Mossberg Silver Reserve-any owners?

postoakshorthairs

Mossberg Silver Reserve-any owners?

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:11 pm

I won a Mossberg Silver Reserve 12 gauge o/u in a gun drawing. I was looking for a mid level o/u but I like the feel of this gun. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, and the engraving is a little on the low end side, but it was free :D :D :lol:

Do any of you own one of these and if so how do you like them? issues to look for?

ScottG

Re: Mossberg Silver Reserve-any owners?

Post by ScottG » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 pm

There were many known firing pin issues for awhile. I believe that is supposed to be fixed.

I had a friend who received one as a gift from his brother. The safety wouldn't always disengage. It was inconsistent enough that Mossberg couldn't fix the problem and ended up sending him a new one. While the safety works on the new one, it won't always fire.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Sweet! I'll just throw shells at the birds. :D Well if it turns out to be a dud at least it wasn't expensive.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 pm

I have never owned or really handled one,but I think there was a problem with them firing both barrels also.I saw a brand new one with 20 & 28 gauge barrell set for $600.Tempting but I haven't heard anything good about them.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:Sweet! I'll just throw shells at the birds. :D Well if it turns out to be a dud at least it wasn't expensive.
See, now that's a glass half-full kinda guy right there :mrgreen:
Congrats on the free-bee! If it puts dinner on the table, its always a winner in my book!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:46 pm

I'll get it out in a day or two and shoot at some clay pigeons and let everyone know if I have any issues.

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 am

That is a very optimistic approach. Congrats by the way on winning the shotgun. I envy your luck.

KALEBSDAD

Post by KALEBSDAD » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Congrats on the free gun, but........

I had one in 20 ga, I din't shoot a full box of shells and had numerous problems, doubled, hesitated, wouldn't open....... after about an hour and a half on the phone with Mossberg, got a full refund, found a sweet used 686 and life is good

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:23 am

Well, I took the new gun on a preserve hunt this weekend. I shot several shell through it. It did have one hiccup on a second shot that didn't fire. One good thing is it felt good and i actually hit a few birds so even if it doesn't work out I've realized i really like the o/u's.

live4point

Post by live4point » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:40 pm

I have had a 410 for a few years and haven't had any trouble with it.Unlike most of the expensive guns,it has a frame built to scale,not 410 barrels hanging on a 20 gauge frame.It's a pretty sweet,streamlined little gun,I've put down birds with it.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:24 pm

buddy has one, i have used it some duck hunting and i have to agree with the firing issues. i don't know what it is but sometimes it won't fire then the next time it will, very inconsistent. on the bright side sometimes it works flawlessly on the other hand it can let you down in an important situation. i would sell it and by a descent pump for the same price.

WingmanCA

Post by WingmanCA » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:32 pm

I got one in 20ga last Fall and used for pheasant and quail with nary a problem. Fired the 3 inch magnum #4s for pheasant and it did the job. I like size and balance.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Mossberg will send you NEW firing pins for free. . .that may be the firing problem you are experiencing.

takalimit

Post by takalimit » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 am

My Buddy owms both a 20 and 12 Silver Reserve. After never having an issue with the 12 gauge he went and purchased the 20. The 20 had a problem with both barrels going off. After taking it back to the gander whereh bought it and paying 70 bucks for a cleaning and to be told that nothing is wrong with it, both barrels still kept going off. He took it to a different Gander location and they sent it back to Mossberrg. A few weeks later, and we have put 1,000 rounds through it and no problems.

I really like the 12 gauge silver reserve and it fits me well. I am confident that if purchased and issues are found, it would be fixed with no problems and returned to me in a timely manner.