Ouch!

tdhusker

Ouch!

Post by tdhusker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 am

The last Benelli Monte I bought was several years ago but I think I paid $550 for a used 20 ga. I was shopping around this weekend for a used 20 ga auto for my son and I am in disbelief. I didn't see a one for less than 800 clams. YIKES! What on earth makes these guns worth that kind of dough? They can't cost any more than an 870 to produce, with their platic stocks and all of that and they are priced at $1200+ new! I suspect I won't be buying the kid a Benelli or Beretta 20.

I have 3 Benelli's I have owned for over 10 years. They've been excellent guns but I fear the market has outpaced my budget. Any suggestions on small-framed 20ga auto's? Quality and dependability are first and foremost. I dont' really like gas operated guns but it looks like I'll have to go that route. I'm thinking something in the $600 range.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Ouch!

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:28 am

you can thank the very weak US Dollar...you pretty much asked the question I asked the other day.

Franchi which is part of Berreta/Benelli group has a some very well priced Italian-made semi's in short stocks..look at the 48 al, costs between 600 - 700 depending where you look. 5.5lbs

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:22 pm

You can also thank the popularity of the brand name for those prices. When Winchester and Remington were the supposed "best you could buy" Benelli and Beretta were fairly reasonably priced and now that Benelli and Beretta are the "best you can buy" they charge an arm and a leg for a decent gun. In a few years someone else will be the big name and they will charge and arm and a leg and you will be able to pick up a used Benelli or Beretta fairly cheap.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Did you consider a Stoeger 2000? They are also a division of Benelli just upstairs in the same building. Had a Stoeger over and under get lost downstairs at Benelli for 3 weeks one time that's how I know. :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeah Stoeger is owned by the Beretta family just that line is made in Turkey. CZ's are made in Turkey as well, they are pretty nice. There is a lighter model as well as a short stock 0/U that would fit a teenager.

You can buy two or three CZ's for the price you pay for a Citori or Beretta 686, mid-grades.

Muskmelon

Post by Muskmelon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Picked up a used Remington 1100 20LT with a fixed Modified vent rib barrel for my son today. $269 and it is in perfect working order, no scratches or rust on metal and normal handling dings on the wood - no cracks. Now all 3 of my boys have one. Less recoil than a Benelli easy to care for and indestructible. Many shooting instructors start people out on 1100's. If you keep your eyes peeled, they are out there. The good deals sell in hours, not days.Yes its a gas gun, but a trained chimp can clean and maintain an 1100.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 pm

Sounds like you found a heck of a deal there. Congratulations and I am sure your son will love it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 am

that sure is, nice axe there

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:09 am

A couple weeks ago I bought a Beretta 686 s.p. 20 ga in new condition with some nice Briley chokes for $1200. I also bought a youth stock for my Monte 20 and the kid shoots it like a house afire. All is good but certainly not under budget at this point. I need to thin down the firearms a bit, it's getting a little out of hand.

I have shot a number of pheasants with the Beretta 20, am getting along good with it so one of the Benelli's should probably go down the road, starting with the Monte 12. It's got great looking wood, is in good shape if someone is interested.