semi auto .308

MN Bonasa

semi auto .308

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm

Looking for opinions on who makes the nicest semi auto .308 right now at a reasonable price. I love the looks of Remington's Woods Master but have heard some issues with this model. Any opinions on the woods master for or against? I bet most .308's are leaning more towards the AR platform. I will use it Mainly for whitetail deer.

ridenismo

Re: semi auto .308

Post by ridenismo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Im in the process of building a .308 based AR right now. Im building my gun in 260 remington though. If you have basic mechanical skills you can easily build an AR thatll be deadly to any deer sized game. You could also build the AR15 (rather than AR10) and barrel it for something like the 6.8SPC. Obviously the AR builds these days arent as cheap as they used to be, but they can be done and are VERY potent in the woods!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 am

Not quite sure what a reasonable price is to you, my guess is $1000 bucks or less....

In saying that a semi auto .308 Browning BAR are nice guns, a bit pricey new but look for an older used you should be able to get that down some.

Have heard a lot of good things about the Winchester SXR rifles in performance and reliability wise. Some do not like the newer
streamlined look, have not personally shot one but know a few friends that have, and they all seemed to like it real well, with the exception of the looks. Priced what I would consider pretty reasonable.

The Woodsmaster, reliability issues have followed the Rem semi auto's, most notable the bolt jumping the rails in the action and this led to a host of issues, magazine feed issues to breaking or bending the slide action rails, to the gas return tube on the barrel getting bent, all of them create loading/jamming issues, I am sure there are nice rem semis out there, my experience has been more are jamming machines than not. They tend to foul easier than some gas operated so keeping them cleaned really helped them a lot.

If I had to choose a Semi-Auto in .308 in the hunting rifle style(Non-AR type) I would go with the Winchester Super X-AR Varmit, if you can find a nice Winchester 100 or a Browning BAR.

Good luck

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 pm

A semi on deer? how many deer we talking about? Usually one shot is all it takes. Saiga makes a good 308 and it can be had for 5 or 600 out the door around here. Takes a 30 round mag too for the real heavy deer attacks. :)

FNH FNAR

M1a

CETME

FN FAL... HK91... PLR91

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=443

century arms
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks for the reply's but the main reason for the semi auto is I already have a.270 Remington bolt and a .300 win mag Remington bolt action rifles. So with that said I am just looking to add to my gun collection and now a .308 is what I have my heart set on. I checked out the Browning BAR's online and like the looks of them a lot. Building my own AR platform sounds like a lot of fun also. DPMS Panther arms is located here in my town. Rarely have I ever had to take more than one shot at a deer, however where I hunt now its pretty thick woods, so long shots are not the norm by any means. The last two deer were taken off the ground still hunting and not stand hunting. I like the idea of having a shorter rifle with quick shots while still hunting. I think if I were to go back to another bolt action I like the Ruger Gunsite scout rifle in.308.

ridenismo

Post by ridenismo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:37 pm

The gunsite scout is an AWESOME little rifle. If i were looking for a bolt gun itd be my #1 choice. Ill be using my AR for whitetail, 3 gun competitions, and HAMMERING coyotes. Dont ever plan on needing more than a single shot per target, but when the coyotes run in packs, i want a rifle thatll shoot a whole lot of lead right back.

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

LMT MWS
laroue
POF
KAC-25

Just some of the nicer ones...

walt501

Post by walt501 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 am

I have the Saiga .308 with the 16" barrel and find it surprisingly accurate. The only down side is out of the box the ergonomics are a little strange as a result of conforming the the Clinton era assault weapons ban on imported semi-auto rifles. You can convert them to the original AK-47 pattern yourself using plenty of online guides and instructions. Aftermarket accessories to customize it to your personal tastes are plentiful. In my opinion, a converted AK-47 pattern rifle will likely hold its value well in the coming years, especially if you have a few 25 round magazines to go with it.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 am

What about a Winchester SXR or one of the Benelli Rifles?
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Wyobohunter

semi auto .308

Post by Wyobohunter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:02 pm

For classic good looks and a dedicated woods/Deer rifle I'd look at the Browning BAR.

The sweetest shooter (and good looks) the Springfield Armory M1A. Also nostalgia. Though I prefer my Garand.

I'd be hard pressed to choose between the BAR and M1A. It'd really come down to how far I planned to carry the rifle. I love the M1A but it is quite heavy.

My third choice would be an AR-10.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Also, if you're dead set on a semi auto. I would personally go with the AR15 platform and the 6.5grendel. Plenty for whitetails......and a few have used it to put down elk (including one Mark Larue).
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:52 am

I opted for the Ruger Gunsite, its a awesome little weapon. I also like the bolt action for reliability. Just waiting for the scope to arrive from Cabelas!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.