Benelli

Retiredbirddogman

Benelli

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Well, I have been reading about the Benelli and thought I would check them out. For the M2 model that is being replaced, it was $1,400 out the door. This is for a camo 12 gage. I wanted black but they didn't have it. I thought I read on this forum where someone found the same gun for around $900.... Am I mistaken? I live in Tenn, and the state tax is near 10% so that accounts for some of the difference. Guess I will keep shooting my Ruger 20 .

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Benelli

Post by ACooper » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I got a SBE 2 American (no comfort tech stock)at Bass Pro with all the sales and promotional offers etc... 899 plus tax.
Last edited by ACooper on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:04 am

ACooper is correct. They do make the American series that is cheaper than the standard M2 and SBE. What you do not get with the American series is the (arguably)recoil reducing ComforTech stock and, if memory serves, a hard case and full set of choke tubes. However, the American series does come with at least 2 or 3 chokes.

I think you will be happy with either choice. Benelli makes a solid shotgun. Of course, this opinion is coming from a guy who's whole family hunts with Benelli. My father with the SBE, my brother with the M2 and I just purchased a Vinci last year. I hunted mine hard last duck season in some of the most unforgiving swamps in the country as well as snowy weather. The thing just works. I will say that I have had one FTF malfunction. This is due to my habit of press checking. On the Vinci, if you pull the bolt back to ensure you have a shell ready and don't let it ride all the way home, it will sometimes fall short of battery.
WANTED: 20ga. American Arms Derby, Tristar Brittany, BSA Royal or any mid-range Spanish SxS

Friedelsheim's Uptown Down South

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 am

Just to follow up a little further, after buying my SBE with out the comfort tech, I thought I would possibly look at getting my father an M2, he has no intrest in shooting 3.5s. Went to a local gunshop in OKC they generally have good pricing. Black m2 WITH comfort tech stock $1132 plus tax. Will be about 1200.

terrym

Post by terrym » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Question for SBE and SBE II owners? Does the receiver have drilled and tapped holes for mounting a scope?
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 pm

terrym wrote:Question for SBE and SBE II owners? Does the receiver have drilled and tapped holes for mounting a scope?

SBE II is drilled and tapped.

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback. This gun shop is just too high on the Benelli.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:23 pm

I've have been shooting an M2 - 20 ga for about 3 years.

You will LOVE IT!!!

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:22 pm

give these folks a call
http://www.whittakerguns.com/

he is a big dealer also west louisville is not near louisville is is outside of owensboro where you can go to the moonlite inn

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Do yourself a favor and take a look at these guns. It's a gas versus inertia, but it's a simple, extremely easy to clean gun and performs great. You can get a wood or synthetic stock and they will cost you about 250 bucks less than a jamanelli.

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/720_upland_field.php
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:40 pm

quackaddict wrote:Do yourself a favor and take a look at these guns. It's a gas versus inertia, but it's a simple, extremely easy to clean gun and performs great. You can get a wood or synthetic stock and they will cost you about 250 bucks less than a jamanelli.

http://www.franchiusa.com/firearms/720_upland_field.php
Benellis and Franchis are made by the same company and there is nothing wrong with a Franchi, except you better want to keep it. I do love that waterproof finish on the Franchis.

That $250 premium is worth it for a Benelli because they hold their value and are pretty liquid. Franchis, good luck getting a bid.

Jam?, never heard that even when soaked with salt water and silt.

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:44 pm

I don't but guns with the intention of selling them, so resale value is a non-issue. And I've seen quite a few benellis jam. I've come pretty close to buying an M2 though, and I wouldnt mind an ultralight either. Nothing wrong at all with Benellis, I just think that they are ridiculously over rated/priced.

They are owned/imported by the same company, but not made by the same.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

bossman

Post by bossman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 am

The only trick with my Benelli is the way you eject an "un-spent" shell (is that proper terminology?) is different from my other guns. Once I got used to it, no problem. I have one, my wife has one, one of my best hunting buddies has one, never a jam. I guess being over priced and over rated is in the "eye of the beholder". Have shot dove,quail, pheasant and prairie chickin, never any problems. People just need to buy what's right for them.