Mosberg over and under

rm9802

Mosberg over and under

Post by rm9802 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:39 am

Just wondering if Mossberg makes a good over and under...i had buddy who tried to buy one at Gander Mountain not sure what model but the salesman realy discouraged him from buying one said they were of poor quality and stated they always got them back....thanks

ben33127

Re: Mosberg over and under

Post by ben33127 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 am

I am not sure about the mossberg, however when I was in college I worked at "bleep"'s Sporting Goods, and we sold a thousands of the stoeger 3000, no joke as long as I worked their we never recieved one back. We did recieve almost everyone of the russian made remington spartan, and also a few of the savage over and under sorry I do not recall their name. I would def. suggest the over under stoeger for a economy priced over under!

rm9802

Post by rm9802 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 am

cool...thanks....will someone tell me why the over and under's r so prized by upland shooters and trap guys...i would prefer my semi all day...now i've never shot an over and under...the overand under's i've held are heavy so its not a wieght issue is it just a status thing or what....sorry for such a newby question

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:23 pm

I bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U when they first came out. It looked nice and handled well, but after only a few shots the lower barrel would stop firing. I would clean it up, and then it would work again, but I never trusted it. May have just been something about that particular gun, but I sold it and went back to my ancient Browning auto.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:46 pm

cool...thanks....will someone tell me why the over and under's r so prized by upland shooters and trap guys...i would prefer my semi all day...now i've never shot an over and under...the overand under's i've held are heavy so its not a wieght issue is it just a status thing or what....sorry for such a newby question
They give you the option of having a choice of having to different chokes as well a two different shells in the gun at the same time, for a close or far shots. They also are more reliable than an auto-loader, and then there is that status thing you are talking about.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 am

I have a Mossberg Silver Reserve with both 12 and 20 gauge barrels. I have absolutely no complaints about the gun.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:48 am

rm9802 wrote:cool...thanks....will someone tell me why the over and under's r so prized by upland shooters and trap guys...i would prefer my semi all day...
Upland shooters...easiest to make truely and quickly safe when either around dogs or in rough country....plus two shots are ample in most upland situations.

Trap guys....Better triggers and handling dynamics...by far.

Other clay sports often find semi-autos worth their limits for their recoil reduction....I like both for hunting or clays.

Basically tho, for most it is a simple preference and economic decision or, in other words, the same old GSP versus fill-in-the-blank high school and bored message board posters crap at the core.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:07 am

Ive got one in 20 ga, I love the fit and feel and it shoots nice....it did have a double fire problem but mossburg fixed it......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

rm9802 wrote:Just wondering if Mossberg makes a good over and under...i had buddy who tried to buy one at Gander Mountain not sure what model but the salesman realy discouraged him from buying one said they were of poor quality and stated they always got them back....thanks

Now that the Russian Baikal guns are back I would grab one for $400-$500.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:56 am

Mountaineer wrote:
rm9802 wrote:cool...thanks....will someone tell me why the over and under's r so prized by upland shooters and trap guys...i would prefer my semi all day...

Upland shooters...easiest to make truely and quickly safe when either around dogs or in rough country....plus two shots are ample in most upland situations.

Trap guys....Better triggers and handling dynamics...by far.

Other clay sports often find semi-autos worth their limits for their recoil reduction....I like both for hunting or clays.

Basically tho, for most it is a simple preference and economic decision or, in other words, the same old GSP versus fill-in-the-blank high school and bored message board posters crap at the core.
That is exactly why I carry one, and why it is a Stoeger...

Easy to make safe and I won't care if I need to drop it and run to a dog...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:51 am

Only problem i had with the stoger (my brother has one) is it feels twice as heavy as the mossburg. His vent rib also has a odd wag in it, i told him to take it back but he dont care :lol:

The mossburg besides the barrel selector problem and double fire issue, is a nice light gun. Its really a shame they let that gun out of the factory with the stupid problems it has cause besides that its a nice handling gun.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:13 am

I work part time at a big chain sporting goods store selling fire arms, early on we saw several of the silver reserves come back with firing pin issues. However in the last 2-3yrs they dont show up on the used rack very often. We dont sell many of them either though.

Truthfully if I was going to spent the $ they get for a Silver Reserve I would look at either the Baikals as has been mentioned, or a CZ.

As far as the preference for an O/U over a pump or a semi auto, I like the O/U because in a given gun all other measurements equal a 28in bbl gun in an O/U will be 6sh inches shorter than a 28in gun in a pump or an automatic or pump. Also I like to be able to break my gun when someone walks in front of me to make a flush, both out of safety and respect issue.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

rm9802

Post by rm9802 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 pm

thanks for the replies