any body ever use reducers in their scatter gun?

jimbo&rooster

any body ever use reducers in their scatter gun?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:13 pm

I was looking through my recent LCS tonight and saw a set of gauge reducers.

Any body ever used a set of these? I was considering a set of 28ga inserts for my 20.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

live4point

Re: any body ever use reducers in their scatter gun?

Post by live4point » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:57 am

I have.I had a set of 410 reducers for a 28 gauge o/u I had.They were alright to play with,but I personally didn't want to fool with them for hunting.When opening an ejector gun with them you need to catch them as they come out of the gun or you will be looking around in the grass for them,I also had to push the empties out of the reducers with a stick as they were tight in them after firing,they also dirty up your bore pretty good,shells probably don't get as clean of a burn in the larger bores.I didn't think they patterned quite as good,but I judged it by how they hit clays,never patterned them on paper though.Like I said before,fun to play with but I wouldn't fool with them for hunting,but if you want to,they can be used to kill a bird.if your on your on,and birds will fall.

MTR

Post by MTR » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:01 am

I have a set of Seminole Chambermates for my 16ga Uggie SxS. They convert the 16 to a 28 - yes another goofy gauge that not many shoot - but, I have a reloader in 28ga and it's much cheaper for me to shoot clays and skeet like that than it is to try and find 16ga shells to just go and blast at clays - I save them for Mr Ruff and Mr. Timberdoodle

The camber mates are only maybe 3.5" long but they have extractors milled into them. They have an "o" ring to seal the insert into the chamber. You lube up the o-ring and align and insert them into the chamber. They go in easy, and as long as you have aligned the extractor correctly, they stay in the chamber just fine, and the ejectors/extractors of the gun work just fine. So you don't loose the insert or have to manually take the shell out each time you shoot and open the gun - it functions just like it would if you were shooting the gun's gauge.

I have seen no difference in the patterning at the board and I shoot similar numbers at skeet and sporting clays as I would when shooting the gun's standrad gauge. You must use either AA or Rem STS/Nitro in them. They require a higher quality shell - so the cheap Rio's, SuperSpeed or Gunclubs with steel heads may not work and require manual extraction. I shoot AA's and have not had a single issue yet. Have put about 2 cases of AA 11/16oz reloads through them.

Seminole gun works ( chamber mates) is moving right now and you can't get to the website. I have spoke with a friend of the owner and they are still in business. I don't know if they make a 20 to 28 insert due to the wall thickness required to mill the extractors in. A few pics of my 16-28's

Last edited by MTR on Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

live4point

Post by live4point » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Yours are a lot different than the ones I had MTR,I believe mine were called "lil skeeters",they were just an aluminum tube,not as long as yours either.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:06 pm

J&R,
I have a set of the LiL Skeeters to shoot 28's from my Elsie 20 Gauge double gun. The problem is when you go to reload it takes way to much time, especially in the Grouse woods. Some time just invest in a 28 Gauge double gun, CZ actually has a decent little 28 Guage, on the correct frame, for a very reasonable cost. If you want to invest a little more money the new L.C. Smith 28 Guage is a very nice Spanish made 28.
RGD/Dave

My answer to 28 Gauge inserts

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:06 pm

Dave, I'd be afraid to take that gun out to chukar country. I'd hate to scratch something that nice! I shoot an old 20g SxS and if I slip and it hits the ground no worries. :D That said, I would like to get a new SxS pretty soon.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:01 am

Brad27,
I understand your point and because I use my 28 gauge gun when dog training I am looking into picking up a CZ 28. The Elsie 28 is part of my L.C. Smith Gun collection and I have decided not to use it as a training gun, I will Grouse & Woodcock hunt with it only, as I do the rest of my Elsie double guns.
Pine Creek