Benelli Super Vinci - Utter disappointment

prairiefirepointers

Benelli Super Vinci - Utter disappointment

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

I went in yesterday to Shooters Supply in Hutchinson Kansas to see my buddies and pick up my Legacy that had come back from a warranty claim. I was primed and cocked to lay down a healthy deposit on the new "Super Vinci". I had previously owned a SBE II, that was my waterfowl gun. I sold it for my SKB and deeply regreted doing so. I just sold the O/U on Gunbroker though.. So, with the SKB cash in my pocket and a hankerin for Benelli's new prodigy to don my gun cabinet, I excitedly said "Lemme see the new Super Vinci!" They handed it to me and said "You'd be the first kid on the block to have one, we just got these in". So, I held it, looked it over, swung it, pointed it, & thought I was completely thorough in my examination to make a decision to buy.

Had I missed something? Maybe... So I always ask my buddies for their opinion and tap their knowledge of that particular firearm I am interested in, whatever it may be. I asked them since the SBE II Max 4 Camo and the Super Vinci Max 4 Camo are the exact same cash price, which one would you buy? He proclaimed "SBE II"... I agreed its a fabulous gun and I particularly like that it has the same frame as my Legacy and vice versa. However, I said... "The Vinci's just a sexy sum gun, I love the aestitics of it". Greg said his decision was solely due to the "Stupid safety button placement on the SVinci" ???

That is where I would have made a fatal error had I not picked their brains. The safety on the Super Vinci is "North" of the trigger group housing. My Legacy and the SBE II all have the safetys on the "South" side of the trigger. I was confounded on why they would do this? I know how I hate it when I pick up a different gun and the safety is in a different position than I am used to... It causes panic and usually a missed bird.

However, I wanted this gun badly so I took it back from Greg and seen if I could "look past the safety button issue". I was crushed to find that it is so far forward that I can't even reach it with my index finger. The LOP to the safety is too far. I handed it back, told the fellas "Thanks", took my Legacy and dejectedly headed to the car.

I love you Benelli USA... But you have broken my heart. :(
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Ryman Gun Dog

Re: Benelli Super Vinci - Utter disappointment

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:49 am

PFP,
I understand what you mean about the safety position on a good shotgun, IMO its got to be a thunb safe, its just the way I was raised with my double guns.
I had an old Rem 1100 when I was a young man, used it for shooting Trap and Turkey hunting, the gun never got used much in the Grouse woods, hated the under mounted safety.
RGD/Dave

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:36 pm

+1 on the Top Tang safety I can't shoot any gun that doesn't without missing the bird while my thumb is still searching for the safety :oops: My first gun a old sxs had it and when my parents got me a Mossberg 500 it to had the top safety, and now my O/U also has it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I have the safety in all three places on the three guns I shoot most and I admit I have my favorite location but after using each of the guns a couple of times it isn't even anything I think about as it seem completely natural. But you do have to shoot a gun a few times to get to that place so you are comfortable with them. I find it harder to remember a couple of them are pumps after shooting the semi auto or the o/u.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 am

I had the same issue when I switched over my primary bird gun. My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 with a top tang safety. Hunted grouse, pheasant, and geese with that gun for 14 years before switching to a Remington 11-87 Upland Special. Took me awhile to get used to the forward safety. Very happy with the gun but still long for the top tang safety. Much more efficient design in my opionion.

Oh and along the lines of Ezzy forgetting shooting a pump vs the autoloader and doubles (which I've done) I have a tough time remembering my double trigger on my SxS sometimes! :?

barthowes

Post by barthowes » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I grew up with a SxS with double triggers and a tang safety. oh how I love a double trigger. nothing like having two different chokes at hand when you need them. I bought a moss. 935 just because of the tang safety. I personally hate pump shotguns. the rattleing of the pump and the possibility of short stroking it drive me crazy.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Can't say the safety position would nix a purchase deal but the looks of the SV sure would.

Never saw much issue with triggers or safety locations tho the short time Browning Twin-Single or the Greener side safety seem enough different to cause an occassional bobble.
But, I would much rather have an occassional bobble with a Superposed or a Greener than not have either scattergun....who needs to shoot w/o a bobble?

The old Savage 220 was a single-shot with a top safety...always thought that would make a great beginner's scattergun in 20 gauge.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:13 am

Your lucky you didn't shoot it or else you would have said you are now getting used to the safety. But I only grabbed my Vinci because I paid 800.00 for it used with 20 rounds through it from a friend.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 am

No, No I wouldn't.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"