What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

ejb3810

Re: What type of shotgun are you using for your bird hunts?

Post by ejb3810 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm

I use a different gun depending upon what I am hunting and what the conditions are. Remington 870s or Browning Lite 12 and I really enjoy using my wife's gun. That is an Antonio Zoli Siver Snipe 20, which I bought her as a wedding present more years ago than I want to remember.
How many others can say they pulled one like that off?

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:28 pm

For waterfowl and pheasants I use a Remington 11-87 12 ga that I bought back in the early 90"s. I also tend to use this gun for doves and crow as I tend to shoot it pretty well. For ruffed grouse I use a model 59 Winchester with a vr and the barrel cut back to 24" also in 12 ga. I'm looking hard a going to a 20 ga O/U maybe the Franchi SL.posting.php?mode=reply&f=86&t=19933#

gock5

Post by gock5 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I use a 10 yr old Remington 1187 SuperMag for waterfowl and a 20 yr old Remington 870 Wingmaster for pheasant.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:06 pm

I figured I'd bring this thread back from the dead.

My favorite guns are side by sides. I haven't hunted with anything else is many years. But in the past few years, I've got the bug to hunt all my upland birds with a .410. I've been hunting dove, quail, chukar, pheasant with a .410 for a few years now and I'm having a great time.

My most often used .410 sxs is a 1927 Ithaca NID ejector gun with 28" barrels (very rare as most are 26"). I bought it in Seattle a few years ago. Late last year, I stumbled on an internet ad for a gun in North Carolina with an identical description. I called to confirm the configuration. It was as advertised. So, I bought that one too. When I got the second gun, I noted that the serial numbers were 3 digits apart. A letter from the caretaker of Ithaca records indicated that the two guns were made on the same work order in the shop and processed together. One gun went to a dealer on the west coast and the other to the east coast. Today, they're back along side each other again after over 80 years.

Here's another favorite I've been using this last season. A Parker Reproduction 28ga with a set of aftermarket Galazan .410 barrels fitted.

ridenismo

Post by ridenismo » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Man what a story, id love to get my hands on a 410 NID single trigger ejector gun. I have an ithaca/skb 600 O/U in 12, a Flues SxS 12, and an NID SxS 16. Next on the list is a SxS with single trigger and ejectors in something other than 12 guage. I love ithaca's, growing up 40 minutes from Ithaca NY its part of my life. Got 9 in the safe right now...

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

ridenismo,
I found a 20ga NID Grade 3E (ejector) factory single selective trigger gun years ago. Pretty rare combination of options, but It had a broken stock that was repaired but the stock inletting was butchered beyond belief or repair. I bought it anyway because I wanted to "save" it. $3k later and it looks pretty nice. (ouch) Restocked to a straight stock (originally a pistol grip), and a beavertail forend (splinter originally). I think it's a 1926 ish gun. Had all the metal finishes redone at the same time. If you're an Ithaca gun fan, you need to have Walt Snyder's book. Amazon has them. Walt's a good guy and an expert on them, of course. He was the one that provided a letter for the 410 guns and their history. Anyway, the 20g 3E turned out very well and has taken some wild california valley quail and some South Dakota roosters.

Regarding 410 NID's with 28" barrels, I've asked a few lifelong collectors, including Walt Snyder about them. They are not recorded in the factory records and only one other 410 NID has been seen by the guys I asked and that was 40 yrs ago. That guy kept notes on guns he saw at gun shows decades ago. Nearly all the 410 NID guns, of which there were less than a 1000 made, were 26". Being ejector guns on top of that makes them worth quite a bit.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 am

Very nice 410!!. It's hard to find a Stevens. an Ithaca is like hitting the lottery..

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 am

Ridenismo
Finding 410 NIDs is difficult. Finding 410 ejector NIDs is very rare. I have never seen a factory single trigger 410 NID. However Miller Triggers are being made and installed by Classic Gunstocks. Dan May informed me that he could install one in a 410 NID. In light of the value of my two guns, I've reconsidered. I value them in the area of $6-7k each maybe a bit more to the right guy. I'm basing this on the current listings of extractor 410s with 26" barrels listings from $4500 up.

There quantities manufactured of NID 410s were
790 field grade
64 grade 1
40 grade 2
7 grade 3
14 grade 4
6 grade 5
2 grade 7
1 Sousa grade

ridenismo

Post by ridenismo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

I know how rare ANY 410 NID Ithaca is, and realistically dont feel I'll ever have the opportunity or means to get my hands on one. That being said, its exactly why i dream about adding one to my collection. My chances are slim to non existant, but someday with a little bit of luck ill come across a 16 or 20 that i can afford. Until then I'll live vicariously through you guys and drool all over my computer, I'm envious!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:27 pm

I just picked up a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga for next season......auto bird blaster.....Huns beware.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 pm

I enjoy shooting my SKB 280 20 Ga SxS more so than any of my other guns. I even use it for all my training. It is very light with no kick and seems to fit me well.

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

I use my Benelli SBE II for everything from geese to grouse.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am

I have a Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge, franchi affinity 12, and a Winchester superX 3 12 gauge. The wife is getting her hunter's safety this Spring so one of them will get used more than usual.

Still haven't bought an over and under yet, but I am sure it will happen.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am

for early grouse season I use the old Stevens 20 ga. SxS handed down from my dad and one I learned on as a kid. I later use a cheap Angelo Zoli 20 ga. O/U for later season grouse. for pheasant, my go to gun is a 12 ga. Benelli Montefeltro with an occasional Ruger Gold Label or Guerini Tempio as a second gun

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:21 am

millerms06 wrote:I have a Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge, franchi affinity 12, and a Winchester superX 3 12 gauge. The wife is getting her hunter's safety this Spring so one of them will get used more than usual.

Do you like the Affinity?

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am

ACooper wrote:
millerms06 wrote:I have a Benelli montefeltro 20 gauge, franchi affinity 12, and a Winchester superX 3 12 gauge. The wife is getting her hunter's safety this Spring so one of them will get used more than usual.

Do you like the Affinity?
One of the best auto loaders I shot. My favorite gun before that was a Benelli M1 super90. It is definitely worth every penny! And their customer service is probably the best I have had to deal with.

mask

Post by mask » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Beretta xplor lite.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sun May 05, 2013 10:11 am

One that I've had for about 10 yrs that I won't be using for bird hunts again is this one. It's a 1926 .410 Lefever Nitro Special which sold for $15 new. They were hardwarestore guns and very plain. I found this one on GunsAmerica and it had been restocked, engraved and gold inlayed. Basically, a rediculous amount of money was dumped into it by the previous owner. But it had some mechanical problems. It was off face (loose) and one barrel shot off target by about a foot at 40 yds. I fixed all the problems and hunted it for half a dozen years and shot the occasional round of skeet with it. I bagged a lot quail and my first .410 killed wild SD rooster with it.

I've bought a number of sxs .410s that I like better and I hadn't shot this one in a year.

Yesterday, it went to a new home. Sad to see it go, but I got a good price for it.

LeonStagg

Post by LeonStagg » Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Tri-star 3.5 in. 12 gauge Mag Hunter. Cheap, durable, dependable, and swings nicely. It's all I use, with the exception of my Remington 870 in 20 gauge for dove.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 am

An old Sauer 16 ga....if I miss twice, the bird wins.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Those old Sauer's are built like bank vaults and finely fitted mechanisms too.

gettin'birdie

Post by gettin'birdie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Beretta o/u and autoloaders with the exception of one franchi auto in 28ga.

SwampDog

Post by SwampDog » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:26 am

my go to field gun is a franchi renaissance sporting
my main workhorse for waterfowl is the Benelli Super Black Eagle 2
back up waterfowl gun is the Beretta a400 unico extreme

Cory

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Dad gave me a new JC Higgins Model 20 pump 12 ga with powerpac chokes in 1958. I used it 30 to 40 days a year hunting upland for 50 years. Gave it to my grand daughter in 2008. She has used it 200 days hunting waterfowl. I always shot well with it. I have a 20 gauge Beretta Silver Hawk SXS now and I am trying to trade with my grand daughter to get my old model 20 back.

Best gun is the one that fits and that you shoot well.

marc

Post by marc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:43 pm

I'm a right-handed person who shoots lefty due to my eye dominance being left. For ruffed grouse and other upland birds, I regularly use my Ithaca M37 Featherlight in 16ga. I received it as a birthday gift when I turned 13 - 41years ago! It's a look and shoot gun for me. However, I like to mix it up and miss with several others. For one, an old Bernadelli folding shotgun in 20ga. It's a single shot hammerless - the trigger guard slides rearward to break the action - and weighs maybe 3 pounds. It's cast a lot for righties, and I can't hit a "bleep" thing with it. I used it for long hunts because it weighs less than the shells in my jacket. I hesitate to try hot oil bending, because the stock is so delicate.

I also use a custom Huglu (pre-CZ) SxS in 12ga., English stock. My gun broker ordered it with a raw receiver and had Doug Turnbull case color it, in the hopes of regular production runs. I'm pretty sure it's the only Huglu he did, because right after that Huglu got funny with importation and CZ got the rights. Beautiful gun if you don't inspect the barrel bluing! I can actually hit birds with it, which is a plus.

For turkeys and pheasant I also use an M37 in 12ga with exhibition-grade wood. It's a nice gun, but with a vent rib, I don't point with it the same I do with the 16ga.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 am

1923 LC Smith Trap Grade. 20ga with 26" barrels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:12 pm

1955 my dad gave me a JC Higgins Model 20 12 Gauge Pump with Pachmayr Power Pack for my birthday (10 Years). I've used it every year since. Noticed how heavy it really is a few years ago and bought a CZ Bobwhite 28 gauge for Quail hunting, but still use the pump for Ducks and quail.

Osage

Post by Osage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Browning A500R 12g and a rem 870 20g. Haven't seem many of those browning's around. Guess they weren't popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Osage

Post by Osage » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Browning A500R 12g and sometimes a rem 870 20g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JJWISE

Post by JJWISE » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Mossberg 500 12ga for waterfowl and small game. H+R Excell Auto 12ga for just about everything else that flies. I just bought my first 20ga, mostly for my wife, and plan to try it for doves and quail this year.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

I use my trusty Remington 870 12ga. I had a Wingmaster in 20ga for a while but sold it because I wasn't crazy about the fixed full choke... Wish I would have kept it.
I was saving up to buy either a Citori or Beretta 686 but ended up buying a dog instead. Definitely a better purchase to further my hunting career haha. Someday I will get a nice O/U.

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:34 am

I primary only hunt grouse and pheasant and use a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard that I've had for about 20 years. After a goose hunting trip this year where I ended up with a clump of mud jammed in the trigger assembly and saw how well other peoples 3.5" shells were knocking them down I also bought a Winchester SXP that will be my goose and bad weather gun. I tried it once so far while pheasant hunting and it's hard to remember to pump after shooting a semi for so long :oops:

jstevens

Post by jstevens » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

I shoot quail and pheasants with a 28 ga Ugartechea sxs, and have for years, even SD pheasants. It is IC/Mod, shoot an ounce of 5's on pheasants. I recently got a Fausti Dea SL 20 ga sxs that I like a lot, so may use it some, but the 5-lb weight of the Uggie is pretty attractive! I shoot my old 1100 trap for ducks, usually shoot Kent Bismuth. If I could shoot lead, I'd find something different.

hfurnbach

Post by hfurnbach » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:13 am

I am still using a Ruger Red Label 20ga with an original blued receiver with fixed chokes skeet/skeet. I have mostly hunted over pointing dogs so, the fixed chokes are fine. I also hunt in areas with woodcock filghts.

SidexSide

Post by SidexSide » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U, 870 express pump, and a Stoeger Uplander Supreme SxS - all 12 ga.

My Beretta looks nice, the pump makes a nice sound in the event of intruders, but I only hunt with side by sides.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:10 am

I use a 1948 ou Velmet skeet /skeet 16ga. 5.5 lbs for quail. Browning Cintori ou 20ga for all other. Have a 1939 16 ga mod 31 Remington modified with a Herters, broadway rib and poly choke, but I would rather have the light guns than the 3rd shot.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:39 am

Currently Im using an 870 for reliability sake since I mainly hunt marshes for duck but I had a Charles Daly 600 growing up that I honestly preferred over our 1100s. Cheaper, lighter, noticeably less punishing on days that required a lot of shooting, and a button on the side to chamber a shell so nobody ever pinched their fingers lol. Not the type of gun you hand down but for an all around hunting gun you can beat up it had great value. Killed hundreds of birds with mine but Charles Daly guns reliability seem to vary based on when it was manufactured. Theyve definitely been making improvements in their newer products from what Ive heard. Not much of an issue either way since they come with a lifetime warranty as well.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 pm

12 ga. 870 is my go to gun. Stoeger Uplander 20ga for grouse and quail.

terrym

Post by terrym » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 am

Ever since I had my Citori Feather Lightning's LOP shortened a bit I shoot it great. It's a 20g and weighs 6.0lbs. Actually considering selling my Merkel 20 SxS as I never carry it anymore.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

jpowell44

Post by jpowell44 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 am

Ruger Red Label 12 or Benelli M1 super 90 depending on the weather and what I am hunting. I have also got a Stevens 20 side by side that sees a little action occasionally.

steve223

Post by steve223 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:48 pm

I shoot a 69 model Winchester101 12 gauge that has a full set of tubes 20,28, and 410. I shoot 20 and 28 the most., A 72 Ithaca model37 20 gauge feather weight. And a Mossberg 500 3" 12 gauge that's my coyote and turkey gun.
there old but I like them a bunch!
Steve

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:23 pm

Saved up paper route money to buy a Sears JC Higgins Model 20 12 Gauge Pump in 1959. Used it on all hunts until 2012. Got old and tired of carrying the 8.5 pound gun around. Have a two Setters with great noses, so I started using a 5.5 pound CZ Bobwhite 28 Gauge and let the dogs do the work to get me within range.

Still use the Model 20 for ducks over water, but jump shoot field ducks with the Bobwhite, and yes the Setters do point and retrieve the field/ditch ducks, except in real cold weather.

tmensonides
Location: Gig Harbor, WA (hunt duck on family farm in Roy, WA & Upland East of the Mountains)

Post by tmensonides » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Bought a BPS 12 gauge stalker with engraving when I was 14 or 15 and hunted with that until 2017, just had it cerakoted to clean it up a bit, kept it black but had them drop silver in the engraving...looks fantastic.

Bought a BPS 12 Gauge Upland special with a english straight stock and 22" barrel and it isn't to much lighter but it swings so quick with quail in nasty brush, I'm loving it.

Someday I'll graduate to an O/U or SxS lol...

I use the longer barrel BPS for ducks only now.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:59 pm

20ga Beretta 686 Onyx. 21 years old this season and never one issue. Have killed everything from quail to goose with it although now for quail I use a 28ga Renato Gamba Princepessa SxS.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

AtTheMurph wrote:20ga Beretta 686 Onyx. 21 years old this season and never one issue. Have killed everything from quail to goose with it although now for quail I use a 28ga Renato Gamba Princepessa SxS.

Nice gun.But ..you really shoot goose with a 20? Hevi-shot increases striking power (I've occasionally used it on pheasant with a 20),but..geese?

I mostly shoot a Browning BSS Sporter (straight stock:28") with Briley thinwall chokes. The Brileys really increase the flexibility of the gun. If it were pheasant, I'd use a 16 or 12g.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:42 pm

AtTheMurph wrote:20ga Beretta 686 Onyx. 21 years old this season and never one issue. Have killed everything from quail to goose with it although now for quail I use a 28ga Renato Gamba Princepessa SxS.
Best looking gun in the Beretta line-up hands down IMO, unfortunately the lumber is lacking in most cases.

H2O dawg

Post by H2O dawg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 am

Waterfowl - Benelli M2
Dove shooting early season 410 Browning Skeet Citori , late season the Benelli.
Last edited by H2O dawg on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:37 am

I've got an Ithica mod 37 in 16ga that I've never fire! Also have three AyA Matador's in 16ga, 28ga and 410. Hunting I generally take my 28ga and either the 16 or if looking for grouse, the 410. Been lot of years since I've fired anything other than a SxS.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

roxythebrittany

Post by roxythebrittany » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle that is fantastic for upland and ducks. Love it. It's the original model with a wood stock, but a wetlands camo version would be fun to have.
RoxyTheBrittany on Instagram:Image
Just a Brittany - not a spaniel...

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 am

Guys that are serious about golf like their Callaway, Ping, Taylormade clubs. Typically, they are playing at a certain level and the extra $$$ contributes to their experience if not their handicap. Guns are not dissimilar in this regard, IMO.
I feel an upland bird gun should be a bit like a lady - sleek, svelte, nimble and with curves in the right places. Having a gun that simply goes "boom" when I pull the trigger deprives me of my over-all experience - and not just because it makes me a better shot. Then again, if you have never had this experience, you don't miss it.
I also believe that anything that shoots 3 rounds is best saved for waterfowling.
I shoot an older Bernardelli Roma 6E with 27 1/2" barrels - fixed chokes (again, my preference) in 20 gauge. I have used it effectively from game farm pheasants/chukars to wild grouse, woodcock, Bobwhite, Huns, sharptail, chickens, Gambels, Mearns, scalies.
Any issues I might have with this gun are co-incidentally in close proximity to the stock, trigger and forestock. :wink: