SKB's

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

SKB's

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am

I have been meaning to ask this question. Does anyone think that the mechanical quality of an SKB is on par with a Berreta, Guerini, Zoli, Browning, B. Rizzini, and any other high-end gun. Styling perhaps is not on par, but that is is subjective. To me the mechanics seem great, espcially the feel of the lock-up, but I dont see them that much. If they are, they seem like a great deal.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: SKB's

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 am

mcbosco wrote:I have been meaning to ask this question. Does anyone think that the mechanical quality of an SKB is on par with a Berreta, Guerini, Zoli, Browning, B. Rizzini, and any other high-end gun. Styling perhaps is not on par, but that is is subjective. To me the mechanics seem great, espcially the feel of the lock-up, but I dont see them that much. If they are, they seem like a great deal.
I shot with a guy that shot the fire out of one at skeet. He must have put thousands of rounds through it. Never saw it break. They struck me as being very solid.

I'd rather put my money in a Beretta, though.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 am

The SKB I messed with reminded me of a Merkel it had a pronounced shoulder on the receiver. Built like a brick shoot house for $1,500.

The new Berreta SV10's are nice.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:33 pm

mcbosco wrote:The SKB I messed with reminded me of a Merkel it had a pronounced shoulder on the receiver. Built like a brick shoot house for $1,500.

The new Berreta SV10's are nice.
That shoulder is from the Greener crossbolt system that they share. It's very solid. I just like it better on SxSs than O/Us.

I've have three Beretta O/Us. All are built like bank vaults, are easy to work on, and feel great in my hands. I like the lockup system that the Beretta, Perazzi and I guess the related Italian O/Us use. It's appealing to the eye, makes for a shallow receiver and keeps the balance lower in the hands.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Berreta really nails down the details and covers a wide price point without sacrifing quality. You are right they just feel right. If you ever come to NYC you have to go to the store on Madison.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 am

To answer the original question, IMO the SKB action is as strong & the overall mechanical design is as sound as any of the other guns you mention. For a hunter, or casual clays shooter, all will outlast the shooter. For the volume shooter, the Beretta leads the class not because the action is necessarily stronger, but because the action can be rebuilt so easily and additional barrels, replacement wood and parts acquired widely available.

Having said that, SKB seems to be chasing a part of the market that Beretta has not, which is the entry level clays shooter looking for an appropriate gun in the sub $2k market. Jaquas has a GC7 clays gun with 30" barrels and an adjustable comb for $1425. On the field side, they have a 20/28 gauge 2 barrel set for $2k.

SKB may not be a great choice for the guy who plans on trading up, or wants to easily get out of a gun and get his $ back. But for the guy who wants a dedicated clays gun built for those games, or is looking for a multi-barrel set under $2500, and is interested in a great shooter that he plans on keeping, the SKB may be a real steal.

I will say the SKB 500/505 guns are IMO by the far the best value in used O/Us commonly available. You can find a fixed choke 500 for $500 or a choke tubed 505 for $750 pretty quickly. I'd take a used SKB before a new Turkish-built gun any time.

FWIW,
Dave

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 am

I was on Jaquas site and missed the fact that gun had an adjustable comb...hmmmmm

http://www.shotgunlife.com/Peer-Review/ ... l-set.html

Interesting review on the 3 barrel set.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 am

I am a big SKB fan. I don't shoot clays but have two model 200E's in 20 gauge and a model 600 in 410 bore that have served me well for many years of hunting and dog training. I agree that the older guns are much better than the new Turkish made models.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am

SKB is making/marketing shotguns made in Turkey? That would surprise me to the point of stupification. The greedy Cerebus crowd that bought Remington, yes. SKB no.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 am

highcotton wrote:I am a big SKB fan. I don't shoot clays but have two model 200E's in 20 gauge and a model 600 in 410 bore that have served me well for many years of hunting and dog training. I agree that the older guns are much better than the new Turkish made models.

I think what the original poster was trying to say is that he would buy a used SKB instead of, say, a new CZ-Huglu for about the same money. SKB's are made in Japan and they are vault-like quality. Had the new SKB GC7 come in an oil finish I would have bought it and not done as much work the past few weeks researching guns, but on the other hand it was fun.

I have a CZ-Huglu Redhead and it works just fine and was a good deal but mechanically its no where near an SKB, Beretta, Zoli Rizzini, etc. I actually bought a B. Rizzini Vertex yesterday after trying/shooting a wide range of guns and chatting with a couple independent gunsmiths. It felt the best to me, build is great and the look is dead on. If the shiny urethane doesn't bother you the SKB is pretty much a no-brainer if $1,200 - $1,400 is in the budget.

claybuster_aa

Post by claybuster_aa » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 pm

No complaints here with my Ithaca SKB 20 guage 200E Skt/Skt S/S. I don't shoot it too often though, I just wanted to own one and only have about a dozen boxes through it. My Beretta Silver Pigeon 12 is my main shooter for skeet. I am a firm believer in stick with the same gun for skeet.
A good bird dog is always the right color

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm

I'd have an SKB SxS for hunting in a heartbeat!

Greg J.