Tristar Viper OR CZ 720

gspkimber

Tristar Viper OR CZ 720

Post by gspkimber » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Anybody had any experience with the TRISTAR VIPER shotgun? What about the CZ 720? Just wanted to get your opinions...

Kyle Wintersteen

Re: Tristar Viper OR CZ 720

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:54 am

I hunted pheasants with the Viper earlier this month. Good gun for well under $500. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Had a Tri-Star O/U 20ga. several years ago. Worked pretty well and I killed a lot of birds with it. It was rather heavy for a 20 ga. I have handled a CZ, but not shot one. They felt like really nice guns. I would guess it is worth the extra coin for the CZ. JMO

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Who makes the guns for Tri-Star? The CZ's are made by Huglu, perhaps so are the tri-stars. I have a Citori, a CZ Redhead and an older Ithaca 37. I bought both the CZ & Browning from a local shop owned by the same guy for over 50 years who knows his stuff and whose honesty is well known. Other people on here from NJ might know Gene at EH Salomon as well. When I bought the Citori he said you know you can buy 3 CZ's for the price of this Browning and they are very well made guns, not better but well made. CZ is a pretty well known company so for a couple extra bucks it might be a better deal especially if you ever want to sell it. The Citori is quite a piece but my $800 Redhead is pretty darn nice. I suspect that the CZ 720 is nice as well.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:43 pm

I've got a tristar TRSC-304.It's a 20/28 combo with 27 inch barrells in each gauge.It was made by Emillio Rizzini,It's also a Ducks unlimited gun with the gold duck head inlay in the bottom of the reciever.My buddy got it in trade for some remodel work for a wealthy man,my buddy couldn't hit squat all with it(it's really high stocked)but I could hit good with it,He called one day and wanted to know if I wanted to buy it for 1500 bucks.....................Sold.It's to pretty to hunt with so I use it for skeet/sporting clays on nice days.I've killed some birds with it,my old lady shot her first bird with it,but when she dropped it to run over and get her bird I ran over to the gun and freaked out on her.Needless to say she doesn't hunt with me anymore after the cussing I gave her over dropping it on the ground.It came away unscathed but that wasn't the point.Why is it that women are drawn to the most expensive gun you own?

For whatever it's worth,I've got a CZ too and after having a slight problem with the tristar doubling with the 28 barrels attached.I tried 6 times to email tristar to find an authorized gunsmith to look at the problem.None of my emails were awnsered.They get a big thumbs down in customer service from me which is why I'd reccomend the CZ over the tristar.A fellow at the skeet field has a CZ that had a problem mechanically and they got it fixed pronto,good customer service.

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21 pm

TriStars are made in Turkey. It's worth noting that the company is under new management and the quality of its shotguns are much improved over just a few years ago.