled shotguns of at least 20 gauge
are to be used by Official Guns.
Semi-automatic and pump shotguns are prohibited.
Yes thanks for that i found a pdf file with the rules and regs!!! I am looking for more of a all around shotgun i can use for turkey, duck and shoot a slug from. I may go with an automatic or a pump depending on my wallet. I dont mind a pump but an auto would be nice.
Randy B

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:07 pm

subatomicstang wrote: I may go with an automatic or a pump depending on my wallet. I dont mind a pump but an auto would be nice.
Sub, may I suggest Baretta AL390?
Good stuff, and can be found for a good deal on gunbroker.com
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:14 am

Benny wrote:
subatomicstang wrote: I may go with an automatic or a pump depending on my wallet. I dont mind a pump but an auto would be nice.
Sub, may I suggest Baretta AL390?
Good stuff, and can be found for a good deal on gunbroker.com
Absolutely ill check it out !
Randy B

gambel

Post by gambel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:02 pm

I would just echo what has been said about Lanber. I have owned Citoris, Franchis (including a renaissance), Stoeger, Huglu (including DeHaan), Remington Spartan and a couple of Veronas and the Lanber for me has been as good as any. They seem to fit me well and they are a great value for the money in my opinion. I once owned 4 of them. I am now down to two, one 12ga and one 20ga, both with tubes. I am fanatical about maintenance and care of my guns but at least I can take these hunting without cringing everytime they get muddy or get a scratch. I have nothing bad to say about the others, the Lanber has just found a home with me. It is well made, has great European lines, and very functional. One of the best for the price in my book!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:16 pm

gambel wrote: One of the best for the price in my book!
That's precisely how I feel about them. CDNN has a batch of the 2087 field models in for like $650. That is just so much gun for the money. So many budget o/u's are manufactured in countries that don't have Westen quality control standards so it can be somewhat of a crap-shoot with broken firing pins, etc. lanber has been bangin' away making guns in Spain for decades and they have a large market in the UK and Australia. They are just lesser known here. They cost a lot more over there too. It is a market anomoly on the price/quality spectrum what we can get them for here.
G

omega58

Post by omega58 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, it finally got cold enough here that I decided to refinish the stock on the Lanber 2087. I didn't like the high gloss finish on it and it had some dings and scratches. So far it is all stripped down (Citristrip is much better than the other stuff I used) and I ironed with wet towel, lightly sanded and am now in the Tru-oil slurry process to fill in any other spots. A few more weeks and I'll post some pics. I forgot to take a before pic with the high gloss, did take some pics of complete strip.

I might be buying a .410 Verona, so I may have to put this Lanber up for sale. . .I would like to keep it for the kids though. I guess that's why they have a layaway program. . .lay it away long enough and the wife forgets. :lol: