SxS shotguns... why?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: SxS shotguns... why?

Post by nikegundog » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:32 am

DonF wrote:Isn't there a law that says that if you hunt behind pointing dogs, you must use a SxS? I'm sure I read that somewhere! :D
Yes there is, I believe its in England and you are also required to use those straight stocks, on this side of the pond we use O/Us. :D

antitactical

Re: SxS shotguns... why?

Post by antitactical » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:37 am

The reasons for using an over under for clays is a lot of those krieghoffs perazzis and kolars are heavy but well balanced. Some weigh around 10 lbs. You wouldn't want to shoot a 5 and a half pound gun 250 times in a competition. For clays i use a Browning 425 o/u with 32" barrels it swings like a Cadillac and has a long sight radius for complicated shots. its too heavy for field work. For use in the field I rely on my grandfather's old bird gun a parker vhe with 26" barrels and a beavertail forend.its light and is scary fast on the swing. I have autos and a bunch of model 12 s ( sorry I'm biased and I don't think they have made a better pump.) Im just more comfortable with the ones I use. The side by side is a great choice. plus you have instant choke decision with 2 triggers if the birds are spooky and flush far away just pull the back trigger for a tighter choke.no fumbling with a safety or lever.