New Ammo

jimssetters

New Ammo

Post by jimssetters » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:35 am

I have seen a few outdoor shows using the new Praire Storm, Has anyone shot or patterned this new ammo? Thought maybe I would try a box when I go to Kansas.

Chaingang

Re: New Ammo

Post by Chaingang » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:08 am

This came out last year. I haven't used this ammo, but if you are going to try it, I hear you must use the "Prairie Storm Choke tube" specifically designed for this load from Carlson's chokes to gain the most benefit. :lol:

Seriously, give it a try and report back to us. It's not cheap, but one good thing I guess is that a portion of the sale of every box goes to Pheasants Forever.

quackaddict

Post by quackaddict » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 am

It's blackcloud, but with lead. The big difference maker in these shells is the wad. Federal came out with their "flitecontrol" wad the year before blackcloud in their turkey loads, and that wad works as advertised. I really wish they would put that wad in regular steel loads.
Last edited by quackaddict on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:03 am

Yeah it's fairly similar except the Prairie Storm ammo combines Flitestopper nickel plated shot (30%) along with standard copper plated shot (70%).

I see they also now have "Blackcloud Snow goose". I'll have to hand it to Federal, their marketing program is hard at work. :)

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 am

I shot Prairie Storm last year in SD in 20 gauge. I killed some pheasants with it but I didn't feel like it exceeded over my other shells and I wasn't overly impressed with the pattern in threw but maybe with Carlson's Prairie Storm Choke Tubes it would make a difference.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am

GSPTrigger wrote:I shot Prairie Storm last year in SD in 20 gauge. I killed some pheasants with it but I didn't feel like it exceeded over my other shells and I wasn't overly impressed with the pattern in threw but maybe with Carlson's Prairie Storm Choke Tubes it would make a difference.
I think the main concern with the ammo was when it was used with ported or wad stripping choke tubes. Evidently the patterns were quite broken up. Personally and this is just me, I wouldn't waste my money on a choke tube that may or may not have any benefit. If you aren't shooting ported chokes, I would just use what you have. FWIW.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I went through a couple of boxes last season and I thought it did a pretty nice job. For the past several years I have been a believer in shooting premium ammo. If you are comapring Prairie Storm to other quality loads it's a bit of an improvement, nothing over the top though. If you are comparing it to some of the cheaper stuff that's out there it will really impress you. It's a couple of bucks a box extra too.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 am

Silly question but what's wrong with the ammo you used to use? I see these type threads a lot, normally with rifle loads. Someone brings out a new bullet and say's it's the best thing since sliced bread and guy's abandon bullet's they've been using most their life for the new super bullet. Then they shoot something and they are sure they made the right choice becasue it fell right down; just the way the animals used to fall down with their old favorite bullet! :roll: A step forward in advertizing! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:31 pm

I guess that is what keeps ammo dealers in business. Must be doing something right. My thought is if I can knck that big tough rooster down with (1) shot instead of 2, and he doesnt run another mile its money in the bank for something else. :mrgreen: More guns, dogs, collars, another hunting trip. :mrgreen:

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I thought about picking some up, as it was on sale as Scheels for $14.99/box. Then I looked across the isle and saw Fiocchi pheasant max shells on sale for $7.99. Figured I could shoot 2 to 1 with the Fiocchi's and still come out about even.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Not sure about the prarie storm , but I bought a box of black cloud for duck hunting last year and ended up trading most of the boxes to my buddy for kent. The shells leave alot of un burnt powder with gums up the gun. I clean my gun everyday i am done hunting and i could not believe how much residue was in the gun after one day of hunting. Another reason is if you hit the bird in the breast you might as well forget about eating the bird, black cloud destroys ducks, its no wonder they dont fly after a hit, they have no meat left.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm

cutty72 wrote:I thought about picking some up, as it was on sale as Scheels for $14.99/box. Then I looked across the isle and saw Fiocchi pheasant max shells on sale for $7.99. Figured I could shoot 2 to 1 with the Fiocchi's and still come out about even.
I used Fiocchi nickle plated pheasant loads(1485 fps) for the first time this weekend and was impressed. One pellet in the right place would just shatter a leg or wing bone. No cripples this time.

SeriousBirdman

Post by SeriousBirdman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:12 am

Have used praire storm, works exactly as advertised. Patterns well and tight, even with Cyl choke/lack of choke. Also hit hard, so if not using an auto, beware! Always say to use whatever your gun likes best....

We found out a bit more about 'em here:

http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com/2011/ ... el-shells/
Trying to energize the birdin' world at http://www.seriousbirdhunting.com!