Yildiz Shotgun

2britts

Yildiz Shotgun

Post by 2britts » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 pm

I remember a while back there was some talk about the O/U from Academy Sports. Is everyone still as happy now with the guns? My parents are down south right now avoiding all the snow. I could have them bring one back now. Just wondering if they are holding up well.

gwgdog66

Re: Yildiz Shotgun

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm very happy with the SPZ ME 12 and SPZ ME 20 I have. I haven't had a show stopper of a problem one out of them in three seasons hunting.

I used the heck out of my 20ga. I've lost count of the rounds I've put through it, I quit keeping count at 3500. I only had one expended shell fail to eject. I popped it out with a dowl rod, and gave it a well over due cleaning and it never happened again. I like it because it is lightweight in the field.

My 12 ga I use mostly for sporting clays and Duck hunting, I estimate it has about 2000 rounds through it.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a buddy with one and he has been happy with his. I am seriously considering an o/u 20ga and will probably get one in the next few weeks.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:20 pm

2britts wrote:I remember a while back there was some talk about the O/U from Academy Sports. Is everyone still as happy now with the guns? My parents are down south right now avoiding all the snow. I could have them bring one back now. Just wondering if they are holding up well.
Personally, I'd love to get my hands on one or two. There's an "I love my Yildiz" section on shotgun world. Seems like everybody loves theirs!
If your parents want to bring back a 20ga O/U i"m sure I could work something out with them. :D
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

Ada Viz

Post by Ada Viz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 am

I've got the ME Special 20 O/U. It has engraving and a little nicer wood over the regular ME. For under $600 out the door, the best value on any new gun anywhere. Service is actually a plus, there have been a few issues with firing pins going breaking but turnaround time is much faster with Briley than you would get with Remington et al. Its a reliable lightweight inexpensive field gun. The quality of the wood is amazing for a gun this price. I'm thinking of getting an ME 12 also. If you get one ask them to open up every box they have and find the one with the nicest wood and best wood/metal fit. Some of the ones I've seen in the store have poor wood/metal fit, but others look great.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Ada Viz wrote:I've got the ME Special 20 O/U.
looked them up...what a pretty o/u. Under $600??? Is the stock good solid wood? My Rem Spartan butt stock feels hollow :(
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Ada Viz

Post by Ada Viz » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 pm

looked them up...what a pretty o/u. Under $600??? Is the stock good solid wood?
Solid Turkish walnut. Over at Shotgunworld there are some guys that have done amazing jobs refinishing the stocks. I'm proud to own one because I know I got a good deal and it turns heads. Here is the link to the Shotgunworld board:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewfor ... =0&start=0

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:12 pm

I got one. What a bargin. $399 plus sales tax. Screw in chokes. You can buy 3 of these for one Browning.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:43 am

donnie_19 wrote:I got one. What a bargin. $399 plus sales tax. Screw in chokes. You can buy 3 of these for one Browning.
Pictures? :P

Image Image Image

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:19 am

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:11 am

I normally shoot my benelli auto but need a break open for FT and something basic to get my wife into shooting...anyone else have any opinions on this gun? I was thinking about trying to find a used Citori or CZ something like that but for now i really wouldn't want to spend a lot of money unless she really got into it. For a gun that your not slamming thousands of rounds out at the skeet range what do you think about this gun?

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:32 pm

I purchased one of the 20ga O/U and have no complaints. Only used it a few times as its too dang hot to want to go shoot right now. It does feel great, swings great, and shoots where you aim it. Feel I got my moneies worth thats for sure. Don't think you will be disappointed with it especially if getting it to get your wife started. Might be surprised and find yourself shooting it once in a while.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:07 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:I purchased one of the 20ga O/U and have no complaints. Only used it a few times as its too dang hot to want to go shoot right now. It does feel great, swings great, and shoots where you aim it. Feel I got my moneies worth thats for sure. Don't think you will be disappointed with it especially if getting it to get your wife started. Might be surprised and find yourself shooting it once in a while.

I started reading around about it and and on shotgunworld.....Now its not a browning or Bretta but if your wanting something to point at a bird and go boom, but light weight looks nice and seems to be very reliable....for the price, warranty and finsish it looks like a great gun im going to pick one up just to have it. I'm not a super shotgun nut who care's about 500 year old walnut stock blah blah blah...I would like to get a nice Browning or Bretta but don't have a reason right now...I would rather spend that money on handguns or for my tactical stuff.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:43 am

I'm with you. Like a nice shotgun but really care that when I pull the trigger it goes boom and is going where I aimed it. Someday might get a nice browning or something but for this price great gun to shoot a few years, and won't hurt my feelings if I get a scratch on it. Id rather buy 2-3 shotguns for multiple purposes than have 1 specialized one.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:28 am

Someone asked for pics of a Yildiz. Here is my 12 gauge O/U and I am going to buy a 20 gauge in the very near future. Luke from some of the articles I read on the gun before buying mine they compare it very favorably to a CZ saying it is just as good but cheaper. I was going to buy a CZ as well but opted for the more inexpensive version. Oh and by the way just wanted everyone to know that is the same gun but the pictures were just taken in a different light so the stock looks different. It is actually more like the picture with the pheasants in it.

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:16 pm

I picked one up after all the great reviews and its wood is amazing, it feels great as a field gun and can really bust clays. Great shotgun at a great price.

Cheers!!

dmadis8

Post by dmadis8 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:29 pm

anyone know where you can pick one up around Colorado? I am looking for a SxS when my boat sells

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:44 am

Your going to have to head east to find one. Maybe go visit some family or an old friend and come home with a new toy. Academy is importing them directly and only place selling them.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... fromFOOTER

dmadis8

Post by dmadis8 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:16 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:Your going to have to head east to find one. Maybe go visit some family or an old friend and come home with a new toy. Academy is importing them directly and only place selling them.

Thanks for the heads up. If I knew anyone east of the Mississippi I would find a reason to visit them. Might have to just go with a CZ

live4point

Post by live4point » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 am

MillerClemsonHD wrote:Your going to have to head east to find one. Maybe go visit some family or an old friend and come home with a new toy. Academy is importing them directly and only place selling them.

Wont they sell you one and ship it to an FFL holder for you ?

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:12 am

I do not think they will sell and ship to an FFL.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:I do not think they will sell and ship to an FFL.
I called one of their stores in Oklahoma and they said they did not ship! :|
If I could figure a way to get one I'd do it too!
Having said that, I just got a CZ Mallard that I love the look and feel of but it doesn't fit me and I'm looking to sell it. :(
I'd like to get my hands on a Yildiz to see if the fit might be different.

dennmor

Image Image Image

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:57 pm

I might just have to open a distribution company to ship yildz to FFL west of the Mississippi since Academy doesn't want to do it!!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:30 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:I might just have to open a distribution company to ship yildz to FFL west of the Mississippi since Academy doesn't want to do it!!
Go for it! :P

dennmor

Image Image Image

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Looked at their website it is showing an older catalog date. Are they still being manufactured and where could a fella get one?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 pm

I got on the Yildiz website awhile back and in the U.S. Academy was the only place you could get them. May be different now.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:15 pm

I have one... 2500 rounds or so through it. Love it to death. It's a great little field gun, but will really hammer you at the club. Sore all over the next day after the first time I shot a round (100) of sporting clays with sport loads. A little better now with AA Light Target.

As far as finding someone to ship you one.. I would call Briley in Houston. They handle all the factory warranty work and service and parts for the USA (another reason I chose this gun over several other import O/U) and who knows.. they may have one they took on trade?

Shane

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Here are some pics of the 20 gauge Yildiz I just bought a week or so ago. I haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet but it sure is light, points nice and has gorgeous wood on it. I only paid $432 and some change with tax and all. I found out that the reason that only Academy has them is that they are made specifically for Academy by Yildiz. You can see the Academy stamp on the barrel in one of the pics I posted. I really like these guns though.

texscala

Post by texscala » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:01 pm

I am impressed by the wood, reviews, & price of these guns. Do they come with fixed chokes? and do they come in double triggers? I have grown partial to double triggers on my doubles.

I will be heading to Texas in August and might have to take a look at a few of these.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Sorry just single selective triggers, ejectors, and 5 screw in chokes. M, IM, IC, C, F.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:07 pm

Academy is still the only place you can get them. They have lots of stores west of the Mississippi. I currently have 2 of them and never had an issue.

live4point

Post by live4point » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:46 am

Not wanting to tick anyone off or dissrespect anyone,but I looked at the photos of the gun on page 2 and while it is a very nice looking gun,it looks to me that they are marking the wood to make it look like higher quality wood than it really is.If you look close,you will see the dark color stripe on the wood extends on to the buttstock in the exact same line.Looks like it has been artifically colored.On the up side,it's still a fine looking gun and the birds will never know the difference :)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:30 am

Why would they color some of the guns like that and leave some of the wood grain looking plain jane? I had to look at at least 4 or 5 guns before picking that one out because every grain is different on every gun. Do you live near an Academy? My suggestion is to go look for yourself. They are not colored. Another thing is the grains are different on every gun in the same model and price range. These are the field models for $399.99 before tax. Why would they waste the extra time to do that on an inexpensive shotgun? To add, Academy is the only importer of them in the U.S. so if there is no competition then why would there be a reason to artificially embelish the gun? Not all of the stocks and forearms are that nice. You have to look at each individual gun and pick the stock and forearm you like. I happened to get a good one I think. You may not like it or in your case think it looks fake, you may like a different style or look so once again I suggest you go to Academy and look for yourself. These guns are not artificially embelished. They are made in Turkey and they use Turkish walnut on the stock much like we use American walnut here in the U.S. There it is not unusual to have nice wood like it is here in the U.S. For truely nice stocks we have to import the wood, they don't they have it growing there already. Probably one of the reasons Academy chose to import from there in the first place.

live4point

Post by live4point » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:28 am

Heck,maybe I'm wrong.I think I might have been one time before but I'm not for sure,been a long time ago.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 pm

I own Yildiz and the stocks have not been stained or striped. They can't take the time for the low price point.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 am

I have had the 12 ga. Yildiz since Christmas and love it. I have put 200 rounds through it and the only shells to hang the ejectors have been Remington. Winchester spent shells fly back about 12 feet.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

My 20 gauge ejects the empties about 15 ft. My 410 has extractors.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Well today on the advice of you my gun dog forum friends, I purchased the 12 GA model for $399. I was in need of a new field gun and I'm hoping this gun will fit the bill at a very good price. I was surprized at how good the gun fills and Friday I will find out how it shoots.

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 am

I am pretty much sold on these guys and will be driving to Texas in early May. Does Texas law permit you to buy a gun if you live out of state and have an out of state license?

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 am

I just called them and no they don't. :(

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Where are you coming from Texscala. I think they are willing to let you buy if you are from a bordering state because I live in Oklahoma but have to drive to Amarilo, Texas to buy my guns because it is the closest metropolitan area to where I live. Here is a link to where Academy has stores. I hate to see you miss out on such a well made gun at such a cheap price.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... FromHEADER

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Coming from Utah so it looks like I am out of luck :? . I have a lot of interest in SxSs and like double triggers but think that the over under could be a nice gun to carry in the hills for chukar.

I might be able to figure something out.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Still looking? This place has a used one (with all the chokes) http://www.greencountryarms.com/

Maybe they will ship to you? I know the guy does a lot of gun shows.

Shane

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm

I have never seen or handled a Yildiz shotgun but have shot some CZ's. The first time I shot a CZ the trigger pull was so hard I thought the safety was on. How is the trigger pull on the Yildiz?

txgsp

Post by txgsp » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:47 pm

ecater2218 wrote:I have had the 12 ga. Yildiz since Christmas and love it. I have put 200 rounds through it and the only shells to hang the ejectors have been Remington. Winchester spent shells fly back about 12 feet.
I haven't had any problems with my 20 ga. But seriously, the shell ejector is on steroids, so watch out. Mine shoots about 10-15 feet.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:29 pm

It's true that the ejectors really launch the spent hulls several feet but what bothers me more and it really shouldn't is that even after a season of hunting with my 20 gauge it is still really hard to break open. It still feels like a brand new gun even after running several hundred rounds through it. My 12 gauge broke in fine after about a season of shooting it with 5 and 6 shot heavy game loads. The 20 I use mostly on quail so only use 6 and 7 1/2 and sometimes 8 shot but I have disassembled and cleaned it, worked it numerous times just opening and closing it, had it hunting for a season, shot trap and skeet with it and it still feels really stiff to open and close. I will be glad when it finally breaks in enough to just push the lever to the left and the barrels fall open like on my 12 gauge Yildiz.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:47 am

I almost bought one with my graduation money but I got a mossberg pump and a .22 6 shooter instead. I saw one at a NSTRA trial last weekend, apparently they have one for $549 that has an even nicer stock on it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 am

They look and feel just fine.... But the cheesy or sometimes gawdy engraving on the receiver ruins it for me.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:28 am

I've shot a few and really like them, but the engraving turns me off too. I still look every time i go to academy, but i just cant get over the engraving.

I'll go CZ (canvasback or woodcock), unless they come out with something i like. Heck just a plain ol' blued reciever would be nice.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

2britts

Post by 2britts » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 pm

I had forgot about this thread that I started a couple of years ago. I did finally get a yildiz 12 ga. just a few weeks ago still waiting to shoot it. So far I'm impressed with how it feels and looks. The action is a little stiff but I'm sure that will break in and the ejectors throw empty shells 6-8 feet. I have heard that the 20 ga. guns are stiffer than the 12 ga. and that some of the guys on the shotgun world forum are cutting a couple of coils off of the ejector springs and that is taking care of both the stiff action and shells ejecting so far.