First 20ga

isonychia

First 20ga

Post by isonychia » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:39 pm

This will be my first bird season with a dog, and as such I am going to be purchasing a new gun because all of my shotguns are 12ga. I am looking for something light and maneuverable that shoulders well and is a good gun to learn how to shoot with a right hand and a left dominant eye. I would love an O/U that I could put a cylinder or IC in the first barrel and a mod. in the second but I also want a gun that will last a lifetime and only have a budget of 700. As a compromise to budget, I was thinking about a Remington 1187 20ga... any thoughts? Mostly going to be hunting grouse.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Re: First 20ga

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I would look for a used Ruger Red Label, might find one in good shape for $700-$800 and you will not lose any value on it like you would buying a new semi-auto. Twenty years from now it will be worth more than when you buy it, which isn't always the case when one goes budget shopping on low end guns.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

Used Beretta 391 in 20 gauge w/ 24" barrel @ 6 1/4# would be a good place to start a fit and try.

The scattergun has nothing to do with the dominant eye issue...if you actually have true cross-dominance.
It is a widely over-diagnosed condition...especially on the Internet.

If you want a break-open then there are many used scatterguns available of that type...you would need to try several to see what works best for you.
Wood bulk is an issue as well as balance.
No one can say any make is best for anyone.
Beretta, Citori or Miroku would be my first suggestions to try....I had a Ruger, fine gun but overly heavy.
Not many scatterguns will not survive a lifetime of shooting...the Turkish, etc. guns will be tested the most as their triggers are routinely poor with questionable heat treatment of the steel. Many folks swoon over them tho.
Basically, most folks will never shoot any shotgun enough to realize a difference.
I would not fret much about a scattergun standing the gaff....especially hunting ruffed grouse and double especially if you hunt grouse in NC.

I know the general guidelines of a "grouse gun" one hears but don't be too swayed by super light and super open chokes...one of the best App. mountain grouse hunters used a 12 bore @ 7 3/4# with M-F chokes...we carry more stuff in our minds then we need to.
A lot of any choice is particular to each shooter.
Have fun in your choice.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:06 pm

Take a look at some of the CZ's. Good SxS and O/U for the price.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Mountaineer is right about the weight the Ruger is about 11 oz heavier than the Citori. I just don't could never become attached to things like the alloy receiver on the Citori seems to me it cheapened the gun up. Although the function may be just as good I tend to stay away from plastic stocks on an upland gun, and alloy receivers on a double.

Mollyontherun

Post by Mollyontherun » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:12 pm

I
was thinking about a Remington 1187 20ga... any thoughts? Mostly going to be hunting grouse.
Great choice!! Do they offer choice of barrel lengths? If so... have you decided on a length?

Also, have you considered 20g ammunition? Unfortunately, there is not the selection in 20g that you find for a 12g

I hunt upland with a 20g semi auto. I love the the gun- lightweight and very easy to manuever. Last year I hunted Duck with a Remmington 1100. This year I'm going to stick with my 20 g. for duck too.

The only issue I have with my 20 is deciding on shells. It's hard to find 3" lead loads- and they are a bit expensive.

When we hunt wild phez we also will get into quail cubbies. Having only one barrel forces me to decide on which shells to use. Last year I skimped and hunted Wild pheasant and quail with #4, 2 & 3/4" lead. This year I bought a box of Fiochi copper plated 3" inch loads. After I shoot the box I'll decide on which load to purchase next.

For Duck hunting I bought a case of Kent Fasteel 3" #2 7/8 oz @ 1550 fps. I think anything less than that and I am under powered.

Best wishes for you and your new 20g

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:27 am

If I get the 1187 I will get the shortest barrel they offer up from the youth/compact size. I held a 26" the other day with a synthetic stock and it felt really nice asside from the plastic fore-grip that I never like too much. As far as a used ruger or citori goes, where would I look for these guns used? Online?

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 am

I am going to walk out on the limb and answer.... in MY opinion as someone who is left eye dominant and right handed. It was easier to learn to shoot left handed with much greater success than to go through the endless "tricks" to shoot right handed. FIT for any gun is more important than price. I prefer an O/U or S/S for hunting over the dogs. It is SO much easier to be "safe" quickly. Look for a good quality used gun. A reputable gun smith will bend the stock to allow you to shoot the gun left handed. Mine was roughly $100-150 (including a real evaluation of what I needed) and was worth every penny spent. He promised I would shoot 100% better (big words) but followed through on his promise. I am fortunate to train with some people that know shotguns well. I have bought both used and they will last me for years to come. Best of luck on your quest. Take your time and enjoy the search the same as if you were buying the dog. Get something that will last you through this dog and the next.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:31 am

Doodle wrote:I am going to walk out on the limb and answer.... in MY opinion as someone who is left eye dominant and right handed. It was easier to learn to shoot left handed with much greater success than to go through the endless "tricks" to shoot right handed.
How long did it take you to learn to shoot left handed? Also, how do you keep from bonking your dogs on the head at heel? I trained my dog to heel on my left.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm

check this out sorry the 1187 is not rated . there is a reason why.
remember u get what u pay for

http://randywakeman.com/20GaugeAutoloaderComparison.htm

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:21 pm

After reading his reviews wouldn't you have to say that you DON'T get what you pay for, since the most expensive gun ($1500) was the worst one tested and all 3 which costed over a grand got bad reviews.

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:37 pm

It did not take that long to re-learn. Shoot a round or two of skeet with someone that can help you without stressing you out. Take your time & do not rush your shots. Work on the basics FORM & GUN movement (swing). If you have not been shooting for years & years I bet you can master it without alot of problem. Practice swing with your favorite common house broom when no one is around to see it. Practice swinging on tweeties, leaves, whatever you can find. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 20 ga.. Started with a used O/U 20 ga.. Picked up a used Weatherby 20 for one of the kids under $800. Plenty of choices of ammo in 20 ga.. If you are a female the gunsmith may adjust the toe of the gun slightly to give you an easier gun mount. I did teach my dogs to heal on the left. I often will carry the gun on the right when they heal on the left. Healing in & out of hunting areas, tests, on the way to the goose blind, etc.. Most generally in conditions where the gun is broken open, unloaded, and I am not "hunting". If I am hunting it's loaded, closed, and in a two hand ready carry in case we come upon game.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:14 pm

If I were you I would take a short trip south to Greenville or Spartanburg, SC to Academy Sports and buy a Yildiz O\U for $400. I am right handed but am blind in my right eye so I shoot left handed and shoot mine pretty darn well. They have nice wood to metal fit, lock up super tight, come with 5 chokes, have beautiful wood on them and are super light to carry. I have one in 12 and one in 20 gauge.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am

I picked up a stevens Gold wing O/U at "bleep" sporting goods one day just looking at it and I ended up walking out with it, for less the 600 bucks its light shoots nice and is real easy on the eyes mine has a chrome receiver and a golden pheasant, I have been shooting it for 3 yrs for everything upland,waterfowl,clays and even at turkey I just don't shoot any of my other guns as well, mine is in 12 but they make em in 12 20 28 .410

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

I bought a YILDIZ O/U comes with 5 chokes. Never had a gun come to my eye and shoulder as easy as this one. I cant say how it will work coming to your opp eye. they have been around a long time. Price starts about $400 and goes up from there. Good luck choosing lots of good brands out there.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I have a Beretta 20 ga O/U that I really like. It is a light smooth handling gun.
But I have had a Rem 1100 20ga lightweight for many years. I think it is one of the best all around guns you will find for upland bird hunting. I also shoot it better than any gun I have shot.
Steve

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Ruger Red Label 20 Ga. 3" 26-28" barrels
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:15 pm

nikegundog wrote:Mountaineer is right about the weight the Ruger is about 11 oz heavier than the Citori. I just don't could never become attached to things like the alloy receiver on the Citori seems to me it cheapened the gun up. Although the function may be just as good I tend to stay away from plastic stocks on an upland gun, and alloy receivers on a double.
True enough but the Ruger is a nice gun and while you at it if you get a 12Ga.3" synthetic/stainless it only weights 6lb 6 oz and you can shoot a lighter loads and the gun doesnt kick at all. Those stainless guns are mule tough and swing smooth all the weight is in the front.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

SeriousBirdman

Post by SeriousBirdman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I 2nd that fit (and thus confidence) matter over all else. For ruffies, I shoot as open as possible, Cyl/IC. Need all the help I can get, Mod is too tight for me but my hunting bud does well with it (he's a better shot)!
Trying to energize the birdin' world at http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com!