New Quail Gun and Just in Time for Season

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

New Quail Gun and Just in Time for Season

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:46 am

Here is the Yildiz 20 gauge I just picked up last night at Academy and just in time for quail season here in Oklahoma in November. I actually made the salesman show me 4 other guns same brand and model before deciding on this one because of the black grains in the wood. That is what I really like about the Yildiz no cookie cutter pattern or color on the wood, it is all different. Well that and the inexpensive price and the super tight action. When you first buy one you really have to work at it to break open the action.

MillerClemsonHD

Re: New Quail Gun and Just in Time for Season

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 am

I have one as well and love it. I have killed a few doves, a sharpie and a couple of chickens with it already. Will have some quail and maybe a ruff grouse or 2 by the end of the year. If you only had him show you 4 you were an easy customer. I went through about 15 before I found the wood I liked.

I love a lightweight, fast swinging gun.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:46 am

I also have one in 12 gauge that I bought a year and a half ago and if I had known then that the wood was different on every gun I would have went through several of those before choosing but I just took the first one they showed me. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess but the gun still shoots just as well and I am still happy with it.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 am

you guys are lucky, you cant get them anywhere in the northeast, not one place..only Academy Sports.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Really sharp shotgun! That stock has nice figure... good choice. Good luck with it this fall!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks I appreciate and the price was right on it too. :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:30 pm

That is a nice looking gun Tommy!! I have been meaning to ask you, what load and shot size do you use for the Blue Quail out there?

I am shooting a CZ 20guage, and generally use 7/8 oz. of #71/2 shot for Bobwhite quail.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:33 am

I usually use the same load or occasionally 8 shot will do the trick as well. Later in the season I have even used 6 shot. Blue quail are like hunting miniature pheasant. They act about the same. So like with late season pheasant you use larger shot for farther shots the same applies to blues.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:01 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I usually use the same load or occasionally 8 shot will do the trick as well. Later in the season I have even used 6 shot. Blue quail are like hunting miniature pheasant. They act about the same. So like with late season pheasant you use larger shot for farther shots the same applies to blues.
Thanks tommy, that is what I was curious about.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:15 am

I am picking up a new CZ Redhead 20 gauge on Monday, paid $795 with tax. Frankly, I could have bought a whole set of CZ's for what I spent on the Browning..oh well.

I think a 28 gauge Ringneck is on the Christmas list.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:16 pm

You know expensive guns are like strippers- nice to look at but nothing you want to take home to mom. I would rather have 2 or 3 medium priced to inexpensive guns that I can take out and shoot with no fear of scratching or denting than one expensive gun that sits at home in the cabinet because I am too afraid to get it out.

I think you will be really happy with your CZ but you would probably have been a lot happier with a Yildiz and about an extra $400 left in your pocket. :P Sorry I had to give you heck about it.