O/U for a lanky dude...

mofro14

O/U for a lanky dude...

Post by mofro14 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I am in the early stages of looking for a over/under for hunting and was just looking for some general direction for starting up. My main question is that I am a tall guy and have long arms even for my height, built like a monkey basically, just wondering if any taller guys out there have found guns that fit good out of the box or if there are any easy mods to help with this? Any other general pointers on a decent O/U's under $1750.00 would be appreciated also.

vzkennels

Re: O/U for a lanky dude...

Post by vzkennels » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 am

I believe the Berettas have the longer LOP then most over the counter guns.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 am

I shoot a 16" LOP on O/Us for targets, 15" is fine in the woods....any stock can be lengthened.
Make is irrelevent.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

There are lots of good o/u's at that price point new and used. The market is flooded right now. Lenght of pull is longer on a Berretta. I would look for a Silver Pigeon or White Onyx used.

The SKB GC7 probably has a lenght of pull like a Citori, which is about 3/8th inch shorter than a Berretta. The SKB goes for about $1,200 - $1,400 new. Nice sturdy gun if you like a gloss finish.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Those gloss finishes on the wood can be toned down with some #0000 steel wool & a little rubbing compound if that is the only problem.
Yes all stocks can be lengthened or shortened if need be but he said out of the box.
I own a Beretta 686 onyx but have short arms & had to have it shortened so it didn't stick in my arm pit everytime I raised it.
I also have an SKB o/u & is the some LOP I had the Beretta shotened to.Without any modification the Berettas will probably fit you best.Just go & try a few different brands to see & make your decision from there.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

What do you want to use it for?

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:59 pm

I would be using the gun mostly for hunting, pheasant and grouse, but would also use it for some NAVHDA tests since it would be my only break action gun. I don't mind modifying the gun if that is what it takes but would like to be able to know the gun is going to fit good before i bring it home, do they let you try a mod on a gun that you haven't purchased yet in the store?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:20 pm

You can buy a slip-on pad of various types to lengthen the stock while in a store.
But a gun can feel fine in a store and less so when shot.

LOP is the least important fit factor, to me.
Most folks can adjust.
Also, utilizing a LOP of greater than standard length often requires a perfect and repeatable mount which takes practice.

Comb design, pitch, grip dimensions, etc. can affect how a gun fits, feels and inspires confidence.
Whether it slaps one in the cheek takes shooting.

Personally, I would buy the O/U that fits your price point, has a reasonable reputation and simply seems right.
Adjust as necessary for individual need after that.
Used Berettas are a bargain and can be made new fairly easily by someone like Cole.
They are also far easier to clean than a Browning, for example.
Have fun in the search.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:39 pm

If you're going to hunt with it and do NAVHDA tests, I'd avoid going to the Silver Pigeon or upper end. I don't know about you, but it would make me sick to knock the crap out of my $1,750 O/U.

Check out a used SKB, Ruger Red Label or similar. Just verify that you get a 3 day inspection period, which is the norm.

As some of the folks on here have said, it's really pretty easy to change LOP on some shotguns. My new Rizzini, for example, has a very thin recoil pad. I could add a ton of length if I replaced it with a thick pad.

I'm 6'2". I can shoot a 14" LOP with no problems. My issue is that the new Rizzini is slightly long and has absolutely drop dead gorgeous wood. I'm very loathe to cut it off.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 pm

and Greg is not kidding about the wood.......also look at this link below, the SKB 505 is a bare bones field gun great buy with a matte finish:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/931658928/Gu ... D_12GA.htm

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 pm

I posted a link to a Ruger Red Label in new condition in this forum. The guy wanted $1,100 for it. You might be able to talk him off that too.

Greg J.

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the responses! Has anyone had luck finding a place to check out Yildiz (sp?) in the midwest? I have heard good things about these as far as what you get for the price.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:28 pm

yildiz are only available at academy sports and they wont ship

mofro14

Post by mofro14 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 pm

mcbosco wrote:yildiz are only available at academy sports and they wont ship
ok thats what I thought...just wanted to double check
Greg Jennings wrote:I posted a link to a Ruger Red Label in new condition in this forum. The guy wanted $1,100 for it. You might be able to talk him off that too.
Greg J.
That looks pretty nice, and the price isn't bad compared to some prices I see on the Cabelas used gun page.

I am gonna stop at Cabelas, I am lucky to live 5 miles away from one, and handle some of these and see what I think although it doesn't look like the have any used Rugers at the one by me so hopefully a new one is around.

Anyone have any opinion on Weatherby or C/Z O/U's?
Speaking of opinions, I keep waiting for ezzy to come and disagree with whatever mcbosco says, he seems to like doing that. :lol:

Thanks again for all the input.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 am

I have a CZ Redhead, 20 gauge. I paid $800 for it. I haven't had any problems with it but if you stood a CZ next to an SKB, Red Label, Browning or Berretta, you would see that CZ is not nearly, not even close the same quality.

If you can buy an SKB, Red Label or Citori for $900 - $1,000 get one of those. There is a version of the Citori Lightening that was done for SHOT that didn't sell well for some reason, probably because it is pretty bare bones that you should look at. I have seen it around for less than $1,000.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/998961474/Gu ... _color.htm

I would grab one of the new SKB 505's before they are gone.

Kyle Wintersteen

Post by Kyle Wintersteen » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 am

mofro,

Nothing wrong with the last few guns you mentioned, but I'm lanky too and like others in the thread I like Beretta o/u's best out of the box.

One other note: If you end up getting the stock tweaked, I would not, as someone suggested, go to Cole's. I had a really bad experience with them. I have, on the other hand, had very good experiences with Joel Etchen's in PA and also Umberger's in Ohio.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Interesting Cole comment...I have had 2 guns restocked and another repaired with no issues but positive ones on all fronts.
I would suggest that should anyone be interested in stockwork they consult some shooting/gun BBs to get a wide cross-section of views upon reputations, cost and satisfaction before selecting a busines....any company-customer connection can have bumps derived from both sides.

I shot Registered Trap with Brent Umberger and was in the Algonquins with him....he is quite the character, to say the least. :D
Did not realize he was still with us doing stockwork....good to hear.
Last I heard he had health concerns.
He has a lot of experience cuttin' wood.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:35 pm

Cole can be very cranky. There is a guy in princeton nj that worked at Krieghoff for 9 year that is supposedly top notch if anyone is near there.

sal

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 am

Are you guys talking about Coles in Brunswick, ME?
I brought two Ruger RL to be shortened and cast (bent?) I am drawing a blank on the proper term.The Ruger comes straight as an arrow.
They did well by me, were timely and helpful.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Garfed

Post by Garfed » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I took two Ruger RL will be shortened, and cast (bending?) I draw the correct term.The Ruger Straight as an arrow from the blank. They did well to me, is timely and useful....

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Mrofro14,
I have a lanky friend who has a long neck and he has loved the 20 Guage Ruger Red Label all his life, that is until I spoiled him with a Churchill 20 O/U,
course you don't buy a Churchill for no $1,800.
RGD/Dave

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:41 am

I'm 6'1.25" tall and my wingspan is 6'3"...dont know if that qualifies as lanky, but i love the way my CZ bobwhite feels. Although it is a SxS i believe its the same LOP as their O/U's.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)