New Gun

tashaz33

New Gun

Post by tashaz33 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Hey there,
I'm looking to get a gun shortly. A new rifle I can use for varmit hunting. I'm getting into coyote hunting and need my own rifle. Any caliber suggestions? Any particular gun suggestions? Thanks!

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:56 pm

tashaz33,

It all depends on what you need the caliber to do. Are you planning on keeping the hides? Some calibers are better for not making huge exit holes and ruining the pelt. Do you want something that you can get ammo anywhere or do you reload?

Tell us a little more and we can help narrow it down for you.

Addict

billy

Post by billy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Have you seen a Ruger 17 caliber rifle outfitted with a scope? It is on my wish list of hunting gear. Real NICE!

tradhuntr

Re: New Gun

Post by tradhuntr » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:12 am

tashaz33 wrote:Hey there,
I'm looking to get a gun shortly. A new rifle I can use for varmit hunting. I'm getting into coyote hunting and need my own rifle. Any caliber suggestions? Any particular gun suggestions? Thanks!
I would recommend a 222 or 223cal. for a good varmit cartridge. because it is a flat shooting cartridge that can make the kill on a coyote out to 400 yards easily. also it is small caliber so its not going to destroy the pelt. they can be bought any where and they are cheaper then the larger 30 caliber bullets. i would also look into ballistic tip bullets for this caliber.
but if you want longer range and more knock down power go with the 308cal. it can be shot up to 1000 yards if you like. and also can be used to hunt deer. a 308 is good cartridge with such a wide range of bullet weights that it could be used for any big game and varmints in America.

for a Rifle, if you can find one i would get the Remington 700 BDL varmit. this rife is your best bet for varmits in my opinion. this is also the rifle used in the military for there sniper teams 8) and they are shooting a 308cal.
cost for a good varmit set up i would look to spend up to and maybe more then $1000. that would include your rifle,scope, and a bi pod thats if you want one, but I would recommend one.

hope this helps! go get em :shock:

tradhuntr

Post by tradhuntr » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:28 am

billy wrote:Have you seen a Ruger 17 caliber rifle outfitted with a scope? It is on my wish list of hunting gear. Real NICE!
yes they are vary nice but i don't think that this would be a good choose in caliber for coyotes, for smaller varmits like ground hogs and prairie dogs yes. in some states you can use this caliber for small game hunting and turkeys. :shock:

but then again i have never used this caliber before, but It would be about the same as a Ruger 22 hornet witch i have used. if he is looking to shots less then 100 yards i would say yes it would work.

the biggest reason i disagree with this caliber for coyotes is, i want to make sure i kill the animal. I don't want any wounded animal running around.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:26 am

I shoot a .223 and a 22-250 I like them both. If I could only have one, I would probably go with the .223 because ammo is everywhere.
I also have interest in the .204 Ruger. That round is catching on and is smokin' fast.
Take a hard look at the CZ rifles. Another affordable well made rifle is the Howa lightning. Same gun as the Weatherby Vanguard and you don't have to pay extra for the Weatherby name. :)

Flyingm

Post by Flyingm » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Get a 6MM Remington. It can double as a deer rifle.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:39 pm

Recently I purchased a 7mm Remington Ultra mag. Its a fairly new cartridge but very versitile. We have chrono'd 160grain bullets at just over 3250. You can spit out a 100 grain bullet at 3800 fps which I think is faster than even a 22-250 with a much larger lead, very hard on the coyote population around here :lol: . Reports say its 20% flatter shooting than the 7 mag. I shot an elk with it this last year, I was very surprised at the minimal amount of blood shot meat. I will have to say that there is not much available for different loads. We reload so it hasnt been a big deal!

All in all .223 is probably my favorite round for varmit.

Scott

Post by Scott » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:42 pm

I meant to add that the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag kicks a bit. Of course I never really notice it when busting coyotes and didnt even hear it when I shot my elk this year.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 pm

A 22- 250 is all you would ever need. yotes are thin skinned and that little bullet moves we hand load ours and are getting 4000 fps at the barrel. that 7mm ultra mags is way to much gun and way more cost per round. Not to mention the abuse that you will take shooting it.

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:27 am

Addict wrote:tashaz33,

It all depends on what you need the caliber to do. Are you planning on keeping the hides? Some calibers are better for not making huge exit holes and ruining the pelt. Do you want something that you can get ammo anywhere or do you reload?

Tell us a little more and we can help narrow it down for you.

Addict
I agree, also what rifles to have now? If this is going to be your only rifle I would look more at the the mid cal rifles that can offer some dual hunting purposes. 6mm, 240 wby,257 roberts or wby, 260 Rem if you don't mind looking for ammo & paying a little more. If you prefer finding ammo w/o a problem I would look more at the 243, 25-06. The 243 is my choice & I have used it on hogs, deer & coyotes for the last 15+ years.

These gun can double as a varmit/deer rifle. If you already have a larger cal rifle & soley looking for a coyote gun I would look at the 204 ruger & all the 22 cals out there.

I really like the 22-250 & 220 Swift only becuase I hand load my own shells. If I didn't I would lean more towards the 223 as shells are easy to find & cheap.

ShadowChaser

Post by ShadowChaser » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:14 pm

I have a 222 and like it, but wish I had gotten a 223 for the round availability.