Remington Model 31

longarm

Remington Model 31

Post by longarm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Any other fans here of Remingtons first side-ejecting pump shotgun?
I have several from the mid 30s and I think they are marvels of craftsmanship. The action was often described as 'ball bearing smooth' and I would have to agree. The hand fitted parts, the locking barrel, everything speaks to me of a time when we were really building quality.

EnglishBob

Re: Remington Model 31

Post by EnglishBob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:10 pm

I was really fortunate to be given the honor to buy a 16 Gauge Model 31 from a friend. I think it dates from 1937 and it has a 26 Inch plain skeet barrel. This has to be the tightest skeet choke anyone I've shot with has ever seen. It will easily break clay targets at 40+ yards. Something about the old chokes being designed for felt wads and modern shells not working quite the same way? I recently found a used 28" full choke barrel but I'm not sure I really need that much choke. Might take it out to Kansas with me for pheasant hunting :-)

Stripping it to clean it for the first time was a bit of nightmare. It's like a swiss watch inside with lots of hand finished parts. Definitely a throw back to a bygone era.

Thinking about looking for a 20 Gauge model to expand my collection.

I love shooting pump guns, something about having to pump helps me keep my head down on the stock, and I don't tend to flinch as much.

Phil

Don
GDF Junkie

Re: Remington Model 31

Post by Don » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:33 am

Don't believe I've ever seen a Mod 31, sure would like to see a photo. I have a very old Ithica Mod37 Featherweight in 16ga. I've always though it was the slickest slide ever made.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!