Left Handed Shooters

Greek

Left Handed Shooters

Post by Greek » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:20 am

I am looking into getting a nice O/U 20 Ga. My buddies keep telling me I should look into a left handed gun. I never shouldered one. The gun club I shoot at doesn't have any used one's to shoot. Was hoping to get comments from some experienced LH shooters. I really do not understand what the difference is for an O/U. To make things even more complicated I am right eye dominate. Thanks!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Left Handed Shooters

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 am

Greek wrote:I am looking into getting a nice O/U 20 Ga. My buddies keep telling me I should look into a left handed gun. I never shouldered one. The gun club I shoot at doesn't have any used one's to shoot. Was hoping to get comments from some experienced LH shooters. I really do not understand what the difference is for an O/U. To make things even more complicated I am right eye dominate. Thanks!!
I think what they are referring to is "cast-off" vs "cast-on", or the bend in the stock.

Look for a gun with "cast-on" or "cast-neutral"

Many guns come with shims to adjust, but semi's mostly.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am

Do you shoot with with both eyes open?

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:42 pm

I am right handed/left eye dominant and I shoot lefty- both eyes open
That said I have always had RH'ed guns...I don't own any fancy guns and I have never had a gun fitted, but I seldom have problems hitting birds (at least not problems that I can blame on the gun). Some guns just don't point right for me, but I think that is true regardless of the cast.....

I am also looking for a 20G O/U, but I want a lightweight field gun that I don't care if it gets banged up a little....if there was a yildiz near me it would be done.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:45 pm

troutbum13 wrote:I am right handed/left eye dominant and I shoot lefty- both eyes open
That said I have always had RH'ed guns...I don't own any fancy guns and I have never had a gun fitted, but I seldom have problems hitting birds (at least not problems that I can blame on the gun). Some guns just don't point right for me, but I think that is true regardless of the cast.....

I am also looking for a 20G O/U, but I want a lightweight field gun that I don't care if it gets banged up a little....if there was a yildiz near me it would be done.
Look at the Baikals from EAA. Nice gun for the money with proven durability. $450

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:10 pm

mcbosco wrote:
troutbum13 wrote:I am right handed/left eye dominant and I shoot lefty- both eyes open

Look at the Baikals from EAA. Nice gun for the money with proven durability. $450
They look like nice guns for the money, but 11 pounds :? That is a lot of iron to haul up the chukar slopes

The yildiz comes in under 6lbs in a 20G

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:47 pm

troutbum13 wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

They look like nice guns for the money, but 11 pounds :? That is a lot of iron to haul up the chukar slopes

The yildiz comes in under 6lbs in a 20G
That isn't right some numb-nuts must have converted a number wrong. The 12 gauge is 7.5lbs. I saw that too but it is impossible. I have held several 12 gauges and never noticed them being heavy.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/sho ... _test.html

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:05 am

11 lbs is wrong. Not without 4 lbs of lead in the stock. There might not be enough room in the stock for that much lead, come to think of it.

I have had to use tungsten in the past to get benchrest rifles up to the weight limit. It's almost twice as dense as lead.

Greek

Post by Greek » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 am

Thanks for the replies... I will definitely check out those O/U’s.

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:22 am

Good luck, I ordered a Baikal this week (now that I know it is not an 11 pound beast). If you look at these guns be aware that the sport model 310 has a right-handed palm swell, but the regular 310 does not.

For the price I figured I might as well give the gun a chance.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 am

troutbum13 wrote:Good luck, I ordered a Baikal this week (now that I know it is not an 11 pound beast). If you look at these guns be aware that the sport model 310 has a right-handed palm swell, but the regular 310 does not.

For the price I figured I might as well give the gun a chance.
They are good guns and in that price category the most robust I have seen. They are tight though so get some good grease for the receiver.

Not lookers by any strectch but well made.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 am

Greek,
where are you at in IN? ive got a Baikal 20ga that is my go to gun for most things, if your close your welcome to come check it out.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Greek

Post by Greek » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:Greek,
where are you at in IN? ive got a Baikal 20ga that is my go to gun for most things, if your close your welcome to come check it out.

Jim
Jim - Thanks for the offer.. but I'm quite a few clicks northeast of you :D I may wait till next year now that my 14 yr passed his hunt test..I told him I'd get him a 12/20ga. and take him for some bird hunting next month.

bluestemkennels

Post by bluestemkennels » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Speaking as a south-paw I have found off-the-shelf SKB's to be "cast-neutral". I own 3 (28, 20, 12 OU) and can hit equally well with them all.

Good luck.

Bluestem
Bluestem Kennels
AKC Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder
www.bluestemkennels.com

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:12 pm

My buddies wife shoots left handed and carries a Beretta 686 20 ga O/U. I'll have to check if she got a "left handed" version or not

codym

Post by codym » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 pm

I shoot lefty and up until a couple years ago I just shot rt handed guns. A while back I got a sweet little browning upland special with a straight stock and I can shoot the heck out of that gun. Last year I bought a beretta 686 which is rt handed and I cant hit anything with it! It's been tough for me to find many left handed o/u's but most autos have shims that you can flip around and change cast. Just practice alot with whatever you have and I think most people can make it work even if the gun isn't exactly the best fit.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 pm

My #1 shotgun that travels in the truck with me at all times is my Bakal/Remington Spartan 20ga O/U.

It is an absolute slayer. It weighs nothing. Keep it clean, and you might actually be surprised when it's getting handed down a generation.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot