CZ Guns

MNRichG911

CZ Guns

Post by MNRichG911 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:51 pm

Anyone ever shoot any of these guns? I am looking at a couple of them and not sure what I want. I am looking at the Redhead Deluxe 20ga and the ultralight 12 ga. Both are O/U. I am going to be using the gun for primarily hunting pheasants behind a pointing dog. What's everyone's thoughts?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: CZ Guns

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:19 pm

If you lived in a state or a neighboring state with an Academy Sports and Outdoors I would tell you to save yourself $200 and go buy a Yildiz O/U but since you live in MN I will tell you that my buddy shoots a CZ 20 and also a CZ 28 gauge and he shoots them well and really likes them. They seem to be really nice and compare nicely to the Yildiz which is what I shoot except the Yildiz has nicer wood and is less expensive than the CZ.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat May 01, 2010 6:33 am

I have a 20 gauge 28" and so far its has been totally reliable. I also have a Citori and an old Ithaca 37 but I find myself taking the CZ to skeet club more often than the others and the Ithaca in the field. I am waiting for a B. Rizzini so that will replace the CZ at skeet but I will keep it.

Mechanically it seems to be fine and they have a nice refined Beretta-like look but in that price range there might be a better choice in the SKB 505, which is a promotional price point gun. Perhaps you can find one. That is a pretty serious life-long field piece for about 1k. B. Rizzini also makes a price point gun called the Omnium that is really very nice too. It is few hundred more than the CZ but probably money well spent.

So i guess what I am saying is that I like my CZ but whether I would spend about $800 plus for it again, not sure with those two others out there. The mechanical quality is not comparable. Oh and one other thing the finish on the CZ is nice but its colored top coat and very hard to repair and prone to chips. The wood is ok so I might strip it down and put a proper oil finish on it.

SCKWEST

Post by SCKWEST » Fri May 07, 2010 8:06 pm

I shoot an o/u CZ 20 my friend shoots a CZ o/u 20 and a s/s 12 and his other hunting partner shoots a CZ s/s 20 and all of us have been very pleased with our guns without any complaints. Hope this helps out some. I think they put out a good product at a fair price. If you do some homework and research CZ scores very high in the gun comparisons. goodluck, sckwest

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sun May 09, 2010 4:10 pm

mcbosco wrote:B. Rizzini also makes a price point gun called the Omnium that is really very nice too. It is few hundred more than the CZ but probably money well spent.
I have an Omnium in 20 ga. and it is a fantastic little gun. Very light and responsive. It was definately worth the money in my mind. I was looking at the lower priced O/U's, but figured I'd spend a bit more for a nice quality gun. I'm not saying that the lower $$ ones aren't good, I'm sure they are. This one has a nicer fit and finish, and I got it used with only 3 boxes through it for a great price, so I jumped.

That being said, my friend has a CZ O/U in 20 ga. and he absolutely loves it. I've only shot it a couple of times during a round of skeet and I was impressed with it.

Tough decision when you are spending the $, but it will be a gun you will have for years to come. Sounds like you are doing your homework which is what you need to do!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 14, 2010 10:36 am

Just an update. TR Imports directly imports Huglus now to the US. Huglu makes all the CZ guns. Prices are better.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri May 14, 2010 10:53 am

A couple of years ago after pining for a 20 ga O/U i finally, pardon the pun, pulled the trigger. I bought a 20 ga CZ Canvasback, kinda just had intentions of using it a bit in the woods for grouse and kinda having it for shits and giggles.

I didnt take too long after using this gun a few times, that with the exception of late season pheasant, I leave my Ruger and Beretta O/Us at home. The CZ shoots well and I have never experienced a lick of trouble with it.