Can you believe...I'm that stupid?

Mollyontherun

Can you believe...I'm that stupid?

Post by Mollyontherun » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Spent last August target shooting, patterning, and Pheasant preserve hunting with #4 and #2 steel in my 20 g.

Tomorrow is opening day for youth and I pulled out the bag with the E-collars and chokes to clean up and change batteries.

Ummm... I notice that I had a Mod. 20 g. choke floating in the bag. I, then, checked the choke in my 20 g.- sure enough it was the "Extra Full" I bought for Turkey hunting three years ago. So for the last two seasons I've been hunting with an extra full choke! :oops:

LOL... it gave me a good pattern on the board with #2 steel.

Georgia Boy

Re: Can you believe...I'm that stupid?

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Dont think I would have told that one :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 am

I think I would have kept that one to myself. On the other hand the practice with that tight of a choke should have helped you marksmanship.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 am

I think it's AWESOME that you shared that. :lol:

We've all had our share of goofs but some are too pretencious to admit it! Chalk it up to a learning experience and know that with a decent spread pattern you should be even more deadly on the birds now!

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm

LOL... I missed three on Sunday! I'm considering going back to the extra full choke :mrgreen:

armand

Post by armand » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:39 pm

back when i was a kid my dad and i went birdhunting togeather all he talked about was the fun we were going to have. when we arrived i had my 410 and 410 shells he had his 12gauge an a box of 30 30 shells ha ha aint life a peach?

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Was at the skeet field last week and my buddy forgot to put his tubes in. Happens to the best of us.

Hookadooka BirdDogs

Post by Hookadooka BirdDogs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Along that line of stupid..... Last dove season a buddy, my grandson and I were dove hunting. I was using my 20 ga. over/under and my grandson wanted to use my 12ga. I use for turkey hunting, instead of his 20 pump. In Ohio you have to plug the gun so it only has a 3 shot capacity. After my GS shot several doves, the newbie game warden came up, checked our license's and checked to see if the 12 ga. my grandson borrowed was plugged for 3 shots. I assured him it was, but after the warden inserted 4 shells in the gun, it became an ah crap moment. I took the gun apart to show him it was plugged, only to find I had it plugged for 3 1/2 in. turkey loads instead of 2 3/4 in. shells. My quick thinking buddy grabbed a stick and cut it to size for 2 3/4 shells, & inserted it in the gun. It worked and the game warden said have a nice day knowing my 17 yr, old GS learned a lesson. Maybe a lesson to be learned here for all, check your choke AND your plug.

TOM
Pointed birds: If it's flyin', it's dyin'.

In 1969, the only woodstock I saw was on my M-14.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Mollyontherun,
Heck it did not hurt you one bit, probably made you a better gunner in the long run, started out my Grouse gunning with an old O/U 20 Guage mag under a 22 Mag rifle,
the old Savage had a full choked 20 guage BBL for shooting Turkey. My father started us out this way because he wanted us to learn how to gun correctly, it worked real well. Now when you go back to your wider chokes you will think you are Annie Oakely.
RGD/Dave