The NOVA

labman21

The NOVA

Post by labman21 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:56 pm

I own a 12 guage Benelli Nova Pump, and I am confused. I have been reading reviews on this gun and have been seeing complaints about the weight of this gun, in my opinion it is the lightest 12 guage I have ever shot. Also complaints about the kick of it. Unless you are shooting a 3.5 inch turkey magnum load I think it is fine. Now tell me, am I looking at a bunch of babies reviews, or do I have serious nerve damage and the strength of atlas because I think these comments are outrageous.

I am a 140 lb, 16 year old boy. What's up?

Anybody who has shot a Nova tell me what you think,please.

Sorry if you have these complaints though :lol:

p.s ( I own a full sized adult model)
A dog is only as good as his trainer.

lightonthebay

Re: The NOVA

Post by lightonthebay » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:20 am

labman21 wrote:I own a 12 guage Benelli Nova Pump, and I am confused. I have been reading reviews on this gun and have been seeing complaints about the weight of this gun, in my opinion it is the lightest 12 guage I have ever shot. Also complaints about the kick of it. Unless you are shooting a 3.5 inch turkey magnum load I think it is fine. Now tell me, am I looking at a bunch of babies reviews, or do I have serious nerve damage and the strength of atlas because I think these comments are outrageous.

I am a 140 lb, 16 year old boy. What's up?

Anybody who has shot a Nova tell me what you think,please.

Sorry if you have these complaints though :lol:

p.s ( I own a full sized adult model)
Labman I think it is because you are "...a 140 lb, 16 year old boy" when so many of those who review the guns are fat, frail and old like me. Enjoy it; you'll pay someday!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:23 pm

OK,

I'm 47 years old, 6'2", 210 lbs. I don't have any problems that make me recoil sensitive. When I shot a Nova, I was shooting 2-3/4, 1-1/8 field loads.

The recoil was a bit more than the M-12s pumps that I like, but it wasn't severely annoying.

But, what was severely annoying was that it rattled in my hands like a motorcycle with a warped front rim and it pointed like a fence post.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:24 am

Pump is the only action where I think the "older" guns are better designed and better made, not that Novas & Supernovas are bad I actually like them. Greg is right, though, Model 12's, Model 37's, Wingmasters and similar guns just look, feel and shoot better.

I have an old model 37 Ithaca that is a dream, and the new ones based on that design but made with state of the art materials and manufacturing methods are even better. Once case where going backward is warranted.

check this puppy out:

6lbs, http://www.ithacagun.com/28gauge.html

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

3 of us actually took half a dozen guns out yesterday to shoot a box of clay birds. I shot the Nova but it seemed to me to be designed to sit in a duck blind all day as I sure didn't want to carry it in the field and try to swing it in heavy cover. Recoil wasn't out of line it just seemed bulky. The one we most enjoyed was my old Model 37 410. Seemed like it was half the weight and busted the clay birds just as well. Keep at it and you'll have a safe full of fowling pieces before you know it.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think the Nova is great mechanically. I just don't care *at all* for the way the forearm rattled in my hands. Pretty distracting. I also didn't like the way it pointed. OTOH, I hit every bird I shot at with it, so perhaps I shouldn't complain.

Greg J.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm

870 WIngmaster's are sweet little guns. I agree that NOVAs will shoot all day but feel a little clunky to me. JMO

Phezman

Post by Phezman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I like mine.

My Browning BPS is much heavier, relatively speaking. Others (Remington, S&W Pump) are about the same.

My Benelli autoloader is the lightest shotgun I own..

You cant please everybody, and thats what this review sounds like....theyre great guns

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm

I have a nova in 12 ga. i only notice the recoil when shooting a 3 inch or 3 1/2, with and extra full choke. I use it for a backup when upland hunting, it is alot better made that mossberg 500. The one thing that I hate about it is the safty is in front of the trigger. (I miss the saftey sometimes because my browning has the safty behind the trigger and I am used to that) There is a mercury recoil reducer available for them

jimmyp

Post by jimmyp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:05 pm

while i agree that the nova is a good gun and have shot probably 10 cases of duck and goose loads through mine, i have to say that there is quite a bit of felt recoil. Also i do feel that the gun is a little heavy to carry around a field all day. they are what they are and that is a cheap durable shotgun.
Jim
when I was 16 yo there wasn't a gun on the planet with too much recoil, youll grow outa that

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 pm

I own a SuperNova, & it's the first one I go for. Never had an issue with the forend rattling. Maybe there's a difference between the nova & super. The super also has a different stock which helps absorb recoil. I can go a round & a half of sporting clays before noticing the recoil too much. Can't say it's heavy either. I like the way it carries, shoots, & pumps. But that's just my $.02.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I don't remember it being heavy. Lighter than my M-12 for sure.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:59 pm

I have posted my opinion before concerning the Nova's recoil but for some reason I feel the need to repeat it.

I purchased one when they first introduced them a few years ago. I got it strictly for hunting waterfowl and at the time thought I wanted something to shoot 3 1/2" shells.

I patterned the gun with some 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz loads and found the recoil to be well within the acceptable range. I did not buy any 3 1/2" shells until the night before my first hunting trip.

So here I am at sun up with my Nova loaded with 3 1/2" shells and the first flight of Mallards start working. I shoot a cupped greenhead righ over the decoys. Although I am guilty of "cheeking" my gun harder than most folks I was not prepared for the blast from that cannon. :? By the time I got my glasses back on my face and my head cleared I decided I had no need for a 3 1/2" gun. :) I managed to get through the morning hunt with the Nova (headache and all) but had already decided it was not a gun for me.

The recoil from the Nova is by far the worst kicking thing I have ever shot. And that includes the time a 12 gauge Red Label doubled on me with two high brass copper plated sixes.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 am

Was it the Nova, or was it the 3-1/2" shells. Those things are snot slingers in any gun.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Since none of my double guns are rated for steel shot. I went with the Nova, not because I liked it but, because of it's price. I saw the Nova as a way to shoot steel without spending a lot of money. After learning I didn't want to punish myself with 3 1/2" shells I traded it and got a Benelli Ultra Light. It's recoil even with 3" shells is hardly noticeable. It also points a lot better and doesn't rattle. :)