Grandfather's Browning A5

bruns333

Grandfather's Browning A5

Post by bruns333 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 am

I am pleased that I just was given my Grandfather's Browning A5 shotgun yesterday. He died when I was younger and I didn't know his shotgun was given to a friend of the family. I just got it back and it appears to be pretty old. Serial number is 273211 12G 2 3/4" shells. I think this family friend had a new barrel put on it, because I remember hearing about it being bent a little. What do you folks know about these guns? It feels pretty heavy. I have not shot it yet.

Matt

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Grandfather's Browning A5

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

As long as you do minimal cleaning, they are utterly reliable. Do not try to disassemble the bolt till someone with experience shows you how. It's complicated.

Compared to gas-operated autos, they kick quite a bit. For that reason, where I grew up, folks called them "Browning Snot Slingers".

The steel is sometimes more prone to rusting than modern steels. Take care with it. Elsewhere in this forum, I recommended Eezox for corrosion protection. You can do a search or just google it. If you find a link to 6mmbr.com, it's a study that was done. It's very worth glancing at.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:14 pm

bruns333 wrote:I am pleased that I just was given my Grandfather's Browning A5 shotgun yesterday. He died when I was younger and I didn't know his shotgun was given to a friend of the family. I just got it back and it appears to be pretty old. Serial number is 273211 12G 2 3/4" shells. I think this family friend had a new barrel put on it, because I remember hearing about it being bent a little. What do you folks know about these guns? It feels pretty heavy. I have not shot it yet.

Matt
It looks like that gun was made in 1949. I would have an expert give it the once over but I wouldn't recondition it. Use it.

Any engraving? Wood grade?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 pm

While I'm thinking about it, do NOT shoot any non-toxic shot not explicitly labeled as safe for older shotguns.

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am

You've got yourself a classic! The Belgian A-5 was the prestige gun of its day. If you plan to shoot it, I'd have a gunsmith give it a once over to ensure it's still safe to operate.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:02 pm

I traded for an A-5 a few years ago and have used it several times. It is heavy to carry but is a nice shooting gun. Have several friends who hunt with one and have never had a problem with them if they are cleaned occasionally.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

They are great guns, I learned to shoot with one. I also have my grandfathers he left me when he passed away, it manufactured in 1952. He also included the original reciept, $118 from Montgomery Ward, my newer Browning was alot more.

Someone earlier mentioned they kick alot, I do not think so. Look and see how your friction ring is positioned. If it is on top of the spring it is set for heavy loads, if it is under the spring (against the reciever) is is set for light loads. If it is set for heavy loads it will kick like a mule.

Also if it is a true Belgium Browning it would be older, pre WW2. Any of them with a serial number that dates them after 1945 were probably made in St Louis, and I believe some were made in Japan also.