Retirement gun?

treedaddy

Retirement gun?

Post by treedaddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 am

I will be retiring in about 5 years and I have hinted to my wife and girls that I would like a nice 12 gauge for my pheasant hunting trips. I have a Browning Sweet 16 for quail hunting here in Tennessee and a 12 gauge Stoeger that I have used for the past 3 years on my South Dakota trips, especially while hunting in cattails and in nasty weather. The Stoeger is not the most reliable, (some light primer strikes from time to time), so I would like a nice walnut 12 gauge to hunt the CRP fields. Browning Silver, Maxus, Benelli M2, Montefeltro, SX3? What are the advantages of one over another? I like the way the Stoeger shoots, but I can't get used to the small safety compared to my Browning.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Retirement gun?

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am

Get the new browning A 5 Coming out soon.....Parts will probably never be an issue but if they are they are made here in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2M-VUkR ... r_embedded
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

codym

Post by codym » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:54 am

I've never had the maxis, or the browning silver. I have had a SX2 and currently have a M2. I personally never really liked the SX2, it gave me alot of problems. I had to replace a broken safety, and a magazine tube all of which failed when a flock of ducks would be sailing into the dekes. I really like my M2 and the older super 90. They are well made and they use the same chokes as my berettas. The other nice thing about the benelli's is that you don't have to clean them near as often as a gas gun. I have owned alot of semi autos in the past 10 years and all of gas guns have required a lot of maintenance to keep them in the fight. This is why I prefer o/u's but for a auto my choice is the benelli.

treedaddy

Post by treedaddy » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am

codym,I am looking at the M2 for that reason. I will look at the new A5 when they come out also. I am not the most dedicated at cleaning guns.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:49 am

Sounds like your looking for an auto loader. I'm not big on them, actually seldom ever even pick one up. But when I was hunting grouse in Montana the best gun by far I ever used on them was a Browning Double Auto. What a slick gun! Unfortunately they haven't been made in a long time so you'd have to find a used one. I think the drawback to them was the only held two shot's, one in the chamber and one in the magazine. If you find one you might handle it a bit.

BTGW, I'm not a big Browning fan either.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:38 am

treedaddy,
Consider a new Ugartechera Grade V, either in a 16 or 12 Gauge as your retierment gun, in my opinion they are some of the very best modern sidelock double gun made today for the money a mans expends. $3,000 - 3,900.
If you really want a big time retierment double gun, I suggest a #5 L.C. Smith or Monogram Gun in 12 or 16 Gauge.
RGD/Dave

A L.C. Smith Monogram 12 Gauge on Guns America for $10,500 - Serious Retierment Gun
http://gastatic.com/UserImages/11971/97 ... 261286.jpg

Ugartechera Grade V - A very nice Retierment Double Gun around 3,200
http://www.doubleshotguns.com/images/st ... /view1.jpg

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Friend of mine had a Ugartechera, real nice gun.....but it developed a buldge in the barrel about half way down. He talked to the Ugartechera dealer he bought it from plus another and they both suggested he needed a new barrel set. They told him the guns were not mass produced and each hand fitted and he would have to send in the reciever for barrel replacement and that the cost was almost what he paid for the gun orignially. This was some years ago. He opted to sell the reciever to the dealer for possible parts and not dump all that money back into it.....kinda a shame. Maybe Ugartechera's manufacturing process has changed and parts are more easily obtained....i dunno, just something to think about.

FN parts are US made and always available.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 am

BD68,
This is a 1st if it really happened, did you see the gun? Seems to me Uggie would stand behind the repair of the BBls or replacement of them, if a bulge occured during normal shooting use. If the BBls were faulty I can't see why Uggie would not replace or repair them, especially if the man was the original owner.
RGD/Dave

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 am

Go with the Montefeltro but you should really consider the 20 guage over the 12 guage if you are primarily going to use it for upland hunting. I lugged a 12 gugae around forever hunting pheasants because I was convinced that it was necessary. I always wanted a 20 guage Montefeltro and finally last September I bought one. It is the only gun I shot while pheasant hunting this year (and I shot more birds this season than ever before).
From my experience there is absolutely no difference in your ability to kill the big roosters. Sure I missed a few but no more than I did with the 12 guage.
Much lighter and plenty of kill power.

treedaddy

Post by treedaddy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 am

windswept,
What are the differences between the M2 and the Montefeltro?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:40 am

treedaddy wrote:windswept,
What are the differences between the M2 and the Montefeltro?
The most noticeable difference that I can tell is the Montefeltro has a really slim forearm while the M2 is wide.
The Montefeltro also is a nice looking gun and can be had in a variety of finishes with a focus on looks the M2 is black or camo all business no looks. If weight is an issue look at the Benelli Super-Light, 6.1#, 12 gauge.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Nikegundog is correct about the differences. One other big difference is the raised rib on the M2 vs the standard on the Montefeltro. Go into a gun shop and pull the Montefeltro up and then pull the M2 up and you will see what I'm talking about. I really prefer the raised rib on the M2 but I wanted the wood grain instead of the black so I wound up with the Monte.
I think when Nike says super light he means the ultra light. At one time I was really interested in an ultra light 12 guage but I was told by a gun shop owner that they have been having problems with stock cracking due to the light weight combined with the recoil of a 12 guage. He went on to say that Benelli has been fantastic about standing behind the gun and repairing all problems but it's still a hassle.
The ultra light has the raised rib that I like and the wood grain! When I was in the market I was trying pretty hard to buy a good used gun and since the ultra light is so new, finding a 20 guage used was impossible so I went with the montefeltro. If I was buying new I'd definately own the ultra light in a 20 guage.

P.S. I also own the M2 in a 12 guage and there is nothing wrong with that gun but when it comes to comfort and weight the 20 guage is the way to go!

Red

Post by Red » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Consider a new Ugartechera Grade V, either in a 16 or 12 Gauge as your retierment gun, in my opinion they are some of the very best modern sidelock double gun made today for the money a mans expends.
x 2..
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

For a retirement gun go big or go home :D . I would look at the Montefeltro or the Ultralite from Benelli. I am a sucker for a wood stocked gun.

However...... if I was gona ask for a retirement gun the top of my list is a Ruger Gold Label.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:20 am

I have an SX3 and love it. I am not a fan of Benelli simply because from my personal experience it can be very difficult to get parts, you can't call and talk to anyone at the company, and they do not return e-mails. Customer service does not seems ot be a priority for Benelli.

But if it was me, I'd be looking for something old and American made, such as an A.H. Fox or L.C. Smith. At the moment I am drooling over a particularly nice L.C. Smith Field in 16 gauge, and part of me says to buy it now because I won't be able to afford it when I retire...

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am

NJ GSP,
Man do I agree with you, grab the 16 Gauge L.C. Smith if you can, they are fine field guns and if you get an older one they are very very high quality American made weapons. Depending on your monitary situation you might consider something like
the 16 Gauge Elsies below as retierment guns.
RGD/Dave

16 Guage, DT, 28" BBls, choked IC & M, French Walnut & Splinter Fore End, 6.0 in weight.
A beautiful Grouse gun.

If your monitary situation allows a 16 Guage two BBls set might be more to your liking.

L.C. Smith, Special order 00 with #1 Gun Engraving, DT, 2 sets of 26" BBls, one Choked for Grouse, Woodcock & Quail, the 2nd choked for Pheasant & Ducks, each BBl has its own special ordered fore end, French Walnut thru out, a very serious retierment Elsie.
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:31 pm

I would stick with the Sweet 16....a 28" modified plain barrel would be swell and easily found.
Mine worked a treat on a dozen wild Kansas roosters last week.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:50 pm

I am a loyal Benelli customer. Anyone that knows me, knows that. :lol: That being said, the Montefeltro is IMO a nice and very reliable gun, but its kind of homely looking. Like the girl at the high school dance (you've all seen her) She ain't dog ugly, but not too many dogs are chasin her either!) I am in love with the Benelli Legacy's. I have a LTD ED one, a Legacy 28, and the new Performance Shop SuperSport which utilizes the exact same frame as the SBE, SBEII, and Legacy, and Executive line of shotguns.

Benelli's customer service is second to noone in my experience. I had a chunk break off the pistol grip on my LMT ED Legacy last year when it was COLD COLD COLD out and I about cried as my dealer where I bought it said the stock was $600. I sent it back (4 years after initial purchase) with a letter explaining the situation, and they put all new wood on it and sent a letter explaining all that was done (replacement, servicing, etc) and thanked me for being a loyal customer.

I couldn't be happier with their product and services.

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy gun hunting! :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:I am a loyal Benelli customer. Anyone that knows me, knows that. :lol: That being said, the Montefeltro is IMO a nice and very reliable gun, but its kind of homely looking. Like the girl at the high school dance (you've all seen her) She ain't dog ugly, but not too many dogs are chasin her either!) I am in love with the Benelli Legacy's. I have a LTD ED one, a Legacy 28, and the new Performance Shop SuperSport which utilizes the exact same frame as the SBE, SBEII, and Legacy, and Executive line of shotguns.

Benelli's customer service is second to noone in my experience. I had a chunk break off the pistol grip on my LMT ED Legacy last year when it was COLD COLD COLD out and I about cried as my dealer where I bought it said the stock was $600. I sent it back (4 years after initial purchase) with a letter explaining the situation, and they put all new wood on it and sent a letter explaining all that was done (replacement, servicing, etc) and thanked me for being a loyal customer.

Benelli might not have invented ugly, however that are the front runners in promoting it, first with the black plastic theme, now with the Nascar stickers on them.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 pm

nikegundog wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:I am a loyal Benelli customer. Anyone that knows me, knows that. :lol: That being said, the Montefeltro is IMO a nice and very reliable gun, but its kind of homely looking. Like the girl at the high school dance (you've all seen her) She ain't dog ugly, but not too many dogs are chasin her either!) I am in love with the Benelli Legacy's. I have a LTD ED one, a Legacy 28, and the new Performance Shop SuperSport which utilizes the exact same frame as the SBE, SBEII, and Legacy, and Executive line of shotguns.

Benelli might not have invented ugly, however that are the front runners in promoting it, first with the black plastic theme, now with the Nascar stickers on them.
Well, just about every Gun mfg has a product line of Synthetic guns. (or what you call plastic) I think the other you refer to is the "American Hunter" series or something to that effect. YES, they are Gawdawful looking. WTH were they thinking. :roll: :oops:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

USMC

Post by USMC » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:14 pm

IMHO a special event gun, in this case retirement, should be something unique!

Get a nice SxS or an o/u! 8)

An auto is something you sneak home and when asked by the gate keeper you answer; always had it! :D

Get something you really like....even if it's just an auto...!

Regards and enjoy :mrgreen:

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:18 pm

When I retire I hope I can treat myself to exactly the same thing, a sweet upland gun. I'm gonna want a SxS with 26" bbls, chokes, double triggers and a straight English stock. Likely in 20 guage. Treat yourself, you deserve it.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Bang! - Bang! Done...... Crap, I am carrying a worthless stick.... Sure wish I had a few more shots. :wink: :mrgreen:

To each their own... I've owned REALLY nice OU's and Really nice Autos. They each have their place. I have nothing against OU's, I won alot of Trap comp's with the one I sold last spring.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 pm

I like having two chokes better than having three shots. I am a big fan of SKB sxs's and o/u's.
That being said I do have a Benelli Ultralight that I use on rainy days. It is a good reliable gun that is pretty much weather proof. For an automatic, It's not too ugly.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm

highcotton wrote:I like having two chokes better than having three shots. I am a big fan of SKB sxs's and o/u's.
That being said I do have a Benelli Ultralight that I use on rainy days. It is a good reliable gun that is pretty much weather proof. For an automatic, It's not too ugly.
I am a fan of SKB's too. The pic in my avatar with an O/U is the gun I sold last spring. SKB 785 Sporting Clays. They are nice guns. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:06 pm

for pheasants, i would use only 1 gun.BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12 GA WITH 28 INCH BARREL.

but i am a SEMI auto fan.gas systems on beretta are very nice on recoil.beretta semi are very nice in the URICKA line.they feel LIGHTER than they are,very good balance.
now,they are over 1,000 dollars now.i paid 700 for mine at "bleep" 4 years ago.they come with real nice gun case and 5 chokes.

sooooooooo,last week i said,SPROUL YOUR URICKA 12 GA IS FOR OPEN FIELD PHEASANT HUNTING.
its fine for woods after grouse BUT with 28 inch barrel which balances BEST of sizes, its just not quick gun for grouse in thick stuff.
so, i bought a FRANCHI AL48 20GA ,26 INCH BARREL for my grouse gun.

it is unreal light and forearm fits your hand nice.i am really like gun. it was 700 dollars at ables ammo.
feels real good after long walk in woods.
finish on barrel/receiver is flat black finish. i like shiny but i notice that this finish seems to not scratch on brush like gloss finish does.
this is NOT gas system like my favorite BERETTA .its inertia system,like benilli.
the beretta 20 ga you dont feel a thing do to gas .but inertia,i could feel the difference but no worry on hunting.
if i was shooting clay birds, no way i would get FRANCHI but for hunting, yes, its LIGHT and much CHEAPER than the beretta or benilli.

FRANCHI 20 ga in 26 inch barrel are very hard to find used.lion country supply told me, SPROUL THEY JUST DONT SHOW UP ON OUR SHELVES,THE HUNTERS KEEP THEM .
of all semi shotguns i have had this FRANCHI is best to carry and handle and good price.
only complaint is WHY THEY DONT GIVE YOU A NICE CASE LIKE BERETTA DOES?
cardboard box really pissedme off.
take care

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Franchi, which is owned by BENELLI :wink:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:36 pm

If you have your heart set on an auto (and already have a nice sweet 16), I would lean towards a montefeltro. I like lighter/trim/easy carrying guns though--your preference might vary.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 am

It's all about proper fit & personal preference. The older I get the more I like carrying a lighter gun all day. I've had 'em all, OU, SxS, SS, Pump, Semi-Auto in all the gauges & by many of the newer & older manufacturers. Reliability has virtually never been an issue. For upland hunting, I shoot 16 & 20 gauge guns until is gets really cold & windy with few uneducated birds left. Then I switch to a twelve gauge & move down a couple of shot sizes. Many modern guns come with various shaped shims to create the proper individual fit. For me the deal maker or breaker is the fit, balance & the rib (flat or raised).
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

BigShooter wrote:It's all about proper fit & personal preference. The older I get the more I like carrying a lighter gun all day. I've had 'em all, OU, SxS, SS, Pump, Semi-Auto in all the gauges & by many of the newer & older manufacturers. Reliability has virtually never been an issue. For upland hunting, I shoot 16 & 20 gauge guns until is gets really cold & windy with few uneducated birds left. Then I switch to a twelve gauge & move down a couple of shot sizes. Many modern guns come with various shaped shims to create the proper individual fit. For me the deal maker or breaker is the fit, balance & the rib (flat or raised).
Darn, a voice of reason. Don't know if I can handle that

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:32 am

Not from what I've ever witnessed.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS