CZ 720. Great gun for the money....

jimbo&rooster

CZ 720. Great gun for the money....

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:06 pm

the other day I was in a local sporting goods store and saw a decent looking semi auto 20ga on the shelf for under $450...... picked it up and looked at it and saw that it was a CZ made by Huglu. I wasnt aware that CZ sold a semi auto. I bought it, I figured for the money it would either be decent or i could get a couple hundred bucks for it and not be out much.

I took my CZ720 out last night for the first time and put about 2.5 boxes of light #9s through it, the first 10-20 rds went through it as fast as I could pull the trigger and the next few were at some clays. The gun ran without a hiccup. I took the gun out today to shoot some birds during some training and it was light and pointed well for me.

I know that 50-60 shells is not an indication of how a gun will work but I am pretty happy with this one.

I thought I would share this with ya'll I know that there is always someone looking to pick up a decent gun for a reasonable price. I will keep ya'll posted on how this gun works out over the next few months as the season opens, but i think this one may be a keeper.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

JWP58

Re: CZ 720. Great gun for the money....

Post by JWP58 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 am

The 720 and 712 have a good rep. from everything i've heard. I almost went with a 720, but got a woodcock deluxe instead. Honestly i still want one for bad weather.

I'm sure the haters will be along ragging on the CZ/Huglu turk guns, but people that actually own them love them.

(in fact a guy over on shotgunworld has put over 15k rds through his canvasback with zero issuses)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I don't have the 72O but do have the 20ga. Mallard double trigger and love it.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

I have a 20 gauge Redhead and it is a good gun. Looks nice, shoots well. I just wish it was finished without a color topcoat. It makes touching it up very tricky.

I bought a pair of Carlson skeet chokes for it and really like using it at the club. I still don't think the action is as robust as a Baikal in the value class of shotguns but it has been totally reliable through cases of cheap Remington target shells.

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:21 am

For a huntinggun I think they are great value. Now if I wanted to shoot thousands of rounds a year at clays or trap this might not be the best choice but realistically how many rounds do you shoot in a season of bird hunting? I want a straight stocked double trigger sxs myself in 20 guage. Do they make such an animal?
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 am

I'm not sure there's a CZ hater on the face of the earth. I've never seen one but I hear about them all the time from guys that love them. But I didn't know they made auto-loaders.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 am

terrym wrote:For a huntinggun I think they are great value. Now if I wanted to shoot thousands of rounds a year at clays or trap this might not be the best choice but realistically how many rounds do you shoot in a season of bird hunting? I want a straight stocked double trigger sxs myself in 20 guage. Do they make such an animal?
I think the CZ Bobwhite. Pretty nice case hardening too. Gonna guess around $600 -$700. I have handled it in a 28 gauge.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 am

mcbosco wrote:
terrym wrote:For a huntinggun I think they are great value. Now if I wanted to shoot thousands of rounds a year at clays or trap this might not be the best choice but realistically how many rounds do you shoot in a season of bird hunting? I want a straight stocked double trigger sxs myself in 20 guage. Do they make such an animal?
I think the CZ Bobwhite. Pretty nice case hardening too. Gonna guess around $600 -$700. I have handled it in a 28 gauge.

I was gona suggest the bobwhite also, a older gentleman I hunt with on occasion has one in a 20 and one in a 28 and they are both sweetharts. Much prettier guns than my mallard.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:
mcbosco wrote:

I was gona suggest the bobwhite also, a older gentleman I hunt with on occasion has one in a 20 and one in a 28 and they are both sweetharts. Much prettier guns than my mallard.

Jim
The 28 gauge is a very dainty piece. Perfect for a lady. It even comes in a 410. I think I would want to see the gun in person before I bought it, or really good pictures. When case hardening is not done right the edges can be pretty ugly. On this gun it probably a chemical process.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 pm

I have handled a CZ Ringneck in both 20 and 28, the 28 is noticeably smaller and lighter. Ringneck and Bobwhites are both nice guns for the money, they are the only CZ's that I have been around.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 pm

I really like my CZ Ringneck 20 ga. I see a couple of comments on how small or dainty and light the 28 ga. is...That is because they are actually 28ga. frames, where as a lot of brands put 28ga. barrels on 20ga. frames.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:31 am

birddogger wrote:I really like my CZ Ringneck 20 ga. I see a couple of comments on how small or dainty and light the 28 ga. is...That is because they are actually 28ga. frames, where as a lot of brands put 28ga. barrels on 20ga. frames.

Charlie
"Dainty" that was meant to be a compliment.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I have the bobwhite in both 20 and 28 gauges. I love them... especially the 28ga. I hunted with mine so much that there is no case coloring left on the receiver. It's probably accounted for a couple hundred pheasants and several hundred quail over the past six or seven years. I rarely carry anything else anymore.