Beginner Hunter?

KelseyCooke

Beginner Hunter?

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 pm

I am just starting hunting, and need help picking out a gun to use with my French Brittany!
Any suggestions?
Wit is a sword; people are meant to feel the point as well as see it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Begginer Hunter?

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:04 pm

when you get with the breeder to getting your Eb on the road to being a Bird dog I bet they might even help you or know someone that can help you find the right gun for you and get you started shooting
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Thank you...again. XD.

I feel bad asking for all this help.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:09 pm

KelseyCooke wrote:Thank you...again. XD.

I feel bad asking for all this help.

That is what we are here for :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 pm

That's what this site is for,to ask questions & learn,we all started where your at now.We are all beginners at least once. :D

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm already looking at hunting equipment (I will orobably go out in the Spring, not freezing weather, Libby has her shiver fits int he winter XD).

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Glad to meet another French Brittany hunter. As for a gun, I'd suggest you get something made by a major name brand, such as Remington, Winchester, Browning, Mossberg, Ithaca or Savage. Now they don't have to always carry those names, because those makers made guns for companies such as Sears, Wards, Western Auto, Gambles and others. Any good gunshop can tell you who made which Ted Williams, or J. C. Higgins or Westernfield or such. In almost all cases a 12 gauge will be cheaper than any other gauge. So it really all depends on what is available in your area at a price you can live with. A pump gun will usually be less expensive than an auto or double and in many cases they are more durable. Older guns will have fixed chokes or adjustable ones rather than choke tubes. Just make sure if you go with a fixed choke gun that it matches the game you will hunt most. A Winchester 1200 or 120 pump or that model with another name on it could be very good deal if the condition is good and the price is right. Look at a gun blue book at the local library for prices.

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

I am in love with the breed, always will haha.
Thank you, I shall tak e alook, and I will keep in contact with her breeder as well.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Kelsey,

Looking at your age, I would recommend a Remington 870 Express. This is the shotgun I have and I really like it, although a semi-automatic like my son has, would be sweet! My 14 yo daughter inherited her brother's Winchester youth model. It is very barrel heavy and hard to mount, I think. A good gun store would be very helpful in finding the gun that fits you.

I love French Britts, too! We have a 6 yo female we hunt behind. I'm going next week to the breeder to decide if the male pup he has will be the right dog for me to train. This will be my first gun dog to train as well. We'll be learning together. :) My husband trained Cadee, and I think she turned out pretty well, so I'll be counting on him for guidance as well.

Have fun and welcome to the forum!

Cheryl

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I am hoping to get a male late next year or early 2012, unless I convince my parents other wise.
What breeder are you looking at?
I really want a Plum Creek dog, especially from Tattoo lol, but if I find the perfect pup, it's coming home XD

KelseyCooke

Post by KelseyCooke » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 pm

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Yep. 870 express. Cheap and foolproof. Easy to maintain. It was my first gun nearly 25 years ago and it's still my go to gun. You'll probably buy others down the road but you can't go wrong with the 870 as a first gun.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 pm

KelseyCooke wrote:http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700255873.html

12 gauge Remington 870 express
I would highly recommend you look at a 20 guage as they will do everything a 12 will in the upland world of hunting and are much lighter and less KICK. I appreciate those features and I am sure a young lady learning to shoot would also. I have seen very few women that shoot 12 and there is a reason.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:50 am

KelseyCooke wrote:I am hoping to get a male late next year or early 2012, unless I convince my parents other wise.
What breeder are you looking at?
I really want a Plum Creek dog, especially from Tattoo lol, but if I find the perfect pup, it's coming home XD
I'm getting my pup from Tri-River Kennel in Salina, KS. It's only about a 3 1/2 hour drive from me. http://www.tri-riverkennel.com Tuxedo is the mom. They don't have a pic of Croix (the sire) up on their site yet. I agree, Tattoo is a beautiful dog!

I also would get a 20 gauge; a lot less kick. That's what I shoot and when I go to the range to shoot clays, I come home with a beautiful bruise on my shoulder. My hubby keeps telling me I'm not seating the gun far enough, but I know I am. I guess I just bruise easy. :roll: I have a shooter's pad that attaches to my bra strap, but it gets in the way of mounting my gun, so I don't use it much.

Cheryl

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Beginner Hunter?

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:00 am

Yes agree on a 20 ga
You might also consider an Autoloader type shotgun to start as the recoil is greatly reduced.
and properly fitted is very important a gun to short will cause more pounding and one to long will cause it to be set lower in to the arm again in an area which will get the arm more bruised

can also get the stock cut down a bit then have special recoil pad put on this will even further reduce the concussion when first learning how to shoot

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:04 am

Nhuskr wrote:
KelseyCooke wrote: ... I come home with a beautiful bruise on my shoulder...
Kinda like most of your corn huskers after their visit to Aggieland!!! :lol: :lol: Just had to razz you a little... especially bc you guys are leaving the conf.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am

I think it would be good if you went and looked at a lot of different action types first. Tuff to recommend a gun when all we really have to go on is your age and gender. Once you've decided which action appeals to you, then it would be nice to know your price range. As for guage, I've shot my old 12ga with 1 1/8oz target loads a lot of years and recoil isn't bad at all. Of course I reloaded it so I had a better selection of shot. Ezzy makes a good point about the weight of the gun. That old 12 of mine didn't seem to heavy to me but I'm a fairly big guy. My son brought it over last weekend and I handled it a bit. Like an old friend. But also like an old friend it seem's to have gained weight. Last fall I started shooting my 28ga and now my 16 and that old 12 feel heavy. But it is also amazing what you can get used to. I think for most hunting the 20ga is a good idea. It uses fairly light loads in a light gun and ammo is easy to find. You could probably get away with shooting 7/8 oz loads for the rest of your life assuming you can get them with the shot size you want.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Nhuskr

Post by Nhuskr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 pm

proudag08 wrote:
Nhuskr wrote:
KelseyCooke wrote: ... I come home with a beautiful bruise on my shoulder...
Kinda like most of your corn huskers after their visit to Aggieland!!! :lol: :lol: Just had to razz you a little... especially bc you guys are leaving the conf.

And I was just beginning to think not all Texans are so bad. :lol: :mrgreen: I'm excited to see what they'll do in the Big 10, but I sure will miss the old rivalries. Except for the Texas Longhorns.

God Bless,

Cheryl

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:34 pm

Kelsey,
I see you are from Pa, I do not know your age however if you plan to hunt Grouse & pheasant you might consider the purchase of a 16 guage shotgun.
If you like pump guns I would look around for an old Winchester Model 12 pump, they are light and very well made, the 16 has enough
penetrating power to shoot thru the Pa forest voliage for downing Grouse early or late season, it also has enough killing power to down an old large Pheasant
at 40 plus yards in the fields. You can usually pick up an old Model 12 for about $525.00 which is still reasonable money for a good gun. If you have a little more money
and want a real decent double gun, pick up an old 16 Guage 00 L.C. Smith, you can pick one up between $1,500-$1,800. Further both of these 16 guage shotguns have thumb safeties, which is especially important to a beginner learning to hunt. Either of these 16 guage shotguns would get you started down the right path, for the state you live in. If your father or mother or Grandfather are Veterans (served in the US Military) I will help you without charge with your dog, your guns and your hunting.
RGD/Dave