Double Barrel Shotguns

MNRichG911

Double Barrel Shotguns

Post by MNRichG911 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I am just wondering why everyone likes these types of guns? I have never had one but always hear of people looking for them and liking them. What am I missing by not having or wanting one? I have always had either semi autos and more recently pump models. I look forward to hearing everyones answers.

vzkennels

Re: Double Barrel Shotguns

Post by vzkennels » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 pm

In most cases they are lighter,more safe,or easier to make safe & I think just point & feel better in your hands.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm

There is no reason except personal preference. I like the pumps or semis better too but I have n O?U i like a lot. I never cared for the s/s because of the way tjey look when you are pointing towards a bird. However some do.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 pm

I grew up with an autoloader,switched to a pump gun for ducks and dropped the autoloader in lieu of a O/U for upland,I guess the biggest reason for it was weight and the fact that I learned that the third shot is really for the most part a waste of powder and lead a majority of the time.I know for a fact that my O/U's handle better than my autoloaders ever did and proved it today at the gun club where we held "Repeater" day with 3 targets launched with one press of the button.I missed the third target 95 % of the time :o

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:26 pm

Often much lighter. As far as SxS vs. O/U, in my personal opinion I think SxS's work better for high flushing game and O/U's work well for scooters and edge-divers like Chukar. The balance on SxS's tend to be rear heavy (only in my experience) where as the O/U carry a bit more on the front end. Seems ridiculous I know, I mean really the only difference is tipping the thing sideways; just feels that way to me.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wburns

Post by wburns » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:05 pm

Both a good sxs or O/U should not feel rear or front heavy if balanced correctly unless it is set up to the owners preference. Some do like a little more weight in the front to help with the swing through. The problem with SxS guns is most that are availible at gunshops today are cheaply built. They are built to heavily and not slimmed down like they should be. There are still some good quality side by side guns being produced but a general field grade SxS is generally more expensive than a good field grade O/U. I shoot a SxS primarily but I also shot an O/U and a pump. The O/U does feel different through the swing and for clays is generally regarded as a better gun. However in the field I like the large plain that the barrels give you to center under the bird. It all boils down to preference. All in all they work the same and one is really no better than the other. It is just certain guns feel better in the hand than others to each individual. If you are interested see if anyone at the local trap range will let you try a couple of guns. As for weight there are now autoloaders as light as a good SxS or O/U so weight is becoming less of an issue, but in my mind there is no better upland gun than a good sxs or O/U.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Double barrels:
1) You don't have to chase down your empty shells
2) If shooting clays, you don't have empties banging off the stations or on the trap field hitting the wood on the guy's gun next to you
3) You get two chokes, so you can use a tighter one for your second shot
4) When a break-open gun is open, you know it is safe
5) It will rest on your shoulder broken open so you can fish things from pockets or button a coat without having to put the gun down
6) Easier to carry around - similar to number 5. At times I carry mine in the field broken open in one hand, so barrel is always pointing down and it is safe - like when tackling a tight trail or cover when you are with someone else.
7) Easy to see down the barrels to check if there are any obstructions or mud
8 Easy to clean

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Well I have autos. pump. SxS's, O/U's, single shots, and bolt action shotguns. I prefer doubles for upland birds for all of the reasons Gar-Dog listed , but most importantly because of personal preference. I just like 'em. And in all honestly, I generally have no difficulty in shooting doubles that fit me whether the barrels are on their side or stacked up, and frankly I don't even notice the barrels or the bead when I'm shooting. I just look at the target and let my brain do the rest of the math on its own. :D

MNRichG911

Post by MNRichG911 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks to everyone who has posted. I really appreciate the info. Guess I never thought of some of the things you brought up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:09 am

I just look at the target and let my brain do the rest of the math on its own.
Think I just found out what my problem is. 8)

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 pm

You also don't have to worry about a double jamming.

texscala

Post by texscala » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:03 pm

I recently switched to a 20 SxS. I find I take my time and make my shots count with only 2 shots. I like the way it feels to shoulder it and to carry it while hunting.

The only downside I see is that on really nasty wet days in the chukar hills I am afraid to take it because there is no strap (also afraid of messing it up). I took 5 shots with it this season on birds and killed 3. That was not a bad way to end the season for me.

I also agree that a few huge advantages are ease of cleaning, ability to select a choke, lack of jamming, and safety, hardly any kick is another.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm

MNRichG911 wrote:I am just wondering why everyone likes these types of guns? I have never had one but always hear of people looking for them and liking them. What am I missing by not having or wanting one? I have always had either semi autos and more recently pump models. I look forward to hearing everyones answers.
Well, picking up 50-100+ spent hulls just about every weekend gets to be a real drag. Pop them shells right into the palm of your hand then right to the back of the vest or a shell bag. And on days when the weather is not so nice, your hulls never hit the ground and stay nice and dry, makes for nice reloading.

Don't get me wrong, I love shooting an automatic as well on the Skeet field, but I would say more than 95% of the time I'm shooting an O/U. I use a T&S Shell catcher for my 1100s, but being I unfortunately don't shoot them often, sometimes the shell catcher is more of a pain than what its worth. There's usually a few per round that will stick in the chamber, then you got to flip the gun sideways and shake it out or poke it out with your finger.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Some SxS's balance in my hands better than any pump, semi, or O/U ever has. Not all S X S are created equal either, some are better than others. But when you pick up the right one you won't want to put it down.

There's a traditional aspect to it as well.

To me it's like comparing a oil on felt painting (Pump) to a Picaso (Top shelf S X S's), For me, much of it is feel, i.e. balance and aesthetics , it's hard to quantify aesthetics and balance for that matter, but you know it when it's in your hands. The combination of grace and function of a well put together S x S is second only to the beauty of a woman.
Tom

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:45 pm

And, most importantly, you'll look better carrying a sxs than any other shotgun.

Buford Boone

Post by Buford Boone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 pm

I mostly hunt with CZ SxS shotguns, the bobwhite model with straight stock and two triggers.

You'll hear some who love them and some who say they are not "all that good". I really believe they are the current best buy in a quality SxS shotgun.

I have a friend that has used a CZ SxS .410 (Ringneck, single trigger) gun exclusively for the past two years. The really impressive fact is that he owns the following:

Krieghoff OU
Perrazi OU
Winchester Model 21
Merkel SxS sidelock
Cesar Guarini OU 28ga and .410 (2 sets of barrels)

Those are the guns I've seen him with. I've ony seen them at his house or on the skeet field. Whenever I see him hunting, he has the CZ.

I don't mean to imply that the CZ is the equal of any of the above, only that it is the "GO-TO" gun of a guy that has a lot of high quality choices.

penny dog

Post by penny dog » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 pm

I have two SxS nothing expensive, cz and a stevens and they both go bang bang evertime.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm

This has probably been beat to death....but I'm thinking of purchasing a Stoeger Condor in 20 gauge.... Has anyone owned one? What are your thoughts? I really like the price 350 at BP.

MataPAto

Post by MataPAto » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 am

This has sort of already been stated, but regarding the safety aspect:

A broken double-barrel gun is identifiably safe by other people you are hunting/trialing/testing with. A pump/auto with its chamber open may be technically as safe, but it's harder for someone else to tell that from any distance at all. When operating a gun with people who do not know you, a DB will probably make them feel better.

That being said, I only have an auto. But I am strongly considering a DB because I've had occasion to hunt with new acquaintances recently, and I was comforted by how easy it was for me to see how "safe" their gun was.

If you&I went out hunting together, which gun can I use to most easily show you when my gun is "safe" vs not?

-John

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:24 pm

I always had pumps and autos till 2 years ago when I traded a Weatherby auto for a Baikal s/s 20 gauge and last year I bought a Yildiz o/u in 12 gauge. I did not read every post so this may have been stated but with a s/s or o/u you can get a longer barrel which seems to swing smoother for me while still retaining a lighter weight due to the shorter and thinner -from top to bottom- receiver on a s/s or o/u. I did read and also agree with the fact that it just feels better in the hand. I still have my 12 gauge Remington 1100 but it mostly sits on the rack as a backup gun for the other 2. Another thing I like about a s/s and o/u is that I bought gauge reducers for the 12 gauge o/u and can shoot 20 gauge shells in it with not much change in patterning. I am definitely a convert from the autos and pumps to the s/s and o/u for life.

gspmo1 I did have one of those and right off the shelf the second barrel would not fire and when I sent it back they lost my gun because it got sent to Benelli the parent company rather than Stoeger which is downstairs in the same building from Benelli. 3 weeks later it was found and promptly fixed and returned but I just could not hit anything with it which was probably due to one of two things. #1 being me and the gun not quite fitting right or #2 I purchased it with 26" barrels when I should have gotten 28" barrels and the sight picture was not right for how I was used to shooting. In any case I traded it for my Remington 1100. They are well made guns and the customer service manager at Benelli was really nice and did find my gun for me after I called her. They are worth the money, it just was not the right gun for me.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 pm

I was a Browning auto guy for years. If you ever go to west Texas and foot hunt pointers you'll find out why a break over gun is the bomb! You can break it open and lug it around on your shoulder all day long. At the same time I've found that if you can't hit the bird on the second shot you'll never hit it! Two is all you need.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 pm

How far west in west texas aylaschamp? My town is half in texas and half in oklahoma about 100 miles north of amarillo. Matter of fact anytime anyone in town needs to do some serious shopping most everyone heads down to amarillo since we are closer to there than anything in oklahoma, kansas, colorado or new mexico.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:09 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:How far west in west texas aylaschamp? My town is half in texas and half in oklahoma about 100 miles north of amarillo. Matter of fact anytime anyone in town needs to do some serious shopping most everyone heads down to amarillo since we are closer to there than anything in oklahoma, kansas, colorado or new mexico.
I was born in Ok but hunt in west Texas. Around Sweetwater is the place for me! Ok, has lost it's birds just like all of the others. I was born an Indian in the hills of Ok and love East Ok! Tenkiller is my native stomping ground.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:02 pm

I've been through there but never had time to stop and fish like I would like. I am all the way in the western part of Oklahoma, so far if you go anymore westward you hit Texas, right along Hwy 54. You are right though Oklahoma has been losing birds like crazy but I heard over around Arnette and down around Pack Saddle they still have good numbers and Quail Unlimited has been doing some nice work over around Altus I believe. If you ever want to get into some pheasant drop me a pm, we still have plenty of those around but quail numbers are way down even from last year.

greyghost61

Post by greyghost61 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:10 pm

The safety factor that folks have stated is one of the big reasons. In the plantation belt around Albany Ga. most of the properties (the private holdings not open to the public for pay hunting) require their guest to use doubles in 20 gauge or smaller. Alot of the quail shooting preserves down in south Ga. are also starting to follow this trend. I am not sure for the reasons for this, but I do know that guns are not to be loaded while on the buggies and you normally have a number of nonshooting people (dog handler, scout, retriever handler and buggy driver) and there is no doubt about safeties and such when the guns are open. I am sure that tradition plays a part in the reasoning too.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:25 pm

greyghost61 wrote:The safety factor that folks have stated is one of the big reasons. In the plantation belt around Albany Ga. most of the properties (the private holdings not open to the public for pay hunting) require their guest to use doubles in 20 gauge or smaller. Alot of the quail shooting preserves down in south Ga. are also starting to follow this trend. I am not sure for the reasons for this, but I do know that guns are not to be loaded while on the buggies and you normally have a number of nonshooting people (dog handler, scout, retriever handler and buggy driver) and there is no doubt about safeties and such when the guns are open. I am sure that tradition plays a part in the reasoning too.
The reason for this--other than obvious safety and convenience stated above--is SOUND. I personally hunt with a pump gun, but when I guide, I prefer that the hunters have a break-open gun (visual safety) and that it be of 20ga or smaller due to sound. Newbie hunters tend to stand right next to the guide, no matter how often we tell them to spread out. The loudness of a 12ga will have the guide's ears ringing for hours!

p.s. Jay--is that you?

Aline
http://sitekreator.com.zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

adam.WI

Post by adam.WI » Tue May 19, 2009 4:31 pm

I started with a single shot and then jumped to a semi (rem 11-87) and that has been my go to gun since, about ten years now. I do have an 870 for those dirty duck days, but always go back to my auto. This matters because when I go back to WI and hunt with my father who has a couple older O/U berettas, I get jealous because he always looks good doing it. Looking good is half the battle and a beautiful double barrel does just that. Now my dad has got about 40 yrs on me and rightfully does probably know more than I do. I'm saving for a silver pigeon because they fit me well and I think they are a great looking gun.
So my opinion is if you don't like em you don't like em, but go and shoot them and you might be surprised

Str8Sh00ter

Post by Str8Sh00ter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:54 am

While I think saftey is a factor, I can walk around with my pump's action open too, I bought one originally because after a 8-10 hour day carrying my BPS with 28inch barrels, I was done with that heavybeast. great for ducks, but I found a solid stevens 12ga double with nice bores at a local gun shop for $250 and never looked back it weighs less, swings better and is much much easier to push through brush with in search of ruffies. and it is old enough of a field gun that I don't feel bad for every scratch on the stock from the briars.

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:01 pm

I have an o/u CZ mallard. Double triggers and extractors for simplicity. I like not having to pick up shells off the ground. I've found that two shots is more than enough, sometimes one is all I can squeeze off on these wild birds out here. Sometimes they are so jittery they bust out 30-40 yards ahead. I'm hoping my dog will change all of this!

That said, with any shotgun, fit is the #1 most important aspect. I'm looking at some older sxs guns now that have a lot of drop at heel. Being a tall guy, these modern stocks dont fit me well enough, but for some reason the older doubles have a lot of drop and fit me like a glove. Only problem is having to use reduced pressure loads, but I can live with that.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Gentlemen,
I would just like to say, what a great thread! A lot of information and opinions put forth without any SHOUTING or personal attacks! Just a nice conversation about 2x guns. Well done. :)
Thanks,
dennmor

I guess I should thow my 2 cents worth in,
I bought a Lamber over and under for $400 delivered to my door about five years ago. I have shot thousands of rounds through it on the trap range as well as the hunting field and never had a single problem. I would agree about the saftey and the fact that you just look better hunting with a double barrel! 8) Of course, a sweet pointing hunting dog never hurts either! :mrgreen:

dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:02 am

I love a sxs. They just feel right between my hands and are fast to the shoulder. I am talking about upland hunting, if I was a waterfowl hunter, I would prefer a pump.
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

reba

Post by reba » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:51 am

To me it simply depends on the type of birds I am hunting.

OU for phesants and sage grouse.

Auto loader for quail and chukar.

Why? When hunting chukar and quail I always seem to have the action open reloading, when the late risers take to the sky when using the OU.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Isn't that the truth. :)

I use a 20 gauge sxs when hunting quail and I have the same thing happen to me. Seems like the late risers are some of the easiest shots to make too, if you don't have the action open.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:06 pm

What about triggers?
I've only shot double barrels with single selective triggers. Is a double trigger gun a lot different? Is it a pain in the butt or do some of you actually prefer them?
I'm looking to buy a new gun this year and have seen some nice ones that have double triggers but I know nothing about hunting with them. :?
I'm curious as to why I should or shouldn't buy one. :?:

dennmor

Image Image Image

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Dennmor wrote:What about triggers?
I've only shot double barrels with single selective triggers. Is a double trigger gun a lot different? Is it a pain in the butt or do some of you actually prefer them?
I'm looking to buy a new gun this year and have seen some nice ones that have double triggers but I know nothing about hunting with them. :?

dennmor
That is a good question. My sxs has a single selective trigger, but if I had to do it over again, I would buy one with two triggers. The reason being that I usually have an imp.cyl choke in one barrel and a modified in the other. I always keep the selector on the imp. barrel because I figure when I flush, I will have the closest shot first. But if the bird flushes wild or farther away, there is no way that I can react fast enough to change the selector. I may as well not even have the selector and just have one barrel always firing first. If I had two triggers, I could easily adjust two choosing the proper trigger.

Charlie

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 pm

birddogger wrote:
Dennmor wrote:What about triggers?

dennmor
That is a good question. My sxs has a single selective trigger, but if I had to do it over again, I would buy one with two triggers. The reason being that I usually have an imp.cyl choke in one barrel and a modified in the other. I always keep the selector on the imp. barrel because I figure when I flush, I will have the closest shot first. But if the bird flushes wild or farther away, there is no way that I can react fast enough to change the selector. I may as well not even have the selector and just have one barrel always firing first. If I had two triggers, I could easily adjust two choosing the proper trigger.

Charlie
Charlie,
I was wondering about that. The primary reason I want a new shotgun is to have adjustable chokes. The gun I have now has fixed ones at full/modified. Too many times last year those chokes were too tight. One of the disadvantages of pointing dogs is you get more "in close" shots. 8)
I find that waiting for a bird to fly out far enough to shoot it really messes with my rythm. :?:
dennmor

Image Image Image

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Denmor, most of the sxs now days come with screw in chokes. Also, there are several affordable brands out there. Mine happens to be a CZ. I really like it.

Charlie

live4point

Post by live4point » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:58 am

I hunted with a double trigger sxs for a couple of years,it wasn't for me.Neither trigger can be in the optimal location on a double trigger gun.It always felt to me that one was too far forward and the other too far back.I'm sure many people get used to it,but I didn't care for it.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:29 am

I just purchased this gun.
Image Image
CZ Mallard

When I get it i'll shoot some trap to how it feels. I've been shooting and hunting with a single triggered Lamber O/U for about 5 years so I'm anxious to see how the double trigger works.
I'll let ya know :)
dennmor

BTW, paid just over $400 including delivery. :)

Image Image Image

reba

Post by reba » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:47 am

Does anyone know of a shotgun other than Merkel that the ejectors/extractors can be set for one or the other?

In other words you can set it for ejectors or extractors.

I also hate automatic safetys!!!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:00 pm

reba wrote:Does anyone know of a shotgun other than Merkel that the ejectors/extractors can be set for one or the other?

In other words you can set it for ejectors or extractors.

I also hate automatic safetys!!!
The Baikal and Remington Spartans (made by Baikal) have this feature.