Prairie Storm

terrylndrs

Prairie Storm

Post by terrylndrs » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:15 am

has anyone had any problems with the Prairie storm ammo? I tried it weekend and after only one shot the barrel was so dirty, it looked like I was using black powder. Is this normal?

grouseguy

Re: Prairie Storm

Post by grouseguy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:21 pm

terrylndrs wrote:has anyone had any problems with the Prairie storm ammo? I tried it weekend and after only one shot the barrel was so dirty, it looked like I was using black powder. Is this normal?

Only thing I've noticed with PS is that you need to let the bird get out a little further. the pattern stays tight for a while...

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, both the prairie storm and it's black cloud brother leave the barrels a little dirtier than I'm used to. The do bring the birds down, but I'm not sure if they bring them down twice the $$ better...

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Some of the guys I hunt with shoot those things. They sound like 44 magnums when they shoot. I kill as many or more phez than anyone with 1oz 20 ga Federal premuims... but whatever floats your boat.

They are just small birds we're shooting at, ya know.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:11 pm

tdhusker wrote:Some of the guys I hunt with shoot those things. They sound like 44 magnums when they shoot. I kill as many or more phez than anyone with 1oz 20 ga Federal premuims... but whatever floats your boat.

So have they had problems?

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:31 pm

ACooper wrote:
tdhusker wrote:Some of the guys I hunt with shoot those things. They sound like 44 magnums when they shoot. I kill as many or more phez than anyone with 1oz 20 ga Federal premuims... but whatever floats your boat.

So have they had problems?
No problems that I know of, although maybe powder residue is why some of the guys shooting gas guns have trouble with guns not cycling.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:30 pm

TD, interesting point: I've done some reading that suggests a "square" load patterns better and hits harder than a big load. "Square" being a load that's about as long in the case as it is wide. SO, for a 12 ga: 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz. 16 ga: 1 oz. 20 GA: 7/8 to 1 oz. The articles went on to state that any "excess" shot in the load will scrub the side of the barrel, deform and cause it to pattern badly. I like shooting those heavy, expensive loads as much as anyone cuz, bigger has to be better, right????? But I think I hit more birds with the 1 1/8 oz loads than the 13/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads... JMHO.

anyone else have an opinion either way?

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:35 am

Don't know about PS ammo, but I've had the same experence with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo. Looked like my barrels were full of soot like a stove pipe, also my Browning O/U was so fouled that it was hard to break the action open. Gave that stuff away.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:35 pm

AG74 wrote:...TD, interesting point: I've done some reading that suggests a "square" load patterns better and hits harder than a big load. "Square" being a load that's about as long in the case as it is wide. SO, for a 12 ga: 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz. 16 ga: 1 oz. 20 GA: 7/8 to 1 oz. The articles went on to state that any "excess" shot in the load will scrub the side of the barrel, deform and cause it to pattern badly. I like shooting those heavy, expensive loads as much as anyone cuz, bigger has to be better, right????? But I think I hit more birds with the 1 1/8 oz loads than the 13/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads... JMHO. anyone else have an opinion either way?
Confidence matters most....square load concept went out with buttonhooks.
Nice theory tho, but like the Rule of 96, little practicality today.

Bigger is better if you wish to use larger shot or in a combo with open chokes.
Misses rarely happen due to shot load...light or heavy.
Misses do happen if you think you are getting pounded...whether you are or not.
A mind is a terrible thing to use...sometimes.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
AG74 wrote:...TD, interesting point: I've done some reading that suggests a "square" load patterns better and hits harder than a big load. "Square" being a load that's about as long in the case as it is wide. SO, for a 12 ga: 1 oz to 1 1/8 oz. 16 ga: 1 oz. 20 GA: 7/8 to 1 oz. The articles went on to state that any "excess" shot in the load will scrub the side of the barrel, deform and cause it to pattern badly. I like shooting those heavy, expensive loads as much as anyone cuz, bigger has to be better, right????? But I think I hit more birds with the 1 1/8 oz loads than the 13/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads... JMHO. anyone else have an opinion either way?
Confidence matters most....square load concept went out with buttonhooks.
Nice theory tho, but like the Rule of 96, little practicality today.

Bigger is better if you wish to use larger shot or in a combo with open chokes.
Misses rarely happen due to shot load...light or heavy.
Misses do happen if you think you are getting pounded...whether you are or not.
A mind is a terrible thing to use...sometimes.

OK, I'll bite - please tell my why the square load concept has little practicality today? I'm not a subscriber to any theory, heck, I haven't even patterned my own shotgun with the variety of shells and chokes that I use myself!

I'll agree that confidence is more important than load. And I've never really noticed recoil in a hunting situation, so the whole getting pounded thing may apply to some folks, but I've never had a problem with heavy or light loads in that context.

I do know that I've got some high velocity (1485) 7.5 shot loads (1 3/8 oz) that I need to pattern because I hit more birds with the cheap 1 oz loads than I do with those and $5/box vs $19/box makes a big difference!!

Al

tdhusker

Post by tdhusker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I see quite a few guys phez hunting in SD on the trips I take who carry 20's and shoot the 1 1/4oz, 3" Prairie Storms. The recoil in most light 20 ga guns is just ridiculous. I shot one just to try it....WOW! I own and shoot some big rifles that pale by comparison.

I take quite a few hunts and hunters on trips. I shoot many Phez every season. In all honesty, I haven't seen very many guys shoot well that use these hotrod loads like the P.S. or Fiocchi Golden Pheasant. Most of the better shots I take or go with are shooting lighter loads, 1 1/4oz 12 or 1oz 20. You can buy stuff that gets out there 1300+ FPS and beyond that is just noise and pain. I used to load some 1450 fps 1 1/8oz 6's for my 12 and those were lethal on phez.

Like I said before, the 1oz Federal Premium 5 shot is as good a 20ga load as I've ever used for phez.