Rizzini O/U

MTO4Life

Rizzini O/U

Post by MTO4Life » Sat May 02, 2009 7:20 am

Anyone used a Rizzini O/U? How'd you like it, any issues etc? I have a lead on two different ones and want some opinions. Thanks.

Chasin' Mearns

Re: Rizzini O/U

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm

MTO4Life wrote:Anyone used a Rizzini O/U? How'd you like it, any issues etc? I have a lead on two different ones and want some opinions. Thanks.
Love mine. I call it my "Gentleman's Quail Gun."

CM

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Which Rizzini are you referring to? I believe there are three different Rizzini gun makers.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 04, 2009 7:14 am

One was marked Fair on the bottom of the receiver (I think this is the manufacturer, although not sure as I've never heard of the brand before). The other name escapes me at the moment...

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Mon May 04, 2009 7:41 am

The FAIR guns are I Rizzini. All of the Rizzinis are Italian manufacturers. Most of these guns in the US are imported under other names. For instance, several of the Verona series were FAIR made guns. These were considered to be excellent values. The Savage Milano is also made by FAIR. I have one of these in a 20 gauge and really like it. It was what I was looking for in a quail gun. It is a very slim and light gun. I have never heard of major problems in these guns.

Pros:
Light
Frames scaled to gauge
Mechanical set triggers
Good trigger pull
Barrel selector is a tang slide as opposed to an H safety (I've had problems before trying to push the H safeties up the middle and not getting the safety off)

Cons:
Aftermarket chokes are expensive
Only 1 year warranty (this is just for the Milano, the Veronas had lifetime warranties)

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Mon May 04, 2009 9:40 am

ScottG wrote:The FAIR guns are I Rizzini. All of the Rizzinis are Italian manufacturers. Most of these guns in the US are imported under other names. For instance, several of the Verona series were FAIR made guns. These were considered to be excellent values. The Savage Milano is also made by FAIR. I have one of these in a 20 gauge and really like it. It was what I was looking for in a quail gun. It is a very slim and light gun. I have never heard of major problems in these guns.

Pros:
Light
Frames scaled to gauge
Mechanical set triggers
Good trigger pull
Barrel selector is a tang slide as opposed to an H safety (I've had problems before trying to push the H safeties up the middle and not getting the safety off)

Cons:
Aftermarket chokes are expensive
Only 1 year warranty (this is just for the Milano, the Veronas had lifetime warranties)
This could turn into a solid information thread.

Mine is a FAIR 702 with an EL upgrade on the wood. The fire blue with gold inlay has a lot of class.

I have had excellent luck with Seminole Chokes. Very reasonable. Fantastic patterns.

Steve

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 04, 2009 10:47 am

This one is used (gently I might add... not a scratch on it). It is a 20 ga., and is very light. Fits great and comes with 5 choke tubes (I believe it was skt, skt, ic, mod, full) and a hard case for $1400 canadian. I think it is a good deal, and from what you are saying, a good solid gun.

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Mon May 04, 2009 10:59 am

MTO4Life wrote:This one is used (gently I might add... not a scratch on it). It is a 20 ga., and is very light. Fits great and comes with 5 choke tubes (I believe it was skt, skt, ic, mod, full) and a hard case for $1400 canadian. I think it is a good deal, and from what you are saying, a good solid gun.
My 28 has 28" Bbls. What are on the 20 you are looking at? More out of curiousity for me, and yes there has always been a ton of debate on Bbl length on the boards.

How much US is $1,400 Canadian?

CM

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 04, 2009 11:04 am

Barrel length is 710mm, just shy of 28". $1400 canadian would be around $1100 to $1150 or so!!

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 am

It sounds like you may be looking at one imported under the FAIR name. I really don't know what that exact gun is worth. You probably want to see which model it is. In the U.S., Milanos tend to run $1,000 to $1,400 and the old Veronas less. The new Veronas are more in line with the Milanos. There is also a Cortona (made by FAIR) that is more in the $3,000 range. Although all these guns are pretty much identical mechanically, stock and finish can greatly alter the price.

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm

MTO4Life wrote:Barrel length is 710mm, just shy of 28". $1400 canadian would be around $1100 to $1150 or so!!
Hard to really know what you have there, but for that $$$, and a gun that fit me, I would be posting pics of my new Rizzini.

CM

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 pm

I have an Emilio Rizzini......imported under the Tristar name,its a sporting clays model and while I've shot it some it's really to pretty to drag around a hillside,I believe the model is a TRSC-304 it's a ducks unlimited 20/28 gauge set,and the wood on it is really quite nice,finish is nice and it handles very well.I bought it from my buddy who couldn't hit a thing with it.I shoot it very well considering the high stock.I only had a very minor problem with it and after trying to get a response from Tristar about the nearest authorized repair shop with no response after half a dozen emails I let the kreighoff mechanic have a crack at it.He relocktighted one screw and it was good to go.The problem was doubling when fitted with the 28 barrells and trying to fire the over barrel first.No issues with the 20 barrells attached.I've got no idea what the real value of it is because it's not listed in any book I've referenced.

omega58

Post by omega58 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:53 am

I have 4 Verona o/us and I love them. They are built well and should last a lifetime.

The F.A.I.R. gun should have a number somewhere on it. . .if an NEA FAIR 400/500/600/702/900/902 etc. The 900 and 902 have hand finished bulino style engraving.

Cabela's has a bunch of NEA FAIR guns in the gun library, check them out to compare.

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:15 pm

I have two both are Sig Arms. One is a 12ga the other is the same but in a 20ga. I would say that 98% of my bird hunting is done with the 12ga Rizzini and it is practicaly heat seeking. I just throw it up to the should and the birds come tumbling down.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 pm

thunderhead wrote:I have two both are Sig Arms. One is a 12ga the other is the same but in a 20ga. I would say that 98% of my bird hunting is done with the 12ga Rizzini and it is practicaly heat seeking. I just throw it up to the should and the birds come tumbling down.
What........ Did you forget who your talking to here? :lol: :lol: :lol:
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:47 pm

these mid-priced italian guns are quite nice..i held a Guerini Woodlander today and while its a $2,500 gun its seems like an excellent value..anyone have experience with Guerini?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:47 am

MBosco and I collaborated to get my B. Rizzini BR-320. It's a sporting clays model with case-colored receiver. 32" barrels with choke tubes. Wood to metal fit is very good. Mine has the most gorgeous piece of wood on it that I've ever seen on a normal grade gun.

My son and I shot 100 each through it this weekend.

It's the lightest, best-handling 32" barreled O/U I've ever had in my hands. Trigger is good and I'm picky about triggers even on shotguns from shooting target rifles with 2 oz (or even less) triggers.

Function was flawless as you'd expect from an O/U.

I prefer a shorter stock than most despite being a somewhat lanky 6'2". The BR-320 seems longer than most. I had a bit of problem shooting from a low gun. No problems at all when already mounted. I'm debating with myself on having the stock shortened and a thicker recoil pad installed. But that wood is so beautiful that I haven't brought myself to do it.

I had an Improved Cylinder in the lower barrel and Improved Modified in the upper. The IC choke seems tight. Most targets were completely powdered. I haven't yet put it on the pattern board.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:50 am

yeah that was quite a bit of fun, greg, mine is on the way!!!!!!...if anyone is looking for one..there are some agressive dealers on the east coast..B Rizzini is a good gun, Vertex is a bit cheaper..

sal

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 am

CM,

What is the weight on that gun in the picture?

Charles

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 am

the b rizzini target guns in 12 gauge range from 7.5 to 8lbs, the field guns are just below to well below 7lbs

the 320 in 12 gauge with 32's has to weigh 8lbs

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

I have very accurate postal scales. I'll weigh the BR-320 tonight and post back. I don't think it's relevant to anyone other than someone shooting sporting clays or trap. Or, maybe a freak like me that would like to shoot doubles skeet with it :mrgreen:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Good guess, Sal. It's 8 lbs 1.5 oz.

thunderhead

Post by thunderhead » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:41 am

The Rizzini that I use as my primary hunting and dog training gun shoots really well, and I have droped countless birds with it. The one problem that has been re-occurring is broken firing pins. I have had this happen durring hunting trips and am lucky enough to always pack a back up gun. It has also happened during the dog training season. I think on probably 3 seperate occasions I have had firing pins break. Other than that, I think they handle and shoot great.
Take the field by storm. http://www.thunderheadgsps.com